Pelicans Report

Thread: Winn-Dixie will anchor new Mid-City shopping complex

NOLA Winn-Dixie will anchor new Mid-City shopping complex

Plans are shaping up for a new Winn-Dixie anchored shopping center in Mid-City that will erase a prominent pocket of blight and interact with the proposed Lafitte Greenway bicycle corridor.

Stirling Properties hopes to break ground in September on the $25 million to $35 million Mid-City Market at the site of the former Harry's Ace Hardware building on 301 N. Carrollton Ave. and the Bohn Ford building at 401 N. Carrollton Ave. Both properties are under contract.

"We're working through the process for permitting, finance and design," said Townsend Underhill, vice president of development for Stirling.

Stirling has signed a lease with Winn-Dixie Stores Inc. for a 53,000-square foot grocery, Underhill said. The Mid-City location will be modeled after the Winn-Dixie store on Highway 21 in Covington, which opened in February 2010 as a national prototype for the Jacksonville, Fla., company.

That store has stained concrete floors, high ceilings, soft lighting and a 30-foot open-air covered entryway with produce displayed farmers market-style in open boxes. The store also has a yogurt bar, olive bar, salad bar, wing bar, and a seafood case that's about twice the size of a regular store, as well as nuts and dried fruit sold by the pound.

The regional vice president for Winn-Dixie in the New Orleans area was traveling and couldn't be reached for comment about the plans.

The grocery store will be set at the back of the Bohn Ford site, and an additional 55,000 square feet of retail space will dot the rest of the property. Underhill said that Stirling is negotiating with about a dozen additional retailers, but no other leases have been signed.

The latest version of the site plan names Office Depot, Petco, Verizon, Felipe's burrito, Pinkberry frozen yogurt, Five Guys burgers and fries, and Pei Wei Asian diner as possibilities.
    http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...re_new_mi.html

lets hope that concept isnt the design, b/c the anti-atlanta theme looks like atlanta.

PLEASE: buildings in front, parking behind.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

The Times-Pic buried the lede

There's going to be a Five Guys Burgers!!

Mid-City Market has inked tenants, plans to break ground in January

Developers hope to break ground in a few months on a new Winn-Dixie-anchored shopping center that will eliminate the last pocket of blight along a now-thriving North Carrollton Avenue commercial corridor. An official from Stirling Properties said Tuesday that the company has selected Donahue Favret Contractors Inc. to build the Mid-City Market, which in addition to the 53,000-square-foot supermarket will include a mix of smaller retail outlets.

Stirling expects to close on financing for the more than $25 million project in early December and begin construction in January, said Townsend Underhill, the firm's vice president of development.

Underhill said about 91,000 of the 107,000 square feet of space at the site has been leased.

In addition to Winn-Dixie, Office Depot, Jefferson Feed, Verizon, Felipe's Taqueria, Pinkberry frozen yogurt, Five Guys burgers and fries, and Pei Wei Asian diner have signed on as tenants. Plans call for the site to be open by Thanksgiving 2012.
    http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...nked_tena.html

In n Out opened a distribution center near Dallas. Based on operating distances out West, New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana may be able to enjoy and double double animal style on game game day.

I think there is already a Five Guys in Covington, if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 42
    In n Out opened a distribution center near Dallas. Based on operating distances out West, New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana may be able to enjoy and double double animal style on game game day.

I think there is already a Five Guys in Covington, if that helps.
    Someone recently told me that there are plans for a In n Out near or on Magazine Street. Never heard anything about it ever again. Was starting to think she was wrong, but maybe not...

As for the Mid-City development, can't be too upset with Office Depot (badly needed), Jefferson Feed, Fellipe's, and Pinkberry. I'm not crazy about Five Guys (I know some are), and Pei-Wei is great...the first couple of times. It gets old real fast-everything tastes the same after a while. My main issue with the development is the design-it really looks like Orlando. The positive is that the design picture in the article must not be the exact plan since the piece says they plan on renovating the Harry's building. All in all this project is a big +.

mid city coming back to life lots of new investment. and construction on hospitals jsut getting started

Someone told me In n Out in the Quarter, which is doubtful.

The burbs makes more sense . . . Metairie . . . somewhere with a big parking lot to handle the drive through line.

I hope Jefferson Feed doesn't move to this location from Jeff and Central, but it sounds like they might . . . I'm hoping for an additional location.

Quote Originally Posted by 42
    Someone told me In n Out in the Quarter, which is doubtful.

The burbs makes more sense . . . Metairie . . . somewhere with a big parking lot to handle the drive through line.

I hope Jefferson Feed doesn't move to this location from Jeff and Central, but it sounds like they might . . . I'm hoping for an additional location.

They have one in SF steps from the end of the Embarcadero streetcar line and across from Fishermans Wharf that has no drive thru and it was packed, a location in the Quarter would probably be similar. It is also worth noting that there was a Fat Burger in the quarter prior to Katrina, which never reopened but it always seemed busy.
    In America there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans everywhere else is Cleveland. - Mark Twain

Interesting. I've only seen a few, and they all had the drive up thing. I'm glad to know that they are flexible.

Such a thing as you described would be great in the Quarter.

I also understand that the redevelopment of the Riverwalk is going to be anchored by a Neiman Marcus (it is still up in the air if the location will be a smaller store or their outlet/discount style Last Call store) and possibly a movie theatre. Whatever the case the plans call for either true upscale retail or upscale outlet type stores. I also understand that Neimans does a HUGE amont of mail order business from NOLA, which probably is playing into their decision. I would hope for upscale as Destin has the upscale outlet facility covered, whereas (aside from Saks) one from this region has to travel to Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta for true upscale retail.

When is riverwalk deal to be announced

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geaux
    lets hope that concept isnt the design, b/c the anti-atlanta theme looks like atlanta.

PLEASE: buildings in front, parking behind.
    Agreed, parking in the back will make this project look so much better. In 5 years I think we can all see what this will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by bandogo
    When is riverwalk deal to be announced
    I'm not sure, but it can't come quick enough. This city needs and deserves a nice upscale shopping mall or hell, just a mall period! Canal place has some nice stores, but not many. The river walk is ideal due to its location, not only to the heavily yuppie populated CBD, but also to the Convention Center and the cruise ship terminals.

Mid city market finally started construction this week

I just found out that there's a Pei Wei on Vets.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Where also getting an outlet mall on the Six Flags/Jazz land grounds. This sucks, we have plenty of space threw out the city to make a mall, but not much to put an amusement park at! They didn't sign off on the mall yet, but it's a sure thing you can say! I'm also trying to get a protest or something done so they can re-open the park! The rides are savable because they was running last night, with lights because of a movie. I want to start a protest to open the Six Flags back up but I'm to young and don't have any help!
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I just found out that there's a Pei Wei on Vets.
    Nice! I liked Pei Wei when I was in Indy. But I'm not going out to nearly Kenner to get it. Guess I'll wait til the one in Midcity opens.

Thread Information