Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wrestlemania

Yea it's frustrating being a Wrestling fan nowadays. The lack of build and a sense of wrestlers going on a quest for titles is what frustrates me the most. WWE doesn't have time to build up interesting feuds because there's so many damn PPV's now that things just get thrown together, and there's always some stupid stipulation instead of just 1 on 1 settle it in the ring. Not to mention that tag teams, and mid card titles mean squat now. I remember when tag team matches, and mid card titles were sometimes the main events, and those belts meant something. Nothing means anything anymore. And am I the only one that so tired of 3 way matches? And don't get me started on TNA . That show is a train wreck and it's a miracle that they are still in business. Horrible tv that show is.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    It's because most of the writers today are twenty-somethings that couldn't make it in the world of sitcoms. The WWE is no longer scripted by the old time guys familiar with the wrestling business but peers of Stephanie McMahon.

Yea I agree. I just can't understand why, with business being down as it is, that they wouldn't want to cut the number ppv's, build an intriguing long term story, then at one of the major ppv's close the chapter, and start something new. That draws buys and ratings imo. Not a 4 way title match in a chamber with a belt on a ladder ppv every few weeks. Part of what made wrestling so special at one time was the emotional investment you had with the characters, the good guy and bad guy, and the thrill of victory and agony of defeat. You suspend your disbelief that it's all a work, and it sometimes felt like a real competitive sport. With what UFC is doing right now, you'd think wrestling would get more sports like I guess you could say. I know TNA tried a rankings system a while back but that went nowhere.

I guess I can always go back and watch the old Flair vs. Steamboat matches to remind myself of what wrestling should be.

Well I'm sure it's no surprise that Vince McMahon is more about the bottom line than the quality of the product -- and it's hard to fault him for that. I'm sure they've run the numbers and decided it was more profitable to crank out an endless amount of pay-per-views than cultivate storylines. It is probably even truer now in the digital age where they can sell it direct through the website without dealing with cable systems.

I agree, though, while people are willing to suspend their disbelief to a certain extent; when you make the titles meaningless and have nearly a dozen of them (which I don't know for sure... I know they had a different set when they split the RAW and Smackdown 'brands' ) then people stop caring. Of course that happened as early as the short-lived Hardcore title. An interesting idea that was absolutely ruined and made into comic relief with the belt changing hands after seconds and ten times a night. It all stems from McMahon monopolizing the industry. He was at his best when he had the competition of WCW and even ECW. After he took both over he just had way too many wrestlers to deal with and had to create half a dozen new titles and crossovers and a bunch of other nonsense.

Taking over WCW was one of Vince's major ambitions and I remember the night it happened and the 'gloating' WCW Nitro he made. However, the great irony is that ever since his overall ratings have been in steady decline. To be fair that probably isn't the only reason and I'm sure there are a bunch of other demographics that come into play.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 05-11-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster
    It's because most of the writers today are twenty-somethings that couldn't make it in the world of sitcoms. The WWE is no longer scripted by the old time guys familiar with the wrestling business but peers of Stephanie McMahon.
    Actually, a lot of the WWE's creative team are old vets like Sgt. Slaughter, Michael Hayes, Arn Anderson but they have hired some Hollywood writers.

I think one of the biggest factors in WWE's demise was the Lesnar situation. Vince wanted him to be the #1 guy and positioned him as such. When Lesnar left, Vince got scared that it would happen again. Now it seems that whenever someone is pushed to main event status (CM Punk, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Miz) they are often depushed later on to keep them in check. Thus, Vince has failed to make his next generation of stars and is still relying on Orton and Cena.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

It all stems from McMahon monopolizing the industry. He was at his best when he had the competition of WCW and even ECW. After he took both over he just had way too many wrestlers to deal with and had to create half a dozen new titles and crossovers and a bunch of other nonsense.
    That's why it's so frustrating to see TNA just totally fail as a company. If they got their act together and overhauled everything from the top down, they could be a viable #2 promotion. Instead they pay top dollar for old ex stars, bury their young talent, and put on a product that's just so dumb it's pathetic.

Taking over WCW was one of Vince's major ambitions and I remember the night it happened and the 'gloating' WCW Nitro he made. However, the great irony is that ever since his overall ratings have been in steady decline. To be fair that probably isn't the only reason and I'm sure there are a bunch of other demographics that come into play.
    MMA I'm sure has something to do with it as well. Especially PPV buyrates. A lot of the people that grew up during the attitude era have gone on to UFC and have probably lost a bit of interest in wrestling now.

Yep, I forgot that. MMA is extremely popular and -- as it isn't rigged -- actually gets covered on ESPN and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ReedSpeed
    That's why it's so frustrating to see TNA just totally fail as a company. If they got their act together and overhauled everything from the top down, they could be a viable #2 promotion. Instead they pay top dollar for old ex stars, bury their young talent, and put on a product that's just so dumb it's pathetic.

MMA I'm sure has something to do with it as well. Especially PPV buyrates. A lot of the people that grew up during the attitude era have gone on to UFC and have probably lost a bit of interest in wrestling now.
    I agree on TNA. They have blown a huge opportunity.

I'm not sure I agree on MMA effecting wrestling's popularity. I haven't run across a lot of converted fans from the Attitude Era. There is a pretty substantial % of MMA fans that are also wrestling fans. I think wrestling's demise has more to do with 1) poor creative decisions and 2) people uploading broadcasts to sharing sites.

I'm interested in the direction TNA or as they are now known as "Impact Wrestling" is going in. It's obvious that they plan to go in the direction of where "wrestling" is an accepted term. TNA isn't going to match the WWE in any way or form from a buisness perspective but they can find their way as an alternative to the WWE.

If TNA can find their way as a wrestling company that combines great in ring action with good storylines then maybe they have a chance of long term survival.

As far as MMA goes. Wrestling actually got me into MMA back in the day. When Ken Shamrock came to the WWE it peaked my interest. I have been a fan since.
    Last edited by pharcyder; 05-15-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    MJR

Agreed. TNA has been too much of the really bad 1999-2001 WCW for as long as I can remember.

Wade Keller brought up one interesting note.. going to a commercial break during a match is like the NBA going to a commercial break during play. The matches need to be the focal point for the shows for the "wrestling matters" campaign to hold true. Wrestling should be about the title belts, thrill of winning, and the agony of defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by pharcyder
    I'm interested in the direction TNA or as they are now known as "Impact Wrestling" is going in. It's obvious that they plan to go in the direction of where "wrestling" is an accepted term. TNA isn't going to match the WWE in any way or form from a buisness perspective but they can find their way as an alternative to the WWE.

If TNA can find their way as a wrestling company that combines great in ring action with good storylines then maybe they have a chance of long term survival.

As far as MMA goes. Wrestling actually got me into MMA back in the day. When Ken Shamrock came to the WWE it peaked my interest. I have been a fan since.
    Yea it's something to keep an eye on, but if the same people are in charge of booking "Impact Wrestling", I don't expect the product to change. A name change is all fine and good, but if the company is not committed to push new talent, and change the booking philosophy, it's not going to make a lick of difference. It's kind of like what Harvey says about the Hornets, you can't keep putting band aids on a gunshot wound and expect it to get any better. This is how I view TNA. It's like they have no long term plan to better the product. I actually watched Impact the other night to see some of the reveals and name change, and in 2011 we had Hogan, Flair, Bischoff, Jeff Jarrett, Mick Foley, and Chyna in one segment together. I'm just so tired of these people, been watching them since the 80's and into the 90's, it's over get off my tv. And last night's PPV Tommy Dreamer goes over AJ Styles, the supposed face of TNA. That's just asinine. So, while I commend them for wanting to be wrestling, and not "entertainment", if you don't book your talent better, nothing is going to change.

You guys hear Macho Man died?

All-time wrestling great Randy "Macho Man" Savage died in a Florida car wreck Friday after suffering a heart attack behind the wheel, according to TMZ.com.

The 58-year-old Savage, a one-time minor league baseball player who helped catapult Vince McMahon's WWF into a huge success during the mid-'80s, was killed in Tampa, said his brother, fellow ex-grappler Lanny Poffo.
    Link

He snapped into his last Slim Jim. Heart attack but I'm going to guess it was induced by years of steroid abuse.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar

Wow...Macho Man was lookin' a bit rough.

Ok, the first pic is funny.

Eh, he didn't look rough. He always looked a little crazy. The white hair is what makes it look like that. He still worked out.

Macho Man is great. R.I.P.

Sharp-Shooting Serbian HornetsDude3160's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReedSpeed
    And last night's PPV Tommy Dreamer goes over AJ Styles, the supposed face of TNA. That's just asinine. So, while I commend them for wanting to be wrestling, and not "entertainment", if you don't book your talent better, nothing is going to change.
    Exactly. Especially when they did the whole Hardcore Justice/ECW's 200th reunion. They basically just pushed all of their talent aside and let these old, washed up ECW guys, except for RVD and Jerry Lynn, get a pay day instead of focusing on their TNA talent. And when Dixie said on Impact a few weeks before the PPV on how what Hogan meant to the 80s, ECW meant to the 90s. Are you kidding me!? This shows why TNA is a laughingstock and how Dixie Carter is not fit to run a "wrestling" company.

My favorite guys in TNA are Fortune mainly because these were TNA originals that were homegrown guys that started with the company when they were doing PPVs every Wednesday back in 03/04. And they have stuck with the company through everything. AJ, Kaz, Daniels, and Beer Money, especially Bobby Roode who shines on the mic.

Dreamer going over AJ is just embarrassing. Dreamer should be retired and he's one of those guys who just can't let go of their careers, along with Hogan and Flair. Dreamer was better 10 years ago and Swagger told Dreamer one time on the WWECW show that "it ain't 1997 anymore Tommy." I've been to two TNA house shows, back in February at the uno arena and last month in BR, and all of these fans just love Dreamer and love chanting ECW. And I admit I was a fan too of his about 10 years ago but ECW died 10 years ago. I just don't get it.

And I was at the Extreme Rules PPV back in 09 at the N.O. Arena when Dreamer won the WWECW title and I was just disappointed because I felt it should have gone to Swagger, a rising star at the time. And it just so happened that Dreamer left the company 6 months later to join TNA. So great choice Vince
    "Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn. One 'star' who taught another 'star' how not to be a 'star' " - Jim Henderson

"Oklahoma City can go to hell" - Random caller on the Hornets post game show

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man. WHOO!!!" - "Nature Boy" Ric Flair

Scott Cody on Byron Scott: "He was there during the Hornets best and worst season. His legacy, most likely however, will fall somewhere in between..."

Wow. The blows just keep coming down on WWE. In the last week, I've read about HHH saying he's "basically retired", Kharma being written off TV for her pregnancy, CM Punk likely leaving before summer's end when his contract expires, and Big Show taking time off again.

We enter the dead zone! Contributor accfsu34's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria
    Wow. The blows just keep coming down on WWE. In the last week, I've read about HHH saying he's "basically retired", Kharma being written off TV for her pregnancy, CM Punk likely leaving before summer's end when his contract expires, and Big Show taking time off again.

Wow didn't know CM Punk might be leaving, oh well it wasn't like he was being used properly. How do yall fell bout the R-Truth push? Personally I like it, I would like it even better if he cut the platts off his head, but thats me. R-Truth= the new angry black man! lol

Quote Originally Posted by accfsu34
    Wow didn't know CM Punk might be leaving, oh well it wasn't like he was being used properly. How do yall fell bout the R-Truth push? Personally I like it, I would like it even better if he cut the platts off his head, but thats me. R-Truth= the new angry black man! lol
    I love it! He's been the star of RAW for weeks now. His facial expressions are exquisite. I lost it when he asked the fan in the crowd," What's your son's name. Wait, lemme guess: lil' Jimmy?"

R Truth has alot of old school in him. Today, all these new heels seem to just read off a script and have the same generic mannerisms. R Truth seems to be able to have a good feel for the crowd and veer off script a bit to draw some heat.

There is a reason people quickly became bored with Swagger, McIntyre, Sheamus, Barrett, Dibiase, and those types after a hot start. They had no ability to bring anything new. They all just followed a script and have done the same promo over and over again. Their mannerisms are the same. Their interaction with the crowd is horrible. Del Rio is starting to become stale already because he brings the same exact thing over and over.

WWWYKI!!! needs a push!!!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Three things...

1) CM PUNK CM PUNK CM PUNK CM PUNK!!! Please for the love of God let this whole contract issue be just him taking a break and coming back for Wrestlemania or Rumble!! I would love it if somehow he got involved in the Rock Cena match.

2) R Truth and Lil Jimmy is probably the most hilarious thing I've seen in wrestling for a while.

3) I'd like to see more development out of ZACK RYDER and Dolph Zigler! WOO WOO WOOOOOOOOo

The Punk thing is a work. No way he shoots on McMahon/Steph/Trips like that without permission. It's part of a story line. I'm guessing he'll take a little time away and then come back. There is no off season for what these guys do. He's been working/traveling/beating up his body for 6 straight years. He probably needs a 3-6 month break.

This coming Monday night...Punk (who the WWE web site says has been suspended indefinitely) will do a run in. No way a truely suspended person does a run in.

R-Truth's work with the "little Jimmy" gimmick has been fantastic. How long can it last. Can he be a one trick pony? This story needs some character development and new twists. Doing the little Jimmy thing for months and months will become old at some point.

A lot of the locker room guys (including Cena) like Ryder...but for some reason WWE won't or can't get him going.

Dolph seems to be involved in a push right now. Let's see if they stick with it our abandon his push like they've done with Miz, Sheamus, Barrett, etc. WWE says they want to build up the young guys, but rarely stick with a guy and push him into that top card level in a sustainable way.

Sharp-Shooting Serbian HornetsDude3160's Avatar
    I agree the Punk promo was one of the best things I've seen on RAW since the Nexus invasion last summer. WWE managed to screw that up, but we can only hope and beg WWE does not screw Punk's thing up. Even though it was a work, Punk still spoke from the heart and meant every word. Everything from Cena kissing Vince's @$$ to being frustrated he's not in the WM main event to Heyman helping him get started, every word was true. When he came into the WWE 6 years ago, Paul Heyman saw something in him and almost everybody was against him, claiming he has an attitude problem and so forth. But the thing is he has been reliable, busts his hump night in and night out, and yet he is passed over by seeing guys like Del Rio and Miz get pushes and not him.

It all goes into the fact that Vince likes to create his own characters and how Vince likes big guys. CM Punk created his own name and his own character from ROH and I think Vince still gets irritated by it.

IMO, I think Punk will take a little break and return around Rumble time. Punk has always been entertaining, heel or face; and WWE should not let him slip away.

Love the R-Truth gimmick. He's finally interesting and wound up to get over as a credible heel in a matter of a month's time.

One rumor is Vince won't push Ryder because "Vince hates the Internet."

Glad to see Dolph with the US title, but very disappointed he's not in MITB. I really look forward to MITB every year because it's the one time an up-and-coming star is almost guaranteed a title reign (i.e. Punk, Miz, Swagger). For RAW, Del Rio is almost guaranteed to win because a lot of people are saying he will cash in on Cena or Punk that night. If not Del Rio, Riley could win it but it's way too soon for him. Miz could win it or even Kofi. For SD, my top 3 are: Sheamus, Barrett, Rhodes. Rhodes could be a huge dark horse to win it.

Thread Information