Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wrestlemania

Wrestlemania

Hey everyone! I just moved to Kenner temporarily a couple of weeks ago, and I was wondering if there are any sports bars that show Wrestling PPV's. I need a place to watch Wrestlemania in two weeks. Yea I know, I still watch Wrestling! lol. Thanks

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    I've never seen a place that showed Wrestlemania, or any other wrestling PPV, like they did with boxing. Hell, I don't think places show boxing PPVs anymore. With all the copyright stuff regarding the broadcast of shows/events, I guess people are scared now.

I just came back from Atlanta and did the whole Wrestlemania experience. New Orleans really needs to get a hold of this event for the city. It's alot like the NBA allstar game. Lots of stuff going on. They had some art deal Wed, Golf tourney Thursday, WWE Axxess Friday-Sunday, Wrestlemania Sunday, and finished with Monday night Raw. Would bring in alot of money into the city no doubt. My cheap self pumped alot of money into the Atlanta economy this weekend.
    MJR

I'm not sure exactly how the selection process works, but a friend of mine who follows these things more closely (and actually travels to WrestleMania every year) told me we've been in contention for the event the last few years. I'm not sure what excactly they would need to deliberate over, but I'd like to see it held here in the near future. In the meantime, they've been holding Raw here more regularly and there's another PPV lined up for October, which is more events than the city was getting in years past.

As to the OP's point, I don't know of anywhere that shows the PPV's anymore. Hooters used to show them pre-Katrina, but never resumed since, even though I'm told it's fairly standard to catch them at any Hooters nationwide. UFC fights, on the other hand, are pretty easy to find on a Saturday night.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyder
    I just came back from Atlanta and did the whole Wrestlemania experience. New Orleans really needs to get a hold of this event for the city. It's alot like the NBA allstar game. Lots of stuff going on. They had some art deal Wed, Golf tourney Thursday, WWE Axxess Friday-Sunday, Wrestlemania Sunday, and finished with Monday night Raw. Would bring in alot of money into the city no doubt. My cheap self pumped alot of money into the Atlanta economy this weekend.
    Lets not forget, Wrestlemania is more of a true competition than the ASG as well.

BTW....I agree, Wrestlemania would be a good event to bring to New Orelans.

Hah, I'll take the Rock vs Cena over the NBA allstar game nonsense anytime.

Sharp-Shooting Serbian HornetsDude3160's Avatar
    I was there too as I was lucky enough to win the SyFy WM sweepstakes. I received Saturday Axxess tix, WM tix, and RAW tix for the night after. It was a lot of fun and Atlanta was a great city to host it.

I know New Orleans has been rumored to host 29 or 30 but I think 30 will go to NYC. New Orleans should have hosted one a bunch of years ago as N.O. is a perfect city to have it.

The locations would be a no-brainer: WM of course at the Dome, Axxess at the Convention Center, and Hall of Fame and RAW at the Arena.
    "Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn. One 'star' who taught another 'star' how not to be a 'star' " - Jim Henderson

"Oklahoma City can go to hell" - Random caller on the Hornets post game show

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man. WHOO!!!" - "Nature Boy" Ric Flair

Scott Cody on Byron Scott: "He was there during the Hornets best and worst season. His legacy, most likely however, will fall somewhere in between..."

It will be interesting to see if Vince will go back to MSG for WM 30. Traditionally they go back every ten years but the WWE seems to be going the stadium route the past decade.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with 60-70k tourists in for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrits
    I'm not sure exactly how the selection process works...
    I'm sure it's as simple as bribing Vince McMahon. They'll fill any stadium with 60-70k -- his big money comes from pay-per-view/internet viewers so, to him, I'm sure one venue is as good as the next.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 04-11-2011 at 06:57 PM.

WM 30 has already been announced as being at MSG. NO is suposed to be in the running for WM 29.
    God Bless New Orleans and God Bless Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_Hornet
    WM 30 has already been announced as being at MSG. NO is suposed to be in the running for WM 29.
    Really? That'd be great. I live in New Jersey so hopefully I save up for a few days to go to a Hornets game and Wrestlemania, and the next year to MSG, since I live very close to it, and maybe go to a Knicks game before it as well

Honestly though I'm fine with watching it on TV. I like big events with commentators.

It wasn't a great PPV. WWE is in a state of flux right now. Their established stars are aging or retiring. The next generation of stars are struggling to catch on due in no small part to poor, illogical booking.

I also think WWE rebranding itself as PG and kid-friendly has hurt its viability in sports bars. To go from the Attitude Era to a completely sanitized show hasn't gone over well with WWE's main demo, males 18-34.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria
    It wasn't a great PPV. WWE is in a state of flux right now. Their established stars are aging or retiring. The next generation of stars are struggling to catch on due in no small part to poor, illogical booking.

I also think WWE rebranding itself as PG and kid-friendly has hurt its viability in sports bars. To go from the Attitude Era to a completely sanitized show hasn't gone over well with WWE's main demo, males 18-34.
    It's mainly due to bad booking for the young stars. The PG itself doesn't hurt the product, it's the way they do it, such as stopping matches because unplanned bleeding happened. If you think about it, pre-PG era have it's handful of embarrassing moments. Big Dick Johnson, stuff I wouldn't want to see with my parents in the room, etc.

Only thing I really want back is the blood for the right matches/right segments.

If it wasn't for Brock, who I'm a big fan of, leaving after two years after them giving him everything Vince might have built more stars, but he was paranoid that something like that would happen again. It's been too long though, and lack of competition isn't helping.

I also hate Vince completly erasing the word "wrestling" from the company, aside from WrestleMania. Hopefully Triple H being able to pick wrestlers to sign now will help the talent aspect at least. Sin Cara is a great first choice.
    Last edited by Hornet Blood; 04-14-2011 at 01:30 AM.

I think the PG era has alot to do with the issues with the WWE has right now. Reality tv has overtaken television and people expect to see more reality. If you book Randy Orton to be a bad *** type face, then he needs to act like that. I think what made Austin such a great performer was that he was allowed to be real. He was booked as a tough SOB and walked and talked that way.

As far as the massive amount of new young talent, the WWE has struck gold with The Miz and Alberto Del Rio. They have some potential guys like Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, and Sheamus. For the most part though they have more stiffs that just cant get over or not allowed to because of the PG era. Alot of them like Dibiase, Hart Dynasty, and Kofi Kingston are just boring performers.

I think the PG era has alot to do with the issues with the WWE has right now. Reality tv has overtaken television and people expect to see more reality. If you book Randy Orton to be a bad *** type face, then he needs to act like that. I think what made Austin such a great performer was that he was allowed to be real. He was booked as a tough SOB and walked and talked that way.

As far as the massive amount of new young talent, the WWE has struck gold with The Miz and Alberto Del Rio. They have some potential guys like Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, and Sheamus. For the most part though they have more stiffs that just cant get over or not allowed to because of the PG era. Alot of them like Dibiase, Hart Dynasty, and Kofi Kingston are just boring performers.
    But the booking is just bad. If you've ever seen their version of ECW, guys such Swagger was SO much better there. Why? Because Vince didn't care about the show. TNA has blood all the time for no reason and that has got them nowhere. They're trying to make Mr. Anderson (AKA Mr. Kennedy) into the new Austin, but he's the most annoying character in wrestling.

Nexus was hot, then it they lost at SummerSlam, somehow got some momentum back, then continued to look like goofs again. Cena vs. Barrett at Mania would have been big, but they ruined so many things.

Zack Ryder needs to be used. He's my favorite in the company. If you haven't seen his YouTube show, check it out. It's great.
    Last edited by Hornet Blood; 04-15-2011 at 07:16 AM.

I love Long Island Iced Z. WOO WOO WOO...you know it. I'm going to try and be the next broski of the week. Hah.

TNA is a mess. I actually enjoyed watching it before Hogan/Bischoff got there. Now its a clusterbomb each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Blood
    It's mainly due to bad booking for the young stars. The PG itself doesn't hurt the product, it's the way they do it, such as stopping matches because unplanned bleeding happened. If you think about it, pre-PG era have it's handful of embarrassing moments. Big Dick Johnson, stuff I wouldn't want to see with my parents in the room, etc.

Only thing I really want back is the blood for the right matches/right segments.

Sin Cara is a great first choice.
    I can agree on the booking but disagree, in part, on the PG label. The biggest hindrance right now is the lack of memorable moments for the young stars. The CT doesn't let anyone get momentum. They push someone then inexplicably depush them ala Sheamus, Kofi, Bryan, Swagger, Nexus.

My problem with the PG era is how redundant it is. The Heel attacks the Face, then the opposite happens the next week, then the storyline comes full circle. While I agree that the AA was sometimes uncomfortable ( Mark Henry with a Tranny, The Outlaws with blow up dolls) there were moments that got the fans invested in feuds. Things like Rock throwing Austin off a bridge, Val Venis' near emasculation, Kane throwing Undertaker into the skeletons of his parents....those were the moments that kept me (and WWE's main demo) glued to the TV. After that, I can't go back to watching things like Tugboat handing out Hulk Hogan friendship bracelets.

I also agree on Sin Cara. I'm a total wrestling nerd. I watch it all and I've always favored the work styles of Japanese and Mexican wrestlers. There can't be enough luchadores in WWE for me. I just hope the rumors about Vince and the CT being apprehensive about Sin Cara's occasional slips isn't going to lead to him being booked like Super Crazy.

I'm kind of interested in seeing if the WWE is going to bring back some vets to balance out their talent roster. Right now Taker and HHH seem to be part time guys but with the retirement of Edge my guess is a full-time HHH is bound to make a return. Jericho's return should be by years end. I think once he finishes Dancing with the Stars and a tour with Fozzy his full-time return should be a big boost. Maybe a Batista return is around the corner.

The WWE could also make use of some actual vets they have on their roster. Booker T is pretty horrible at announcing. Get that guy in the ring. Kevin Nash looks to be in great shape. Saw him at WWE Axxess and the guy looks as good as ever physically. Diesel is jacked.

The young guys have a future but they are very green. The WWE needs to mix the vets and new generation up a bit. Maybe the vets can make up for some of the bad booking going on.

I'm kind of interested in seeing if the WWE is going to bring back some vets to balance out their talent roster. Right now Taker and HHH seem to be part time guys but with the retirement of Edge my guess is a full-time HHH is bound to make a return. Jericho's return should be by years end. I think once he finishes Dancing with the Stars and a tour with Fozzy his full-time return should be a big boost. Maybe a Batista return is around the corner.

The WWE could also make use of some actual vets they have on their roster. Booker T is pretty horrible at announcing. Get that guy in the ring. Kevin Nash looks to be in great shape. Saw him at WWE Axxess and the guy looks as good as ever physically. Diesel is jacked.

The young guys have a future but they are very green. The WWE needs to mix the vets and new generation up a bit. Maybe the vets can make up for some of the bad booking going on.
    It's new for Booker, he's getting better too. Cole is the one who's been doing this for many years and is crap at commenting (he's a great heel otherwise).

Nash wrestling? No way. Now he might be good at commentating. Plus he was never that good in the ring and moves much less that he already did. The Royal Rumble appearance though was great and he looks in great shape.

Jericho and Rey are the type of vets you want around full-time, using several a lot the way they do is not. For quite some time now they've been dependent on them. Most of the times someone new got the title, the run was a joke.

Jericho and Rey are great at putting others over, and are great in the ring.

As far as a vet who does deserve a run, Christian. One of the best and never got one of the big ones.
    Last edited by Hornet Blood; 04-18-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Guys like Nash and Booker do not need to be FT wrestlers but guys who can get involved with some of the younger talent to help them get over. My guess though is that Booker T can still hang with most of the talent in the WWE as a FT guy.

Christian does deserve a title run. His run in TNA as the main guy was probably their most entertaining programming.

Maybe it's just my old school bias but I prefer the days when they want the 'character' route. No, guys like Hillybilly Jim, George the Animal Steele, or even the Doink the Clown didn't make any sense from a 'reality' stand point but it was entertaining. I know wrestling is staged so I watched it for the entertainment factor. Granted I haven't watched the WWE regularly since the 'Attitude' era but the few times I've caught it on television it just seems like everyone wants to be Johnny Cool or some generic iteration thereof. Hardly anyone wants to do the gimmick characters. The personalities are all the same. Steroid enhanced young hipster #1 vs. steroid enhanced young hipster #2. I don't care if someone is a technically sound wrestler. Mic Foley wasn't a technically sound wrestler but he knew how to take blows, had a fairly quick wit, and knew what he looked like and played it to its full potential.

Actually, scratch that, I saw one good 'character/gimmick' guy named Santino Morella. The character was unintentionally self-effacing and funny as hell. Unfortunately I think they used him more of a punchline than a headliner.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 04-19-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Characters are dead. That era of wrestling dies when the Undertaker and Kane retire.

Wrestling as a whole will follow shortly after... Well, I dunno, how are the rating these days? I remember checking a couple of years ago and they paled in comparison to the late 90's/early 2000.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster
    Wrestling as a whole will follow shortly after... Well, I dunno, how are the rating these days? I remember checking a couple of years ago and they paled in comparison to the late 90's/early 2000.
    Raw does anywhere between a 3.0 and a 4.0% depending on how big the show is, probably averages about a 3.3. Smackdown does anywhere between 1.7 and 2.2 probably averages about a 2.0. WWE looking at getting their own network soon - I don't know if they will have the market for it. One thing I never got is with WWE focusing more on kids why not have a cartoon for kids, could have wrestlers of all generations in it - I mean they have done movies and divulged into other areas.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709
    Raw does anywhere between a 3.0 and a 4.0% depending on how big the show is, probably averages about a 3.3. Smackdown does anywhere between 1.7 and 2.2 probably averages about a 2.0. WWE looking at getting their own network soon - I don't know if they will have the market for it. One thing I never got is with WWE focusing more on kids why not have a cartoon for kids, could have wrestlers of all generations in it - I mean they have done movies and divulged into other areas.
    Cena pretty much tends to the kids. Not that it's the same thing you're talking about, but yeah.

And getting ratings is definitely good, but their PPV buys is pretty bad because their booking is crap.

RAW felt like TNA this week.

Thread Information