Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Realistically who would you trade Emeka for now?

Realistically who would you trade Emeka for now?

Outside of Dwight Howard I really can't think of a single center in the NBA I'd rather have than Emeka. The only ones that might be better are guys that have serious injury red flags and we can't afford that with our lack of depth.

Kinda odd when a year ago we'd have all dealt him for expirings.

Melvin Ely, Sean Marks, and Hilton Armstrong

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Andrew Bogut, Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol (maybe, but more than likely yeh I would).

These 3 might be the only "true centers" that I'd trade Okafor for.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I wouldn't trade Okafor for any other center in the NBA outside of Dwight.

Chemistry is too good and he's most durable center in the NBA.

None. Some of us have been supporting him all season long. His game tonight was magnificent!

Quote Originally Posted by fearthehat
    Andrew Bogut, Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol (maybe, but more than likely yeh I would).

I'll give you Bogut.

Lopez has been terrible this season, especially rebounding. Defense is pretty bad too. Okafor is a better fit for this team.

Gasol is talented, but he hasn't done much this season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar

Those are the number of games Bogut has missed in the past 3 years. Give me a more durable Okafor who hasn't missed a game in over 3 years.

btw I think if the Blazers had offered us something like this

Paul/Okafor for Roy/Oden/Batum/Bayless/1st Rounder we would have accepted it (especially around the time Paul "wanted out") and that would have saved their franchise and ended basketball in New Orleans. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Well, im not going off of stats. I'm going off of overall skill. Overall skill, for a "true center", Okafor is the 5th best in the NBA.

Dwight
    Bogut
    Lopez
    Gasol
    Okafor.

That's just my opinion.

Well, im not going off of stats. I'm going off of overall skill. Overall skill, for a "true center", Okafor is the 5th best in the NBA.

Dwight
    Bogut
    Lopez
    Gasol
    Okafor.

That's just my opinion.
    Lopez may have more offensive skills than Okafor, but Okafor is way better defensively and rebounding.

Does Pau Gasol count? right now Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard are the only guys I would easily take.

Quote Originally Posted by AhPuch
    Does Pau Gasol count? right now Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard are the only guys I would easily take.
    I think he meant Marc Gasol

Pau Gasol isn't playing too hot either this season.

nobody

his defense is amazing ... chemistry is everything, as the other said

Those three are having crap seasons. Bogut hasn't truly recovered from his injuries, Brook Lopez is still slow and using him being the no.1 option as an excuse for his poor play and Marc Gasol has been solid but not as good as Mek. I see why you want those 3, cause they're true 7 footers, that being said, the extra 1-2 inches they have on Mek doesn't seem to have affected Mek in games against them. Mek has good strength and wingspan which makes up for going against other centers, if he stays healthy and continue to improve, he's an all-star center. (the only center with a double double in the western conference baby!)

Hornets + Kool-Aid = ??? PyroCross's Avatar
    I'd take Bogut over Okafor, because I believe Bogut needs to be in a non-Skiles system where he would have offensive confidence. And that wrist injury hasn't done wonders for him - can't believe the circumstances - but he'll be back at this best offensively I feel. Okafor's kind of at his ceiling now, Bogut could be a bit more really.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    I think he meant Marc Gasol

Pau Gasol isn't playing too hot either this season.
    Pau isn't playing too hot? Also, you would dump Okafor for Armstrong, Ely or Marks? Are you just trying to be funny?

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Pau isn't playing too hot? Also, you would dump Okafor for Armstrong, Ely or Marks? Are you just trying to be funny?
    Actually Pau isn't playing as well this season as expected. Lakers aren't sure why.

Obviously I was being serious about trading Okafor for those three guys.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Nobody. His contract is still a bit high but he's playing as well as you can expect any non-super-all-world-star center a la Shaq, Robinson, Olajuwon, etc. to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster
    Nobody. His contract is still a bit high but he's playing as well as you can expect any non-super-all-world-star center a la Shaq, Robinson, Olajuwon, etc. to play.
    Exactly this ^

Besides that, he is extremely durable, and you can't say that for many good centers in this league.

I would take Robin Lopez over his brother. He defends and rebounds much better.

Guys who are clearly better at center (when healthy): Howard, Bogut, Amare, Horford, Noah, Varejao, Tyson, Nene

Duncan and Alridge are PF who could easily play center who I'd take over Okafor.
    Last edited by nrockwell; 01-23-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Andrew Bogut is the only one that is actually better. Injury concerns are there though, even though his last one was a freak accident. Okafor has been an 82 game a year player the past few seasons, and as much as peak production is nice, being available consistently is better.

Brook Lopez is awful, the Hornets would be worse with him. Interior rebounding would be pitiful, he's not been that efficient on offense (though playing with Paul and West would help), and he's not the defensive player that Okafor is. Being 3rd in the league in defensive efficiency is a big part of what is making the Hornets competitive.

Marc Gasol would be tempting, but he's not truly "better" than Oak. Oak is still the better defensive player and rebounder. Gasol is better offensively (though looking at Okafor on the Bobcats he was producing similar PPG as Gasol last season). Also this season, Gasol has not been as good and Okafor has definitely been better.

Joakim Noah is a guy that I would take over Emeka for sure.

Al Horford is another one, maybe more so than Noah because he's been healthy, though he's not the same defensive presence.

McGee is tempting, but he can't affect the game as well defensively. He get's a lot of blocks but gets out of position a lot for them.

Lastly, Nene is a guy I like, but the rebounding and defense is not on the same level. His offense would work very well on the Hornets though.
    Last edited by fgrep15; 01-23-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213
    Exactly this ^

Besides that, he is extremely durable, and you can't say that for many good centers in this league.
    this

the guy doesnt miss a game ... thats super important

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    And, honestly, cap-wise (assuming there will be a more significant one in the future) you can't afford to have all-star caliber players at every spot. Granted Okafor's salary approaches that level but sometimes you just have to get by with a solid performer at certain positions and let the bigger talents of Paul and West carry the load. 10 points and 10 boards is nothing to sneeze at.

Thread Information