Pelicans Report

Thread: How does the NBA ownership effect basketball opps?

How does the NBA ownership effect basketball opps?

Forgeting about the business side for a second, which is a complete mess. When (if) the NBA buys the horents, how does this effect the basketball operations? It has been obvious for years now that shinn has taken every short cut possible everything from players to game day experience. Now with the NBA owning the team how do they spend their money? Are they going to allow us to make trades and aquire players? What do you think is the basketball operations limitations? Will the NBA allow us to go over the lux tax?
    Last edited by chubbs91; 12-06-2010 at 01:40 AM.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    The team and the league have agreed on a mutual plan. What that plan is I don't know...but the Hornets will continue to make their own decisions provided it's within the financial guidelines everyone agreed to.

It's in the league's best interest for the Hornets to be competitive...so if they believe they have a shot at a playoff run, I think there is a plan in place which will allow them to stretch the budget a bit.

I assume that the financial guidelines are higher then those with shinn. Also, since it's the nba's team you would think they would make it the most fan involved experience in the league, improving the game day experience and maximizing ticket sales
    Last edited by chubbs91; 12-06-2010 at 01:53 AM.

The reason teams dont like going over the lux tax is because of the fine, so with the NBA owning them they would only be fining themself.

The better the team does -- whether they keep it here or sell it -- the better the NBA's investment looks. So the NBA fix will be in again. This time, Hornets shock the world and win championship with Lebron, Kobe, Durant all fouling out of key playoff games.

From Stern's conference call today, an idea as to future opps:

Quote Originally Posted by David Stern
    For us, the impetus was to act now to keep the team functioning as well as it has been functioning and to seek to maximize revenue during the season that we're in, reduce losses, dialogue with the state and the city and then go from there.
    Q. Can you explain when trades are made, or if a free agent wants to be signed, what is the process that Dell has to go through, do you say yeah, we'll do that trade or we won't do that trade?

DAVID STERN: Actually, the league generally approves all trades, number one. And number two, as far as we're concerned there have been while this process has been going on, there have been two significant transactions. And our response to both of them was you guys are management, you understand your budget and your instructions, just go ahead, because we've got Jack Sperling, Hugh Webber here, and if they recommend it, then we're going to be approving it.

Q. And as far as free agency, how do you do that?

DAVID STERN: What free agents did you have in mind?

Q. David West, say next year, something like that, big contracts.

DAVID STERN: That's a bridge that we're not planning to cross today because right now there are no free agents that I'm aware of and there won't be free agents until July 1 or a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. So we'll deal with the team and all the other issues in that context.
    http://www.pelicansreport.com/HRForu...ad.php?t=63013

Sounds like operations as normal, but within current budgetary constraints - i.e., no luxury tax and watch the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by say-what

Sounds like operations as normal, but within current budgetary constraints - i.e., no luxury tax and watch the cap.
    Also sounds like he is confident that the team will be bought before next summer

Quote Originally Posted by say-what

but its the nba's team so if we go over the lux tax they are taking money from themselves and giving it back to themselves. So in theory we could go as far as we want above the lux tax.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbs91
    but its the nba's team so if we go over the lux tax they are taking money from themselves and giving it back to themselves. So in theory we could go as far as we want above the lux tax.
    I was under the assumption that at least part of the luxury tax money paid is rewarded to teams who are under the tax

Quote Originally Posted by thefuture
    I was under the assumption that at least part of the luxury tax money paid is rewarded to teams who are under the tax
    Exactly. Plus the team is operating as a independent entity, that just happens to be owned by the league. It still has to be accountable for it's obligations, luxury tax included, and those all affect the bottom line and ultimate value of the franchise.

MLB let the Expos pick up Colon when they were in a semi-pennant race under their ownership....

The Yotes added payroll for last year's playoff run...

Thread Information