Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Rate Ariza's defense and offense so far (select 2)

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Defense - A+

5 13.51%
  • Defense - A

10 27.03%
  • Defense - A-

20 54.05%
  • Offense - B

8 21.62%
  • Offense - C

23 62.16%
  • Offense - D

8 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Trevor Ariza

Trevor Ariza

has been slightly disappointing so far...

He offers absolutely nothing offensively, and he hasn't been a dominant defensive force like I thought he would be. Don't get me wrong, he is one of our best defenders, but I expected him to be All-Defense 1st team. Maybe I expected too much? Anyway, I would swap him + whoever for Melo in a heartbeat. We need an elite scorer.

That isn't our problem right now. We need some length if we want to contend and a real starting center.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Trevor has been good for us. I saw on a number of possessions tonight a Utah player cut towards the basket, and I have no doubt if the defender is anyone other than Trevor the cutter gets the ball and scores. He's a great defender, he's a good energy guy, good rebounder. He does offer us some things offensively, but he's way to indecisive at times. I think he could be a 15+ scorer (or atleast help others score with his passing) if he did not think so much and just played.

Quote Originally Posted by AhPuch
    That isn't our problem right now. We need some length if we want to contend and a real starting center.
    I agree that we need another big, but our real problem is scoring at the guard positions. Green is decent offensively. We haven't seen what Jack can do yet, and Thornton isn't getting much playing time. If we had Melo starting, this offense would be through the roof. CP is finding people open, and they have been missing.

How can a defense stop Melo, Belinelli, and DX with CP getting them good looks?

ariza is great on d, not much on offense..if you expected anything more u were setting yourself up for dissapointment

Ariza plays great defense, he may not have the best game offensively but helps our defense. I think he needs to work on actually shooting a wide open shot when he has it. He tends to always pump fake and take a bad drive, he just needs to stroke it.

This team definitely needs more firepower. They missed open shots tonight.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

ariza offense is limited,when hes not making wide open shots we cant count on him being a starter to inconsistent

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP
    Trevor has been good for us. I saw on a number of possessions tonight a Utah player cut towards the basket, and I have no doubt if the defender is anyone other than Trevor the cutter gets the ball and scores. He's a great defender, he's a good energy guy, good rebounder. He does offer us some things offensively, but he's way to indecisive at times. I think he could be a 15+ scorer (or atleast help others score with his passing) if he did not think so much and just played.
    I was hoping that Trevor could come in and knock down open shots, but he hasn't been consistant at all. He has the occasional nice drive/dunk, but that's about all he is doing at the moment.

His defense has been good, no argument. However, I expected him to be elite, while he has only been very good. To give you a reference, I would give him an A- for defense, and a C for offense. I was hoping for A+ and a solid B to a B+ on offense. Like I said, maybe I set my expectations too high.

JUST ADDED A POLL!

Ariza IS a problem right now. He is being given shots like he is a third option on this team. He is NOT a third option. He might be a decent fourth option but not great. I don't care if he's holding his player to a lower percentage if he goes to the other side a chucks up one of his common 3-12 games.

If you had someone like Melo or a legit scorer on the wing who could hit open shots(beli hasn't been it) I could live with him. But right now as a whole I feel he is hurting us. Anything he is giving us on defense he is taking away from us on offense with his poor descision making and horrendous shots and free throw shooting. He has the opposite problem of Marcus Thornton.

Ariza is NOT the issue right now. He's doing what he's done his whole career. It's also wrong to ask him to try and create on his own too much. He's definitely better at doing that than our 3s of the past, but there needs to be more movement on offense. More picks and cuts to make his life easier on that end.

Defensively he's doing what he's always done, and that includes very good off the ball D.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco
    Ariza IS a problem right now. He is being given shots like he is a third option on this team. He is NOT a third option. He might be a decent fourth option but not great. I don't care if he's holding his player to a lower percentage if he goes to the other side a chucks up one of his common 3-12 games.

If you had someone like Melo or a legit scorer on the wing who could hit open shots(beli hasn't been it) I could live with him. But right now as a whole I feel he is hurting us. Anything he is giving us on defense he is taking away from us on offense with his poor descision making and horrendous shots and free throw shooting. He has the opposite problem of Marcus Thornton.
    Exactly right. My only disagreement is with Belinelli. Yes, he has been off for the past few games, but he is a very nice offensive weapon (he also plays very good defense).

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman
    Ariza is NOT the issue right now. He's doing what he's done his whole career. It's also wrong to ask him to try and create on his own too much. He's definitely better at doing that than our 3s of the past, but there needs to be more movement on offense. More picks and cuts to make his life easier on that end.

Defensively he's doing what he's always done, and that includes very good off the ball D.
    No one is asking him to create on his own.... CP is finding him WIDE OPEN, and he is missing most of his shots.

Some of yall are clueless. Ariza is a role player who plays hard 'D', and will make a 3 or two here and there. He's always been like that, we knew what we were getting when we signed him.

In my eyes, he has done everything I expected him to (he actually led the league in steals at one point) and might have even over achieved a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy
    Some of yall are clueless. Ariza is a role player who plays hard 'D', and will make a 3 or two here and there. He's always been like that, we knew what we were getting when we signed him.

In my eyes, he has done everything I expected him to (he actually led the league in steals at one point) and might have even over achieved a bit.
    Exactly. The problem lately has been the offense as a whole. They can't beat the zone consistently, and now they are having trouble moving the ball. The assist total is becoming too reliant on Paul alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy

You are joking, right? He has been missing shots left and right.... I expected him to come in here and hit 60% of his wide open shots - not actually shoot 60%, but at least hit more than he misses for the wide open ones. He has been very solid on defense, but I would not say stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman
    Exactly. The problem lately has been the offense as a whole. They can't beat the zone consistently, and now they are having trouble moving the ball. The assist total is becoming too reliant on Paul alone.
    Right, but that wouldn't be a problem if people were hitting their open shots that Paul creates for them. Ariza is the main culprite with Belinelli nipping at his heels (at least for the last few games).

I expected this from Ariza offensively. He was terrible last season in Houston and really couldn't improve because he's a poor shooter and ball-handler.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    I expected this from Ariza offensively. He was terrible last season in Houston and really couldn't improve because he's a poor shooter and ball-handler.
    Yeah, but supposedly he struggled because he was their #1 option. He was supposed to come here and hit the open 3, which he hasn't been doing.

Thread Information