Pelicans Report

Thread: Is Monty Williams the right hire for Hornets?

Is Monty Williams the right hire for Hornets?

This is one guys' opinion on each teams new coaching hire this offseason.

Monty Williams, New Orleans Hornets

BACKGROUND OF HIRE: Too many injuries and not enough money have hurt the Hornets. Two years ago, a succession of injuries to center Tyson Chandler deprived New Orleans of its rim protector and alley-oop option in a big three with Paul and David West. After Chandler was dealt to Charlotte in a payroll-crippling trade for Emeka Okafor, Paul's injuries kept him on the bench for much of last year, a season in which general manager Jeff Bower also took over for Scott as coach early in the season. Before Bower's departure, he made an unsuccessful run at luring Thibodeau to replace him as coach, then tapped Williams, another well-regarded assistant coach, from the Trail Blazers.

LENGTH OF CONTRACT: Three years.

JOB PRIORITIES: Keeping Paul happy and healthy, at least until his contract expires in two or three years (he has an option to terminate before the 2012-13 season). Watching his buddies from the 2008 Olympic team congregate in Miami while his Hornets fixated on a potential ownership change and avoiding the luxury tax provoked wanderlust in Paul this offseason. New general manager Dell Demps went all-in on retaining Paul by trading his promising backup, Darren Collison, to obtain Trevor Ariza, who, paired with Paul, creates the best ball-hawking backcourt in the NBA. Now it is up to Williams to surround Paul with the right schemes and personnel to foster wins and loyalty from the face, heart and soul of the franchise.

FORTES AND FLAWS: Williams, 38, the youngest coach in the league, worked for the past five years under Nate McMillan in Portland, where he was credited with assisting the development of young forwards Nicolas Batum, Martell Webster and Outlaw. Williams announced that he would focus on improving team defense -- an appropriate priority, given that the Hornets fell to 21st in defensive efficiency last year after ranking in the top 10 the previous three seasons.

PLAUSIBLE GOAL FOR 2010-11 Fifty wins. A healthy Paul working with dynamic swingmen such as Ariza (on defense) and Marcus Thornton (on offense) can be an elite backcourt. Williams has to conjure ways to stop the slow slippage in power forward David West's game and maximize the limited skill sets of Okafor and backup center Aaron Gray. Ariza needs to return to the defensive role he was known for with the Lakers and fix the horrible shot selection he had in Houston. But above all, the team needs a vintage season from Paul.

THE RIGHT HIRE? Good question. Williams has a short résumé. But being able to engender the trust and support of Paul would cover a multitude of sins. Without Paul's embrace, the coach's tenure in the Crescent City is likely to be brief.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz10PgOMkgT

That just about sums it up. I'm really excited to see what this team can do, but also scared that this could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    Oh how time will tell..

I love the hire, young coach with fresh ideas and energy, remember Sean Payton was a young and up in coming coach when the Saints hire him. I'm not saying Monty is Payton, but you get the point. Young coach with a young team can grow together especially if the chemistry is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger
    I love the hire, young coach with fresh ideas and energy, remember Sean Payton was a young and up in coming coach when the Saints hire him. I'm not saying Monty is Payton, but you get the point. Young coach with a young team can grow together especially if the chemistry is right.
    It would be nice if he turned out to be an NBA version of Payton, but his career thus far has been nothing like Payton's was before he was hired.

I think Coach Williams has potential. Hopefully he has surrounded himself with competent people.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Some may doubt Demps, but at least Demps conducts himself like he's competent. I mean, hiring a regional scout? For real? A scout whose job it is just to scout one region of the world?

We didn't have a scout just to scout the NBA before.

Times are a changin'.

*The Original Get Buzzin* GetBuzzin's Avatar
    Monty Williams is only the Hornets coach because he was a C H E A P hire.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    It would be nice if he turned out to be an NBA version of Payton, but his career thus far has been nothing like Payton's was before he was hired.
    Agreed. He seems to be a promising young coach. His major talent is developing younger players. We have at least 5 youngsters that could really excel in this league.

Demps is 100X better than what we had! He doesn't even have to do that much b/c CP is the coach on the court. The biggest thing is just seeing which rotations he goes with and how he develops chemistry w/ all the new faces.

I trust Monty more than Demps.

Quote Originally Posted by TomLukeCool
    I trust Monty more than Demps.
    Actually thats not true.

I think Demps goal is more long-term. He's trying to transform this team and build brand new one around CP3.

PLAUSIBLE GOAL FOR 2010-11 Fifty wins.
    Wow. Do we dare to dream?

Quote Originally Posted by iedmunds
    Wow. Do we dare to dream?
    With a healthy Paul it certainly wouldn't be a wild dream. 50 would be 13 more than we had last season without him.

Current video on NBA.com's front page.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...s=iref:nbahpt2

Quote Originally Posted by GetBuzzin
    That doesn't mean he's the wrong guy for the job. If he gets the team to buy into his focus on defense and efficiency then he's exactly what this team needed.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GetBuzzin
    All the other coaches hired had better have cost twice as much as Williams did to justify that. And Doug Collins doesn't count, the dude's gonna be back in an announcer booth in two years.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty D
    That just about sums it up. I'm really excited to see what this team can do, but also scared that this could be a disaster waiting to happen.
    I think that's a good way to put it considering we have seen both glowing praise for a man that has never actually coached a game, created a game plan, or performed the actual duties of a HC before he took this job as well as the overly negative comments (namely from myself, ) about what he can actually do considering who he works for.

All the other coaches hired had better have cost twice as much as Williams did to justify that. And Doug Collins doesn't count, the dude's gonna be back in an announcer booth in two years.
    And to be fair ... Monty could very well be back to addressing player's concerns for a HC in another 2 years.

I still say the Hornets needed more structure that a well experienced HC could have provided. But, we will see this season. Even though I've been negative I would love to see Monty really shine with this franchise and finally put us on some kind of positive track.

Maybe Monty could get guys to buy into his system by saying he is on a mission by God...like the Blues Brothers.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    I still say the Hornets needed more structure that a well experienced HC

Maybe lazy punks like Juju and Posey needed structure, but this team is now full of hungry guys competing for jobs and outside of CP3 and West, if someone isn't putting forth effort on defense they now have at least one player behind them that will. Monty focusing on fundamentals with a hungry team of guys scrapping for playing time with the point guard that can make them look like an allstar is a recipe for success.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    its all about situation, fresh ideas, gm/coach on the same page, and players respecting you. a guy like thibodeau had the experience and rep, yet he couldn't find a head coaching job. you can't be stubborn these days. players have too much power. all they have to do is quit on you. the bulls went out of their way to diminish vinny del negro, but it didn't stop a team from giving him another chance (even if it was the clippers). its all about respect. if monty put players in a position to succeed, develop a reputation of being firm who also will play the best players (regardless of age), he will be okay. a coach is only as good as the assistants around him and having players that fit his system.

The Swagger
    Quote Originally Posted by BZZZzzzzzzzzzz
    Demps is 100X better than what we had! He doesn't even have to do that much b/c CP is the coach on the court. The biggest thing is just seeing which rotations he goes with and how he develops chemistry w/ all the new faces.
    Demps isn't the coach.

Maybe for no good reason than just optimism, I'm putting a lot of faith in Monty's ability to get guys to buy into a new system and attitude. What has happened in OKC has proven that a young team w/ a young coach can do great things, as long as everyone's on the same page.
    Last year, we didn't even have a page to get on! And we STILL managed to have a pretty decent season (for the West) without our best player. This year there will be something for the players to believe in and rally around.
    I expect a very good season, maybe a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805
    Some may doubt Demps, but at least Demps conducts himself like he's competent. I mean, hiring a regional scout? For real? A scout whose job it is just to scout one region of the world?

We didn't have a scout just to scout the NBA before.

Times are a changin'.
    c-c-can we do that? Is it allowed? Oh, hell, they better get everything they can out of that guy before Stern hears about this.

Thread Information