Pelicans Report

Thread: Draft lottery rules

Draft lottery rules

I've been reading up a bit on the draft lottery but I'm still not 100% sure how it works. The info I saw on it was that the 13 teams with the worst records get into the lottery (this would include the Hornets if they keep up their current pace..they're 10th worst now). Now, how exactly is it weighted? I know the worst team has a greater chance of getting the 1st pick but how is this accomplished? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Charter Member
    This may not be exactly correct, spongey, but here's how I understand it:

The draft lottery is exactly that - a lottery. Balls representing each lottery participant are placed in a hopper and blown around. And then somebody, probably Stern or Granik, reaches in and reads the name of the team on the ball.

It is weighted by placing more balls in the hopper for the team with the worst overall record, theoretically giving that team the best chance of getting the first overall pick. Fewer balls are placed for the next worst team, and so on, until you have covered all of the teams, with the "best" worst team having the fewest amount of balls in the hopper, theoretically giving that team the worst chance of getting the first overall pick.

Who's on first?
    Last edited by akshun; 02-08-2002 at 01:03 PM.
    telling it like it is -- akshun

Thanks akshun, I thought that was how it worked. So, they would have to draw for the 1st pick first, take out all of the balls for that team and then draw the 2nd, 3rd, etc... I kind of wish the NFL would do this for the first 4 or 5 picks, it would make for a much more interesting top half of the draft imo.

That's pretty much it akshun. I just checked my media guide from the NAB Draft when it was here in Charlotte, and that's it. Anybody here ever attended an NBA draft? It's kind of cool, but kind of boring also. You sit in the arena for a long time talking about who's gonna pick who and who picked who. Then, every three minutes or so, a litle bald guy pops out of a door and announces, "With the __ pick in the 2002 NBA Draft, the ___ select ___ from ___. ___ is now on the clock." That process repeats endlessly until it's interrupted by , "The ____ have traded their ___ pick to ___ in return for ___. ___ is now on the clock". The ticket was something like $5 or $10. I went just to say I attended a draft. I also slipped into one of the media suites on the way out and picked up 5 or 6 media guides and information packets on each pick.

Charter Member
    I wish the NFL would adapt some form of this system also.

They actually start with the last pick first, though, and work their way up to number one, which would change my answer. It would make sense, then, that the worst team would get the fewest balls in the hopper.

In fact, I'm certain that the worst team gets the FEWEST balls in the hopper because they definitely start with the last pick first.
    Last edited by akshun; 02-08-2002 at 01:14 PM.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    This my be stupid but I thought that there were 13 teams involved and the team with the worst record got 13 balls and the best got 1. Therefore, giving the team with the worst record the best chance. Am I way off or what?

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

If I recall, it is much more complex than that. Each team gets something like a multiple of balls so that there are hundreds of balls in the hamper. And, if I recall, only the top 4 or 5 spots are decided by the balls, with the remainder of the picks in reverse order of record. So, that if a team with the 10th worst record in the league is not there when the 10th envelope is opened, they know they have moved into the top 4 or 5. I think that was how I remembered it, but it could have changed.

Well, weather, they start with the lowest pick and work their way up to number one. The worst team only has one ball and the best 13. That gives the better team the most chance of getting a lower pick. Since the worst team only has one ball, odds are that they'll last longer and get the better pick. Either way though, teh worst team has the odds of getting the best pick.

Only the top 3 picks are decided by the balls(a couple hundred balls collectively with the worst team getting the most balls and best shot at the #1 pick.), after that it goes from worst to best for picks 4-13. What I'm saying is the worst team is guaranteed at worst the 4th pick in the draft.

That being said- the whole draft process is crooked. The balls are drawn in private, only the top officals in the NBA gat to actually see what happens. I can promise you right here today that if the Knicks don't make the playoffs they will get a top 3 pick in the draft. Stern will make certain that a team that plays in one of the top 3 markets doesn't suck to long.

Originally posted by charlottewillke
    Only the top 3 picks are decided by the balls(a couple hundred balls collectively with the worst team getting the most balls and best shot at the #1 pick.), after that it goes from worst to best for picks 4-13. What I'm saying is the worst team is guaranteed at worst the 4th pick in the draft.

That being said- the whole draft process is crooked. The balls are drawn in private, only the top officals in the NBA gat to actually see what happens. I can promise you right here today that if the Knicks don't make the playoffs they will get a top 3 pick in the draft. Stern will make certain that a team that plays in one of the top 3 markets doesn't suck to long.
    I believe you when you say it is crooked. The year the Magic got it was ridiculous. Why does it have to be so private?

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN

I believe you when you say it is crooked. The year the Magic got it was ridiculous. Why does it have to be so private?
    I don't know! Yeah the Hornets got the 1st pick and the 2nd pick in back to back seasons.

The Magic hit the jackpot with #1 twice in a row(Shaq+Penny-actually Webber but was traded for Penny and picks)

Philly got #1 when Iverson came out.

The worst was when Ny got Ewing-they had like a 1 in a million shot and "SOMEHOW" pulled it off.

The NBA should be the SBA(Stern Basketball Association)

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    I thought they drew the balls with all the owners sitting around. Or do they just flip the pretty logos around on that board?

Just flip the logos I'm pretty sure.

Thread Information