Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What does the inevitable hiring of Monty tell us about the State of the Hornets?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH
    Can anyone tell me why is Monty better than Scott? Thanks.
    How are they the same? Besides being black and bald?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddinhead
    How are they the same? Besides being black and bald?
    The question is really about that.What Monty showed that make him a better Hornets HC instead of Scott?

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuture
    NYKF,

You are starting sound like one of those little leaguer dad's who keeps preaching that winning is the most important thing! "If you aren't number one, you are a loser!" I don't find it worth sulking so much if the number one option doesn't appreciate / want the opportunity, that is his choice and he has a right to make that choice. We don't know what the motivating factors behind his decision were, all we can do is speculate. If he doesn't want to come here, it doesn't automatically mean we are the worst situation there is or that we are a bad situation at all. It could be the reason but what are we winning by sulking over it? Take a deep breath and go with the flow. Worrying over things you have no influence over will only cause depression.

More meds please...
    Hey now, I'm not that guy and you know that. I'm still the guy that was praising this roster late in the season, telling fans they were fun to watch ... precisely because winning isn't everything.

My guy was JVG, clearly he wasn't interested. I didn't jump off the deep end back then. I didn't even like TT, I preferred Fratello or Collins because winning right now is not the most important thing, I believed those were the two best guys to clean up the franchise, rebuild our front office, and get our roster prepared for 3 years from now. Over time I became impressed with TT.

Then the leaks started, the rumors, Bower's statements, the retractions, the spin, and it turned me off. The Hornets have basically screwed up two perfect PR opportunities. Winning for me secondary to having this franchise embraced in the city. The new local owner should be a t-ball home run, they have practically made it a miserable process and turned off fans. The coaching search has seemed haphazard even though we know better ... in the end it appears we are hearing a 4 year 2nd tier assistant (meaning he is not an associate HC or lead assistant, it's not an insult just a clarification of his job level) that no one else in the league is serious about hiring.

That's not exciting. I'm not depressed, I'm pissed. This past month has been miserable, we are ending it with Shinn as owner of the franchise and Monty as our HC. Bower is seemingly safe in his position considering we are more than likely going to keep the architect of this mess to teach Monty how to run a team.

This could have turned out much better. But I'm not the looney little league dad screaming about winning, I just want the other parents in the stands to show up and care about it.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    People aren't pissed. You act like people are fuming about this down here. People are paying attention, but a vast majority wants the right choice. There is a certain point where you have to give the org the benefit of the doubt in how they handle this. I would much rather bring in Monty, who is hungry, over Fratello and Collins. Don't think that I, or that others don't care. It's just that there is a point where you have to allow the process to play out, without getting worked up over small details of a conversation that you aren't a part of. Don't always assume the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo
    There is a certain point where you have to give the org the benefit of the doubt in how they handle this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH
    The question is really about that.What Monty showed that make him a better Hornets HC instead of Scott?
    Heart? Passion? Desire? I don't know. No one does.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo
    People aren't pissed. You act like people are fuming about this down here. People are paying attention, but a vast majority wants the right choice. There is a certain point where you have to give the org the benefit of the doubt in how they handle this. I would much rather bring in Monty, who is hungry, over Fratello and Collins. Don't think that I, or that others don't care. It's just that there is a point where you have to allow the process to play out, without getting worked up over small details of a conversation that you aren't a part of. Don't always assume the worst.
    I'm not getting worked up because I want us to bring in the wrong guy. Like I've said, I'm just not convinced Monty is the right man for the job.

I'm also not worked up over the process, just expressing my opinion that Monty is not exactly the most exciting hire we could have made this off season. Just a few weeks ago I was the one defending the process, leaks, and rumors.

Surely any of these guys can be propped up or torn down ... we have all been doing it for a month. I have no idea what kind of system Monty will run or his favored style of play.

Overall, like all of you, I'm expressing my opinion ... and in no way am I saying I'm all knowing or correct, just frustrated. Reminds me of when Floyd was hired and I went all negative and everyone jumped on me for it. I still wish Monty all the success in the world, but let's face it ... the Hornets are an after thought right now and bigger hire would have generated some interest from the casual fan.

This hiring says nothing about the state of the Hornets other than we're not one of the elites. With JVG not jumping back in the pool there really was only one big name coach atop every teams list, Thibodeau. We really never stood a chance which perhaps makes the dog and pony show more telling than the coaching hire on the state of the franchise. Should have swung for the fences quickly and in private then hired the 2nd choice.

Thread Information