Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What does the inevitable hiring of Monty tell us about the State of the Hornets?

What does the inevitable hiring of Monty tell us about the State of the Hornets?

Its an interesting conversation, I think, assuming that the reports are correct that TT has turned us down and that the only other choice is Monty...

What does the hiring of Monty Williams tell us about the state of the franchise?

I think it means one word:

Rebuild.

If we didn't already know we were in some sort of rebuild mode, we know now. The reason why a team hires a young coach who isn't even a lead assistant, usually, is as a kind of interim guy. He takes the team through a rough year or two, develops some talent, and when the team is back to competitive, he gets canned for a more established coach.

Could be wrong on that, he's a very bright guy (4.00 at Notre Dame!).

It could also give us an indication as to where we may lean in the draft. Monty's claim to fame is developing wing players: Brandon Roy, Nicholas Batum and Travis Outlaw. He may want a wing player to develop.

I'm sure there are many other things we can glean from this. What say you?

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    I see this as a possible blessing in disguise. Like other members are comparing it to the situation with Sean Payton. At least that's how I hope it will turn out.

I see that they got one of their top two candidates. Eight people interviewed for the job and two were finalist. Had they missed out on both, I'd say that there is an obvious problem. This isn't fantasy sports. You don't always get your top selection. That doesn't mean that you can't get a good guy for the job.

I've actually said for a long time that I would be happy with either candidate. And I am.

I just think the Hornets will probably go about things a bit differently with Monty in charge instead of TT.

And honestly, that could be a really good thing. They might finally clean house a bit instead of trying to "win now".

Banned
    It tells me they were diligent in their coaching search and got one of the guys they wanted. I like the move and wanted Williams over TT anyway. But it just shows that they felt both MW and TT would be good for their team and they didn't allow TT and his agent to dictate the direction of the franchise. For the first time in a while we have something to be proud of with this franchise.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    a coach who because of his time playing in the nba should be able to relate to the players of today and get through to them. with this being his first head/lead job he will come in hungry. we all know that doesn't amount to success but with today's players and the threat of them quitting on you it is a much needed aspect. we are in a rebuilding mode and could use a transition coach to get through these bad contracts into the upcoming lockout and develop some young talent along the way. its a wait and see situation. its not like he have bunch of depth or legit players to work with. this roster needs to be upgraded regardless of who is coach.

This does keep CP3 happy, he wanted Monty over TT. I know that shouldnt be the only driver, but keeping CP3 hear is a big piece of the puzzle IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by High Speed Kurt
    This does keep CP3 happy, he wanted Monty over TT. I know that shouldnt be the only driver, but keeping CP3 hear is a big piece of the puzzle IMO.
    Keeping Scott would have kept him happier. I am not big on that part of the deal as it just means to me that CP figures he will have more say with someone like Monty (and/or control).

A step in the RIGHT direction...This team needs to completely turnover the roster and develop talent around CP3. Get rid of the bad contracts, draft wisely, come up with a overall team strategy and start rebuilding this team from scratch.

If CP walks, then he walks. One man isn't bigger than the franchise or city. I would have no hard feelings if he decides to go somewhere else while the team is rebuilding. He gotta do what he gotta do.

This team will not be a legit contender for the next 2-3 years, and we are just going to have to live thru that while the team rebuilds.
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet
    A step in the RIGHT direction...This team needs to completely turnover the roster and develop talent around CP3. Get rid of the bad contracts, draft wisely, come up with a overall team strategy and start rebuilding this team from scratch.

If CP walks, then he walks. One man isn't bigger than the franchise or city. I would have no hard feelings if he decides to go somewhere else while the team is rebuilding. He gotta do what he gotta do.

This team will not be a legit contender for the next 2-3 years, and we are just going to have to live thru that while the team rebuilds.
    Well said

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Never been sold on how long it'll take to get a contender out of this team. This change quickly. Not saying next year, but I think we'll be more improved than some expect.

And don't think Monty Williams being the coach is as inevitable as indicated...

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    It means several things ... we didn't get the man or men we originally wanted and had to settle. It does mean we are rebuilding, but it really means we are rebuilding in a different way.

Monty, if hired, would be a possible short term fix. Monty may turn out to be incredible, get us through rebuilding, and then lead us on a 5 to 10 year winning run that is only rivaled by the Lakers and Spurs ... or it means Monty will be with us 1, 2, or 3 years while we are rebuilding only to be fired once CP is gone and we need to "rebuild again".

Sorry guys, I'm just not impressed or excited about Monty. I don't claim to know everything about him or why CP loves him so much, I just know that no other team is realistically talking about hiring him. He is not a top candidat or a top name, he is not the most attractive coach available ... in fact the best thing about Monty is that he has no record to tear down, no system to debate, and nothing he can call his own that we can support.

Monty is the ultimate blank slate. We can rail on JVG, Fratello, TT, and all the other coach because they have several years in the NBA, a record to look at, a system to compare. You can't say anything negative or supportive about Monty because there is nothing there at all.

The state of the Hornets is bad, very bad. We just spent one month looking for a coach, an important coach because we are at a cross roads and could really use a solid HC to build a system yet we are going to hire a 4 year 2nd tier assistant coach. Wonderful!!!

Another way to look at it:

2 to 5 years rebuilding with Monty will more than likely lead to 2 to 5 more years of rebuilding with another coach. Let's just hope Monty comes cheap so we can fire him if we need too. It would be miserable to be stuck with a 2nd rate coach that we can't fire. The ultimate would be hiring Monty, then CP demanding a trade, sticking us with nothing and Monty to rebuild it.

JVG, Fratello, and other of the like are proven LOSERS. Seeing JVG on the sidelines screeming, pointing, and crying every night would drive me and i'm pretty sure the players crazy.

JVG, Fratello, and other of the like are proven LOSERS. Seeing JVG on the sidelines screeming, pointing, and crying every night would drive me and i'm pretty sure the players crazy.
    So what does that make Monty? A proven winner?

If we are going to call all of those men losers, then how in the world can we support Monty? Monty has no record, no system, and has nothing to fall back on. He has been a 2nd tier assistant for 4 years, that is hardly better than the above men you call losers.

Sorry, and I know it's only me that feels this way ... but hiring Monty is embarrassing with all the solid coaches available.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    It means several things ... we didn't get the man or men we originally wanted and had to settle. It does mean we are rebuilding, but it really means we are rebuilding in a different way.
    I don't get you. You are by far the post pessimistic poster I've ever seen. I don't agree with you and I think you are missing out on a lot by having that cynical mindset. Now by all means, don't feel like you need to stop, I'm just sayin'.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    that made me laugh. this is the complete opposite of the the fans who complained about byron scott and his one pose with his arms folded not arguing with refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddinhead
    I don't get you. You are by far the post pessimistic poster I've ever seen. I don't agree with you and I think you are missing out on a lot by having that cynical mindset. Now by all means, don't feel like you need to stop, I'm just sayin'.
    Sorry.

I read lots of reasons why proven coaches are losers, yet nothing of substance as to why a 4 year assistant coach is the man to lead this franchise through rebuilding. I'm just being realistic. If Monty was a hot coaching prospect then other franchises would be interested, right?

I'm not happy with the coaching search, it's made me view the situation as negative, and I'm responding. That is why I'm making sure to post that I'm apparently the only one that feels this way.

I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative, the funny thing is that all season long I was called the hopeful optimist. Monty just doesn't impress me, I'm not sure what most of you guys see in him other than 2nd hand info that CP likes him.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I do think you are overreacting. I don't see how a Monty hiring equates to the franchise being in shambles. Yes, I've read everything you've written and you have yet to convince me. I appreciate alot of your posts, but you are overreacting here.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo
    I do think you are overreacting. I don't see how a Monty hiring equates to the franchise being in shambles. Yes, I've read everything you've written and you have yet to convince me. I appreciate alot of your posts, but you are overreacting here.
    That's fair.

I just feel like the Hornets had a chance to make a real difference with this hire. Monty might turn out to be great, I've never denied that ... even though I've read over and over and over again how all the other candidates are awful coaches that will fail before the first game is played.

Monty is not our first option, by hiring him we are settling. Monty has never been a HC before, he has never even been a lead assistant and only has 4 years on the job. I don't understand how some fans can expect nothing but success from a candidate that has no record.

I'll say it again ... I could be wrong, these are only my own opinions, and I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone. But I feel at least one of us should question why the Hornets are going to end up with Monty when there are much better candidates out there.

I feel like it's Floyd all over again. I was one of the few who said Floyd would be a bad hire, that coming home would not improve his professional coaching ability, and felt Shinn went with the cheap sentimental choice. While this is not exactly the same, I feel like we are settling again. It's made me have a negative outlook on the state of the franchise.

I do think Monty was our number two choice in the process even over some of the more established candidates. Obviously TT was number one, a lot of it due to his experience, and plus his relationship with Bower as well.

We don't know how Monty will be as a head coach. It is the big unknown. Still, most of it depends on the players he's coaching.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I don't think that it's settling, nor is this process embarrassing. They will get one of their top 2 choices. Personally, the only established coach that i wanted was JVG and he isn't going to coach next year. That leaves untested head coaches who have lots of potential. So, from there we narrow it down to two coaches that seem well qualified to take a chance on. from there, we get one of the two. How is this embarrassing? Because we took our time and did a thorough search? I don't think the rest of the country is lookin at N.O right now and thinking that we are an embarrassment.

NYKF,

You are starting sound like one of those little leaguer dad's who keeps preaching that winning is the most important thing! "If you aren't number one, you are a loser!" I don't find it worth sulking so much if the number one option doesn't appreciate / want the opportunity, that is his choice and he has a right to make that choice. We don't know what the motivating factors behind his decision were, all we can do is speculate. If he doesn't want to come here, it doesn't automatically mean we are the worst situation there is or that we are a bad situation at all. It could be the reason but what are we winning by sulking over it? Take a deep breath and go with the flow. Worrying over things you have no influence over will only cause depression.

More meds please...

My problem with this hire is simply how we got here. How can an important decision like hiring a coach take place during a transfer of ownership? If you are going to keep Bower on as GM, Why not just let him keep the title of interim coach, too? Seems to me it'd be easier to let Bower bring in his own guy to help him manage all the duties (like an assistant GM). If this season is disposable, and the Hornets are looking for a throwaway coach seems to me Bower would be the best fit. I don't see the point of letting Bower help manage a coaching search for a coach who will eventually be replaced quite soon anyway.

This franchise is just a mess. The want to "play" with the big boys and wear big boy pants, but they just don't have the chops. Every aspect of the organization is subpar save maybe Hugh and his team of bean counters. I have no idea who Gary Chouest is, but hopefully he has enough business savvy to see that his new venture needs upgrades across the board.
    Chad Shinn's Drinking Buddy.

Can anyone tell me why is Monty better than Scott? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH
    Can anyone tell me why is Monty better than Scott? Thanks.
    He won't be working on his swing and bunker game when the team is in middle of a losing streak. (At least I hope so)

Thread Information