Pelicans Report

Thread: Bulls trying to convince Thibodeau to delay decision

Breaking News Bulls trying to convince Thibodeau to delay decision

On the eve of the NBA Finals, league sources said Bulls management flew to Los Angeles to interview Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau for their head coaching vacancy late Wednesday.

The meeting hadn't taken place as of nearly 10 p.m. Chicago time Wednesday, but sources said both general manager Gar Forman and senior vice president John Paxson were in Los Angeles.

On Tuesday, the New Orleans Hornets offered Thibodeau their head coaching vacancy, adding the stipulation he must decide by Thursday's Game 1. The New Orleans Times Picayune reported the Hornets would turn to Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams should Thibodeau decline.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...thibodeau.html

I like TT.

But why are we waiting for this guy, who's never coached a game, to decide if he's willing settle for the Hornets job instead of the job(s) he really wants like he's Phil Jackson or Pat Riley?

Quote Originally Posted by Nin10doe
    I like TT.

But why are we waiting for this guy, who's never coached a game, to decide if he's willing settle for the Hornets job instead of the job(s) he really wants like he's Phil Jackson or Pat Riley?
    Because he's highly touted and a real defensive gem

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Sounds to me like they were concerned he was going to accept the position. Thats good news I guess. That tells me it's not a forgone conclusion he will say no....unless he was playing them. For not being their top choice, they sure jumped to make sure they had a chance to talk with him. This gets stranger by the minute.

I like TT.

Because your other option is a guy who has never been a lead assistant in the NBA at all.

I have an idea. Hire both!

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay2
    Because he's highly touted and a real defensive gem
    Like i said, i like the guy and wouldnt mind seeing him or Monty get the job but this is insane.

Why after 20 years in coaching is he a must have? Have the Bulls had a great history of hiring coaches since Phil left? I wouldnt get in a bidding war with them

And from what read, TT isnt even the Celtics first choice to take over if Doc leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    I have an idea. Hire both!
    That would be nice. Then Monty could actually become a lead assistant. However, that could cause a divide if CP3 really prefers Monty to TT.

And from what read, TT isnt even the Celtics first choice to take over if Doc leaves.
    If Rivers leaves Kevin McHale will be their next coach.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Because your other option is a guy who has never been a lead assistant in the NBA at all.
    Thye've apparently determined thats their only other option. It doesnt have to be Monty

If they were after a guy this hard with an actual track record, id understand. But neither have coached and if reports are correct and they are high on both prospects , i think you make your pitch to TT and if he starts trying to leverage your offer to get another job you move on.

This is what im saying. This guy is getting painted as the next Red Auerbach, yet his own team isnt even gonna give him their HC job.

What do they know that we dont? Why do they think Kevin Mchale would be a better HC than TT?

This is what im saying. This guy is getting painted as the next Red Auerbach, yet his own team isnt even gonna give him their HC job.

What do they know that we dont? Why do they think Kevin Mchale would be a better HC than TT?
    McHale is a huge name and a Celtic legend. He also is very close with Ainge. That's an easy one.

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    This only tells me that the Bulls are really worried about TT signing with us. I guess we will find out tomorrow?

I understand that.

But i seriously doubt Ainge is gonna, in effect, put his job on the line by passing on this supposed great prospect on his own bench to hire a friend.

Its not like TT lacks any credibilty with Celts fans

Well, I think the organization probably thinks it's too long to wait any further. We need a coach now to prepare for the draft, evaluate prospects and make decisions on the team. A coach hired to close to the season will have lesser time to prepare. If TT doesn't want the job, bring on Monty!

I understand that.

But i seriously doubt Ainge is gonna, in effect, put his job on the line by passing on this supposed great prospect on his own bench to hire a friend.

Its not like TT lacks any credibilty with Celts fans
    You must not have been following the situation. Also, Ainge has never been someone that is scared of taking risks anyway. Do you think the fans in Boston would care if McHale was coach? He is a Celtic legend and has

Quote Originally Posted by Loh_03
    Well, I think the organization probably thinks it's too long to wait any further. We need a coach now to prepare for the draft, evaluate prospects and make decisions on the team. A coach hired to close to the season will have lesser time to prepare. If TT doesn't want the job, bring on Monty!
    I think it is more of a case of the Hornets realizing that if they wait, they will likely lose him to NJ or Chicago anyway. It has been widely known that he is their first choice. This way, they press him publicly and if he turns them down, it looks as if they did all they could. HH alluded to this earlier and it may be the case.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Tomorrow should be...interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    I think it is more of a case of the Hornets realizing that if they wait, they will likely lose him to NJ or Chicago anyway. It has been widely known that he is their first choice. This way, they press him publicly and if he turns them down, it looks as if they did all they could. HH alluded to this earlier and it may be the case.
    Well havent they done all they could? What more could they do besides offer him the job and wait almost a week for an answer?

Wow! McHale was a disaster in Minnesota.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Well havent they done all they could? What more could they do besides offer him the job and wait almost a week for an answer?
    Depends on what you consider "all that they could." They could have moved quicker initially (rather than take 5 or more weeks). Most importantly, they could have handled it better so that at least it looked like whomever they get was their first choice rather than leak everything along the way. The continual leaks also helped other clubs keep up with every move we made.

Thread Information