Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hornets Set Deadline For TT

BTW, Stephen A. did give a huge endorsement for Avery Johnson this morning on wist690 AM. He basically said that TT was the way to go, but didn't understand why we wouldn't hire Avery even though he understood he had baggage. He was pretty much a self indulgent ************ on the radio.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    At least Monty should be an upgrade over Bower who had very little coaching experience.

I'm really surprised Corbin didn't get more consideration. He has way more experience than Monty and would probably take this coaching job. Honestly, 99% of assistants would take any head coaching job.
    Some people seem to have what it takes....but when it comes time to presenting their plan, etc....they don't do so well. Communication is a big part of being a leader. I have no idea if this is the case or not, but it sounds like Monty presented himself and his plan very well....he interviewed well. He had to if he jumped to almost the front of the class. I have no clue how Corbin did...but if we (and others) have talked to him and it pretty much ended there....maybe he's not quite ready....or doesn't present himself and his plan as well. I get the feeling that Monty was impressive and brought substance to the interview and discussion process.

Quote Originally Posted by bschne1
    BTW, Stephen A. did give a huge endorsement for Avery Johnson this morning on wist690 AM.
    Enough said. I guessed as much. He makes my point for me. Like I said before, he's a total idiot. Avery Johnson will be lucky to get a job. He's highly over rated and an arrogant *******....then again, so is Stephen A. No wonder he likes him.

so, HH what is your gut telling you?? TT accepts or rejects the offer??

If he hasn't said no already, I think the Hornets did a stupid move regarding TT by forcing Thursday as the deadline. He might need time after the Nets interview to evaluate things and see if he is high on their list. You never know, he might choose us as a guaranteed position, as the Nets have multiple names. I think we should have at least given him till the end of the week.

I'd rather take a guy who wants to be here over a guy who'll only wants to come here as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP
    so, HH what is your gut telling you?? TT accepts or rejects the offer??
    The cynical me who doubts every media word or leak that comes from the Hornets thinks he already said no and they are just doing damage control. I think I've already said that.

The optimistic me who severely wants to believe that TT is their guy and they've made an offer that says as much....wants to think he'll take it.

My head tells me what I've been saying for three weeks. TT will be difficult to sign and they'll end up hiring Monty.

If we hire Monty I'll be OK with that...but I'm a Thibodeau guy. This is one case where I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Then again, I'm just thankful that we are down to these two candidates. If it were Avery Johnson we were talking about, I'd be posting from the mental hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    If we hire Monty I'll be OK with that...but I'm a Thibodeau guy. This is one case where I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Then again, I'm just thankful that we are down to these two candidates. If it were Avery Johnson we were talking about, I'd be posting from the mental hospital.
    The only reason he's not a coaching candidate is because he's the top candidate for the GM job. With such control and power, he will rename the team after his alma mater.

Your New Orleans Southerners!

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    He said that? Thats funny. I guess he's endorsing Avery too right? Stephen A is an idiot.

I have heard good things about Monty. That said, I don't think anyone is beating down his door to hire him. He's not even a lead assistant. It's a questionable move....and one that we won't be able to judge for a couple of seasons.

If we hire him, Monty will be the equivalent of a rookie. He will make mistakes. He'll make you wonder if you screwed up by not going with someone more experienced. But, just like a rookie, you pick him because you think he has the ability and up side....but just like rookies, nothing is guaranteed. But isn't that life? None of us are born qualified business managers, parents with established credit histories, etc. We were/are all unproven prospects at business and life until we get the chance to show what we can do. Someone had to take a chance on Phil Jackson. Someone had to draft Drew Brees and give him a shot. You know what I mean? Unfortunately, for every Phil Jackson and Drew Brees...there are probably numerous people who failed.
    No.

Unless he is truly a diamond in the rough, this will be a WTF moment around the league.

Time for some football!!!

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    No.

Unless he is truly a diamond in the rough, this will be a WTF moment around the league.
    On the front end I agree.... it definitely lacks impact. What happens in the long term is yet to be decided. Could be a good hire, could stink. Could be Phil Jackson....or Tim Floyd. Phil Jackson's only come around every so often....Tim Floyd's are a dime a dozen. Who knows?

Here is the "wild card" question about Thibodeau. Why did it take so long to even get an offer? 20 years! 20 long years! There has to be more to that story.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    On the front end I agree.... it definitely lacks impact. What happens in the long term is yet to be decided. Could be a good hire, could stink. Could be Phil Jackson....or Tim Floyd. Phil Jackson's only come around every so often....Tim Floyd's are a dime a dozen. Who knows?
    Not good enough to the average fan, who is distinguishable from the die-hard fan. To the average fan, this looks like the club isn't serious about winning after being 2 years removed from a near-miss to the Western Conference Finals. Club would still appear to be on the descent.

Now I am not saying that is the reality on the ground, but it probably would be the overall perception. And as we all know, perception is reality.

Here is the "wild card" question about Thibodeau. Why did it take so long to even get an offer? 20 years! 20 long years! There has to be more to that story.
    This is my question also. I know he's known for his defensive prowess.

But how does a guy coach for 20 years with about a dozen highly respected guys around the league vouching for him and never get a job? Then over night he's a cant miss prospect with teams seemingly knocking down his door, to the point where he's potentially turning jobs downand hand-picking where he's gonna coach next year. Seems unprecedented

BTW, i just read that Chicago exects flew to LA tonight to interview TT

Quote Originally Posted by Nin10doe
    This is my question also. I know he's known for his defensive prowess.

But how does a guy coach for 20 years with about a dozen highly respected guys around the league vouching for him and never get a job? Then over night he's a cant miss prospect with teams seemingly knocking down his door, to the point where he's potentially turning jobs downand hand-picking where he's gonna coach next year. Seems unprecedented

BTW, i just read that Chicago exects flew to LA tonight to interview TT
    From what I understand the reason he hasn't been coaching is because every time he gets into the coaching race he takes too long to make a decision and people stop caring at the end and don;t want to go after him at the end.... Thats why I'm glad the hornets put the pressure on him because he would've lagged it on for quite some time (see: ownership transfer for an example).

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay2
    From what I understand the reason he hasn't been coaching is because every time he gets into the coaching race he takes too long to make a decision and people stop caring at the end and don;t want to go after him at the end.... Thats why I'm glad the hornets put the pressure on him because he would've lagged it on for quite some time (see: ownership transfer for an example).
    So you're saying theres a little Bret Favre in him?

So you're saying theres a little Bret Favre in him?
    Lol. yess but unlike people waiting for Brett Favre, past teams said eff it and hired the next guy.. Hmmm, sounds familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay2
    Lol. yess but unlike people waiting for Brett Favre, past teams said eff it and hired the next guy.. Hmmm, sounds familiar?
    Hopefully Monty's our Aaron Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Nin10doe
    Hopefully Monty's our Aaron Rodgers
    That would suffice

Even if TT accepts the position this team is not competing for a damn thing with this roster. I think some people haven't accepted the fact this team is very much in a state of rebuilding. Hiring a defensive guru is not gonna solve a damn thing when you don't even have the personnel to execute your gameplan.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Nah. To me, rebuilding means CP3 is on the market. We don't need to rebuild.

Retool seems more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805
    Nah. To me, rebuilding means CP3 is on the market. We don't need to rebuild.

Retool seems more accurate.
    We can call it what we want...but it is what it is. Chris knows the score.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Nate
    Even if TT accepts the position this team is not competing for a damn thing with this roster. I think some people haven't accepted the fact this team is very much in a state of rebuilding. Hiring a defensive guru is not gonna solve a damn thing when you don't even have the personnel to execute your gameplan.

True, but it allows you to rebuild with the right mindset with a good coach.

I find it funny that some of you are just so sure that TT would be this sure fire saviour and genius for us. IMO he could be or he might not be that, maybe he is just better suited to be the second banana. As Harvey has said he has a tendency to get a bit overly aggressive with the way he handles his players with all the shouting. The league is full of divas who just won't react to that kind of an approach and can easily just stop listening to that at all. Yes he has the experience from being an assistant in the league for 20 years compared to Williams' 4 years but Williams is no spring chicken either, he played in the league for over 10 years. I do think that TT has the edge over Monty in experience and that experience helps but none of us know what exactly either one of them would be like as a HC and how well would they be able to implement their style and read the momentum during games etc. Both of them are unknowns and I really don't care which one of them will become our head coach. Obviously who ever becomes our HC he will have said the right things in the interview and wants the job, then it's just a matter of whether they can put the thigs they preach in to practice and whether they will be able to form the roster to suit their needs

Quote Originally Posted by thefuture
    I find it funny that some of you are just so sure that TT would be this sure fire saviour and genius for us. IMO he could be or he might not be that, maybe he is just better suited to be the second banana. As Harvey has said he has a tendency to get a bit overly aggressive with the way he handles his players with all the shouting. The league is full of divas who just won't react to that kind of an approach and can easily just stop listening to that at all. Yes he has the experience from being an assistant in the league for 20 years compared to Williams' 4 years but Williams is no spring chicken either, he played in the league for over 10 years. I do think that TT has the edge over Monty in experience and that experience helps but none of us know what exactly either one of them would be like as a HC and how well would they be able to implement their style and read the momentum during games etc. Both of them are unknowns and I really don't care which one of them will become our head coach. Obviously who ever becomes our HC he will have said the right things in the interview and wants the job, then it's just a matter of whether they can put the thigs they preach in to practice and whether they will be able to form the roster to suit their needs
    Until a coach takes over the reigns, no one knows if they will be successful or not. However, I will take the guy with the "skins on the wall" with the superior team over the new guy who is not even a lead assistant on a good team.

Scott Brooks was never a lead assistant and doesn't have 20 years worth of coaching but he looks to be doing fine with a young roster that has the looks like they will be contending for years. Can't say the same about this Hornets roster with all this old garbage.

Thread Information