Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hornets Set Deadline For TT

We don't know what either coach would do in this situation nor do we know how much success they would have doing it. A common but poor assumption made is that past performance in indicative of future outcomes. Each situation is different. Each combination will net a differing outcome. I just hope we get the best coach for the job of coaching this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    We don't know what either coach would do in this situation nor do we know how much success they would have doing it. A common but poor assumption made is that past performance in indicative of future outcomes. Each situation is different. Each combination will net a differing outcome. I just hope we get the best coach for the job of coaching this team.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    I think that is what everyone wants. However, the only way for us as fans to judge the candidates is on past performance.

I want Monty cause CP3 wants Monty
    Bringing it back to the bottom of the map!

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Immediate thought? He's already said no and the Hornets want to hang any negative press they might get on him. It's like saying "hey, we tried, he chose not to come here". By leaking this story, the Hornets are in a position to make TT the bad guy if it doesn't go their way.

Second thought tells me they already have him and this makes them look good. It's like saying the Hornets job is a good one....and if this guy doesn't want it, someone else does. If this is the case, it has me scratching my head though. It's not like we're the Lakers or Celtics. Everyone knows we aren't a destination job.....and we shouldn't act like it until we earn the right to do so.

Third thought says he's on the fence...wanting to see what the others have to say. The Hornets realizing it could become a long drawn out process go with the "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" sell factor. Then again, I'm not sure thats such a great idea as I think TT will be a head coach this year....whether it's with the Hornets or elsewhere. The "where" in the elsewhere is the catch. Where could he end up going that would be a worse situation than the Hornets? After all, our ownership and GM situations are questionable....our roster won't be making him look good any time soon...etc.

My gut tells me that TT will not commit right now. I could be wrong. I HOPE I'm wrong. But intuition tells me that he's already told them that he's going to wait to make a decision. His response will be "I didn't say no, I said I can't commit by Thursday (or any other imposed deadline)". This is the Hornets' way of giving him a last chance to change his mind....while attempting to mainpulate the damage control factor of not being able to get their #1 guy.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I have a feeling, since it's dealing with the Hornets, if he HASNT made a decision, and when he does, if he says NO....The Hornets will extend the deadline lol

Nah, if I had to guess, I think they'll extend an offer to Monty and bring this to a quick conclusion.

If that happens, it falls in place just like I said it would almost 3 weeks ago.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    My gut says that he is as good as gone. Why would someone take a job like that when publicly put into a corner on it? This doesn't sound like two parties wanting to be together. So my working assumption is that TT is out until I hear otherwise. Have a nice dramatic rest of the day!

Signed,

The Hawnitz

Time for some football!!!

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezwax
    I want Monty cause CP3 wants Monty
    Which is the one reason I wouldn't want Monty. Last I heard he wasn't the GM or the owner...

Then again, we don't really know who is either.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    from twitter:

Chris Mannix ChrisMannixSI If Tom Thibodeau passes on the New Orleans head coaching job, he will be blowing a huge opportunity.
    ChrisMannixSI Multiple sources have told SI that Thibodeau is more interested in New Jersey (and to a lesser extent, Chicago) than New Orleans.
    ChrisMannixSI The Nets, sources say, have a mutual interest in Thibodeau but have not identified him as their top candidate as of yet.
    Chris Mannix ChrisMannixSI Friends of Thibodeau are not surprised that Thibs is stretching this process out. He has often had difficulty making this type of decision

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAdmiral
    Which is the one reason I wouldn't want Monty. Last I heard he wasn't the GM or the owner...

Then again, we don't really know who is either.
    Perfect post! You hit every nail on the head.

Reading those things from Twitter, I have to think Thibodeau will decline the offer.

I tend to think it is HH's 3rd thought. It is odd to paint him into the corner publicly during the finals. I also am a bit surprised that he would be interested moreso in the Nets job. That does not seem like the best gig out there. Listeining to the media, most think the Hornets job is one of the better ones available. Who knows? He did meet with NJ recently, so maybe he has a better feel as to how that will go. If he declines our offer, he may feel he is a lock for the NJ job. If he accepts our offer, NJ may have been non-committal. If I were him, I would not wait on the Bulls job as they appear to be searching in a different field than he is in.

The Hornets are setting this up perfectly....they are already know TT will turn them down, but they will not look like the bad guys in front of the fans.

I'm expecting the Hornets to announce Monty Williams as their coach on Friday. At this point I perfer Monty over.

Something about TT is rubbing me the wrong way.
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet
    The Hornets are setting this up perfectly....they are already know TT will turn them down, but they will not look like the bad guys in front of the fans.

I'm expecting the Hornets to announce Monty Williams as their coach on Friday. At this point I perfer Monty over.

Something about TT is rubbing me the wrong way.

I'm on the TT bandwagon and hope he's just on the fence and not sure what he should do......but the cynical side of me that second guesses everything the Hornets release or leak keeps telling me TT has already said no...and now they are in damage control mode.

HH what do you think about Stephen A. Smith saying that the Hornets need to take a drug test if they hire Monty Williams? Is he really that bad of a choice or is that just being over dramatic?

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    I'm on the TT bandwagon and hope he's just on the fence and not sure what he should do......but the cynical side of me that second guesses everything the Hornets release or leak keeps telling me TT has already said no...and now they are in damage control mode.
    That's why when I first heard this ultimatum, l laughed out loud. Really, there was no reason to go to the media and leak the ultimatum. The Hornets could have just gave TT the deadline, and move on after the deadline pass without leaking a word to the media.

At this point most fans just want to know who the new head coach is. People are growing tired of this dumb Soap Opera between the Hornets, TT, and Monty Williams. Hire a freaking coach and lets start our off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by bschne1
    HH what do you think about Stephen A. Smith saying that the Hornets need to take a drug test if they hire Monty Williams? Is he really that bad of a choice or is that just being over dramatic?
    I didn't even know Smith was still out there.

Stephen A. Smith needs jesus.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    PR move -- this means they are hiring Williams. Hornets are in no position to give a guy like TT an ultimatum and there's no reason they couldn't wait until after the Finals.

He said that? Thats funny. I guess he's endorsing Avery too right? Stephen A is an idiot.

I have heard good things about Monty. That said, I don't think anyone is beating down his door to hire him. He's not even a lead assistant. It's a questionable move....and one that we won't be able to judge for a couple of seasons.

If we hire him, Monty will be the equivalent of a rookie. He will make mistakes. He'll make you wonder if you screwed up by not going with someone more experienced. But, just like a rookie, you pick him because you think he has the ability and up side....but just like rookies, nothing is guaranteed. But isn't that life? None of us are born qualified business managers, parents with established credit histories, etc. We were/are all unproven prospects at business and life until we get the chance to show what we can do. Someone had to take a chance on Phil Jackson. Someone had to draft Drew Brees and give him a shot. You know what I mean? Unfortunately, for every Phil Jackson and Drew Brees...there are probably numerous people who failed.

Stephen A. Smith is loud and that's really it. He doesn't know a damn thing about the NBA even though he's supposed to be an analyst. He doesn't even know anything about Monty Williams or anything about the Hornets for that matter. There's a reason he got fired by ESPN. Lot of flash, little substance.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    I admit that I would be less than thrilled with Williams but I'm certainly going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    He said that? Thats funny. I guess he's endorsing Avery too right? Stephen A is an idiot.

I have heard good things about Monty. That said, I don't think anyone is beating down his door to hire him. He's not even a lead assistant. It's a questionable move....and one that we won't be able to judge for a couple of seasons.

If we hire him, Monty will be the equivalent of a rookie. He will make mistakes. He'll make you wonder if you screwed up by not going with someone more experienced. But, just like a rookie, you pick him because you think he has the ability and up side....but just like rookies, nothing is guaranteed. But isn't that life? None of us are born qualified business managers, parents with established credit histories, etc. We were/are all unproven prospects at business and life until we get the chance to show what we can do. Someone had to take a chance on Phil Jackson. Someone had to draft Drew Brees and give him a shot. You know what I mean? Unfortunately, for every Phil Jackson and Drew Brees...there are probably numerous people who failed.
    At least Monty should be an upgrade over Bower who had very little coaching experience.

I'm really surprised Corbin didn't get more consideration. He has way more experience than Monty and would probably take this coaching job. Honestly, 99% of assistants would take any head coaching job.

Thread Information