Pelicans Report

Thread: TT didn't interview with the Bulls yet... (?)

TT didn't interview with the Bulls yet... (?)

The Chicago Tribune reported Wednesday night that general manager Gar Forman and senior vice president John Paxson flew to Los Angeles to interview Boston assistant coach Tom Thibodeau concerning the vacant head coach position. Here's the problem, the Celtics have not been asked, nor have they given the Bulls the go ahead to speak with Thibodeau. "I don't know a thing about it," Celtics' executive director for basketball operations Danny Ainge wrote in an email to the Chicago Sun-Times. "Unless I'm missing something here, everything on the court involving the Boston Celtics -- personnel, coaches, support staff -- is under Danny's watch. Everything goes through him. That's just the way it is in our organization," said Jeff Twiss, Boston's vice president of media relations. "If Danny doesn't know anything about it, quite simply, we're denying it," Twiss added. "I am very surprised. Times have changed, but there still are normal policies and procedures." Not only does this violate league rules if the Bulls speak with Thibodeau without the Celtics consent, it is also bad form to interview a coach on the eve of the NBA Finals. A source also tells the Sun-Times that Thibodeau's first choice is to coach the Celtics if Doc Rivers decides he wants to step down to spend time with his family in Orlando. According to the Daily Herald, Forman and Paxson were going to wait to speak with Thibodeau until after the Finals, but that changed since Thibodeau has to make a decision regarding the Hornets by today.
    ^ So does that mean that maybe he didn't nix the Hornets yet?

It means they may have tampered in some fashion (maybe took him to dinner and made some promises). They did not fly out there just to take a joy ride. If he turned down the Hornets, he sure as hell better have a good idea he is being guaranteed a job elsewhere.

And I'm kind of surprised that Thibodeau is playing such a dangerous game. After waiting 20 years for a HC offer, he gets one from us and rejects it.

Either he has an under-the-table offer, or our job REALLY sucks. Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk
    And I'm kind of surprised that Thibodeau is playing such a dangerous game. After waiting 20 years for a HC offer, he gets one from us and rejects it.

Either he has an under-the-table offer, or our job REALLY sucks. Or both.
    I would hope it is more of having a guarantee.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    He also doesn't need to become a HC this season. Payton turned down a few jobs before he took the Saints job. Lots of teams had their eye on Payton, we got lucky enough to get him ... I believe we were able to get him because with the Saints he got more power than he would have gotten other places.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    It means they may have tampered in some fashion (maybe took him to dinner and made some promises). They did not fly out there just to take a joy ride. If he turned down the Hornets, he sure as hell better have a good idea he is being guaranteed a job elsewhere.
    Tell me about it. If he doesn't, it is very telling and may end up being a blessing in disguise that we didn't land him.

Thread Information