Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would Okafor do at PF?

How would Okafor do at PF?

Assuming this up-coming season is the last for D-West in NOLA since he may opt of out of the last year of his contract, how would Okafor do as the full-time PF?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Bring back the Turtle!
    I am not sold on okafor at power foward at all. Not by a long shot.. but he could probably play better at the 4 spot if he had some help on defense with a legit 7 footer in the paint. His blocks and rebound could go up slightly. If only he could hit a 15 foot jump shot.

I'm sorry Emeka is garbage. He's shown me zero offensive skills except 2 feet from the basket. He's undersized , not a very quick jumper at all and not an overly high jumper either. Hesvso bad offensively that he probably averages 1 out 4 airballs at the free throw line.

I hate the fact that all I hear about him is him doing pilates. That pissed Larry Brown off too.

We will never be a top 5 seed with him in the starting lineup.

Ya know it's funny. Earlier today I was reading about the worst contracts in the NBA in the 08-09 season. Yet we still traded for him.

Miss every jump shot. Exactly what you need in a power forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dat 3
    Miss every jump shot. Exactly what you need in a power forward.
    Emeka wa never a jump shooter, he's a good low post guy, he's a guy that you can guarantee a 20-10 performance. I think its funny how he was doing so well in charlotte and he comes down here and he's garbage?? c',mon now. If Emeka doesn't do well with this next season, THEN we can trade him... IF someone is suitable for us.

20-10? You're kidding right? If Okafor was as good as you think he is, why would charlotte give him up for basically an expiring contract?

thats why i say its funny he was doing that in charlotte and not doing that down here... I would guess they gave him up because of the contract not because of the performance. that's just me..

West wont opt out

Okafor would be a terrible PF. He has no offensive game, and limited athleticism.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30
    West wont opt out
    i agree.

10 points, 8 rebounds a game, blowing up against terrible teams and getting owned against good ones. This is what I expect from him.

Oh, and minimal defense.

Chokafor

Okafor's main positon is the PF, we need to trade West for a good center or id talk with the 76ers and se if they would give us dalembert and iggy for peja and west, that gives them ending contract and a pf to put next to brand, and we get our slasher and a big to run like tyson did

Okafor's main position was never PF. He simply can't play the position especially in today's league where a pick and pop stretch four is vital. He also isn't anywhere near athletic and quick enough to defend 4s. His ideal situation would be one with a long 4 that plays on the perimeter and allows him to clean up in an offense that doesn't utilize the screen and roll very much.

okafor is just garbage.another bad contract for the hornets organization

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Just what we need...another power forward to be pushed around. The Hornets are not tough enough. Pairing West with Okafor was an epic fail. This is the kind of roster moves I'm talking about when I say we are misfit parts....disjointed....etc. These players do not compliment each other. Both of then need a strong and rugged physical presence on the floor with them.

Quote Originally Posted by noh504saints
    okafor is just garbage.another bad contract for the hornets organization
    Uh, dude, your signature takes up my entire screen. You need to scale it down or something.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs
    Uh, dude, your signature takes up my entire screen. You need to scale it down or something.
    Yeah, there are signature size limits on the site. At first glance his signature seems way above the allowed signature image file limit.

From our TOS...

Signature pictures should be limited to 3 or less and should not exceed a combined file size of 30k (that's 1 pic @ 30k or 3 pics @ 10k each) - this is done as a courtesy to our members on dialup and helps conserve our bandwidth.

When adding a sig pic, do not hotlink to images that are stored on other people's sites without their permission.

With regard to textual content, please limit your signature to 3 lines of text - less if you also have a picture. No short stories or mini-novels.

No embeded flash, video or audio files.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Just what we need...another power forward to be pushed around. The Hornets are not tough enough. Pairing West with Okafor was an epic fail. This is the kind of roster moves I'm talking about when I say we are misfit parts....disjointed....etc. These players do not compliment each other. Both of then need a strong and rugged physical presence on the floor with them.
    Let's be honest here. Most of us on this forum were hailing Bower as a genius for landing Okafor for Tyson. At the time, we all thought that Okafor's skill set would expand with the Hornets since we had a better team and the best PG in the league.

In hindsight it seems obvious that Okafor and West don't complement each other very well, but at the time we thought we were getting a decent center, albeit with an expensive contract, for what was essentially damaged goods. Not an ideal trade, but a good one nonetheless. How many trades are ideal anyway? They have to make sense to both sides.

But I certainly don't remember anyone on these forums complaining about how West and Okafor don't fit well together.

Let's be honest here. Most of us on this forum were hailing Bower as a genius for landing Okafor for Tyson. At the time, we all thought that Okafor's skill set would expand with the Hornets since we had a better team and the best PG in the league.

In hindsight it seems obvious that Okafor and West don't complement each other very well, but at the time we thought we were getting a decent center, albeit with an expensive contract, for what was essentially damaged goods. Not an ideal trade, but a good one nonetheless. How many trades are ideal anyway? They have to make sense to both sides.

But I certainly don't remember anyone on these forums complaining about how West and Okafor don't fit well together.
    You make a great point...and I agree. And this is a good example of why fans...sub par GM's....clueless owners....etc. should not be making these decisions.

As a fan, I won't lose my job because I wasn't basketball savy enough to see this then....and neither will the Hornets' GM either.

Okafor does ok guarding PFs, but struggles against the bigger centers. He's really not a reliable starter at other position. I think he could post up PFs easier compared to centers, but his touch in the paint is not reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    You make a great point...and I agree. And this is a good example of why fans...sub par GM's....clueless owners....etc. should not be making these decisions.

As a fan, I won't lose my job because I wasn't basketball savy enough to see this then....and neither will the Hornets' GM either.
    Fair point. We should obviously hold the organization to a higher standard than ourselves when it comes to basketball knowledge and what does/doesn't work. It should be a reality check though for people like my friends who constantly talk about how much better they'd run some team than the current GM.

Fair point. We should obviously hold the organization to a higher standard than ourselves when it comes to basketball knowledge and what does/doesn't work. It should be a reality check though for people like my friends who constantly talk about how much better they'd run some team than the current GM.
    Like 99.99% of all fans, I would be a HORRIBLE GM....I know that....and I agreed with Bower when he dealt for Okafor. Know what that means huh?

yeah but we should give credit where credit is due...bower hit gold with collison and thornton...probably the best draft in terms of value of where we we picking in recent memory

all gm's make good moves and bad moves...the key is to make more good ones than bad ones...i dont consider the lakers stupid yet they traded caron butler to get kwame brown...a much worse trade than any that bower made

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP
    yeah but we should give credit where credit is due...bower hit gold with collison and thornton...probably the best draft in terms of value of where we we picking in recent memory

all gm's make good moves and bad moves...the key is to make more good ones than bad ones...i dont consider the lakers stupid yet they traded caron butler to get kwame brown...a much worse trade than any that bower made
    Atleast Kwame Brown didn't at the time have a 5 year 60 million contract remaining

Thread Information