Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Change Ideas {merged}

i don't like the brass and kingfish because they were hockey team names in the ECHL or w/e it was called.. and i don't like the Bucs because of Tampa and Milwaukee.

of the ones mentioned i like the Soul.. Voodoo.. and Krewe

or some name referring to a gulf coast reptile would be cool like a moccasin or something

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    New Orleans Crescents?

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP
    New Orleans Crescents?
    That's pretty cool

for some reason the 'Bandits' keeps coming to mind

"Bandits" reminds me too much of Oklahoma City.

Gators and Royals sound like the two best imo

the Crescent City Rouler

or the "Tayaus" or something.. which means bloodhounds. i'm just tryin to think of cajun stuff now

NoOoOoOoOoOo!!! keep hornets!!!! everything mentioned sounds like a wnba team...the only thing i would consider is creole but the hornets were my team even before they moved here so i still oppose

The FDB is nice, but I'm all for a rebranding.

New Orleans Mudbugs!
    I see that's already a Bossier-Shreveport hockey team though...

I'm used to Hornets, I like our colors (yes, even the creole blue), I like our logos, and I like our uniforms (yes, even the pinstripes.)

Our current typeface is second to none. They were really creative with it. The only suggestion I have would be to once and for all to get rid of the Hugo logo.

I don't mind the Hornets brand at all. As long as the team wins, i'm happy, but I formally nominate the New Orleans Royals as the new name.

How about the Crescent City Hornets?

First I would like to say, there are three teams in this league whose name would probably better fit this city than the one they are in...Jazz, of course; Lakers, because we are on a lake and LA isn't; and Magic, come on voodoo & hoodoo. Anyway, I think I have a solution.

How about the New Orleans Horns?

For one, I already call them that as it's short for Hornets. It would just make it official for me.

The cheerleaders could be called the Hornettes.

It's kind of an ode to our teams past and it has a NOLA theme. We could also incorporate the musical note into the logo to hint at our even more distant past as an NBA city.

Also, some might not like this but I'm not at all for having the colors Purple, Green and Gold. First, I think there should only be 2 colors max as its easier to identify a team with. Second, just because we are in NOLA doesn't mean everything has to be Purple, Green, and Gold. Purple and Gold, nah resembles the Lakers too much and they're in our conference. Green and Gold would be nice as it there isn't really a team that is identified with those colors.

What you think?
    Last edited by GameBreaker; 04-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    I like New Orleans Horns ... sort of pleases and also doesn't quite satisfy everyone.

If the Hornets dropped Hugo completely, went with the only the FDB, and changed colors to mardi gras colors then I could get on board with keeping Hornets.

Shinn doesn't own the team anymore, no reason to keep his legacy running and Hornets, Teal, and pinstripes are all Shinn.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    I like New Orleans Horns ... sort of pleases and also doesn't quite satisfy everyone.
    Joe Horn could be the PR guy. Can you imagine post game press conferences after a tough loss?

"The New Orleans Horns are pissed off. The New Orleans Horn don't like to lose. The New Orleans Horns come to play." Etc.

Still love the New Orleans Buccaneers. I could care less about Tampa Bay in football or the Bucks in basketball. That name goes back to the mid 60's....before either of those other organizations were around. It is part of our ORIGINAL pro basketball history. Jazz that logo up with mardi gras colors and you have a winner!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Joe Horn could be the PR guy. Can you imagine post game press conferences after a tough loss?

"The New Orleans Horns are pissed off. The New Orleans Horn don't like to lose. The New Orleans Horns come to play." Etc.

Still love the New Orleans Buccaneers. I could care less about Tampa Bay in football or the Bucks in basketball. That name goes back to the mid 60's....before either of those other organizations were around. It is part of our ORIGINAL pro basketball history. Jazz that logo up with mardi gras colors and you have a winner!
    There have been some great suggestions this time around, I remember when we first got the team the names were MLS and WNBA worthy.

Still, I've come around on Bucs. I used to be against it but I'm on board. There are other good names as well that I could easily live with. I just hope Chouest wants to rebrand the team, I'm sure the decision is his alone. The NBA pressured Clay to keep Sonics because the name has real value, he choose to do his own thing at a risk and I would say even though the Thunder name is one of the worst in pro sports it's worked for him in OKC.

No one can deny who the Thunder are, it's all OKC now, if they were still called the Sonics things might be a little different ... probably closer to what we have, meaning the old city would be brought up constantly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stern asks Chouest to change the name.

Lagniappe.
    We bring something extra to the NBA

I feel if we name change, give us something new.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Crescent... Rolls.... mmm tasty.

How about the New Orleans Quarters?

Then we could give teams "Four French Quarters of Hell".

or the New Orleans Bourbons?

...think of the whisky companies lining up to sponsor that one

One thing I am hopeful of is that Chouest will have more big-time contacts who might help get a naming rights deal done for the Arena (hell, he could buy it himself and call it the Edison Chouest Arena)...or is the dome/arena naming rights a package/all or nothing deal?

Bourbons would be the coolest name.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    There have been some great suggestions this time around, I remember when we first got the team the names were MLS and WNBA worthy.

Still, I've come around on Bucs. I used to be against it but I'm on board. There are other good names as well that I could easily live with. I just hope Chouest wants to rebrand the team, I'm sure the decision is his alone. The NBA pressured Clay to keep Sonics because the name has real value, he choose to do his own thing at a risk and I would say even though the Thunder name is one of the worst in pro sports it's worked for him in OKC.

No one can deny who the Thunder are, it's all OKC now, if they were still called the Sonics things might be a little different ... probably closer to what we have, meaning the old city would be brought up constantly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stern asks Chouest to change the name.
    Chouest is a local guy. He loves basketball. He understands our past professional basketball heritage. He understands our city. He's smart. Etc.

Smart guys listen and think about all possible options. While not a necessity, a rebrand is an option. I would bet that Chouest and Weber (another sharp guy) go through every last detail of this organization with a fine tooth comb...in an open minded way.

This site is read in Hornets circles. Everyone should voice their opinion. You never know what will strike a chord with the guys who are calling the shots. Smart people consider anything that helps make their business a success...no matter where it comes from. Let your voice be heard!

I also like Brass or Bucs. If this isnt possible, I think making the fleur-de-bee the main logo and changing the colors to purple, green, and gold would be enough for me. I think either a name change or REAL color change is def needed imo.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Make it happen, Chouest! I might actually buy a jersey/merchandise then.

Thread Information