Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Change Ideas {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk
    Isn't there a hockey team named the Blues? Or did they move? I don't follow NHL.
    Yeah, the St. Louis Blues

The more I think about it, the New Orleans Soul works.

Its hip, as in, we got soul.

It also ties into the spiritual/Catholic side and ties in perfectly with the Saints.

Two mascots: An angel and a giant afro with a pick.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    So what would you do if the New Orleans franchise sent the colors and name to the CLT franchise and CLT rebranded themselves as the CLT Hornets?
    Interesting question. I doubt that it happens because CLT fans still probably have bitter memories about how the Hornets left and they may not want that brand back. But if they did get them back, I'd still have to stick with the current team...it would be kinda childish of me to abandon this team after 15 years just because they changed colors, right?
    go dores

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    Should make for an interesting off-season. It'll be interesting to see if Chouest mostly stays pat on things, moves toward completely revolutionalizing the franchise and how it does business, or somewhere in between. Even if a re-brand is done, I think that would take some time, wouldn't it? I realize that the Sonics rebranded into the Thunder in a matter of less than 5 months. So it is possible, but I doubt he would move this quickly on it. If the Jazz name was still available, then I think it would be possible.
    For sure, this off season is now much more interesting.

I bet Chouest will make drastic changes. Chouest is a basketball fan, not just a rich guy who wants a pro team and this is his only option ... he wants a NBA franchise, so I feel that bodes well for us fans. His kids played the sport as well. So unlike both Benson and Shinn we have an owner that knows the sport and is excited.

I also assume his main concern is not making a buck since every AP article mentions his one interview where he says this is an investment to keep the NBA in New Orleans. We really couldn't ask for a better owner right now.

A full re-brand would take 3 years, I believe that is the timeline. It gets sent to the league, with league input, and then it goes into production. The Thunder seemingly had the job done in 5 months, but I still believe that Clay had all of this ready for the Hornets, if he had the chance to purchase them. Now, like the Sonics sale this is a special circumstance and I'm sure if it needed to be done sooner it could happen.

I'd love to get the Jazz name back but that is not happening. Chouest might want his own thing altogether ... we might end up the New Orleans Ship Builders, and at this point I wouldn't care as long as Chouest is the owner.

No one knows, what if Chouest still has notebooks from his high school days with drawings and colorings of his own NBA franchise.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tnhornetsfan47
    Interesting question. I doubt that it happens because CLT fans still probably have bitter memories about how the Hornets left and they may not want that brand back. But if they did get them back, I'd still have to stick with the current team...it would be kinda childish of me to abandon this team after 15 years just because they changed colors, right?
    Check the internet ... the only fans as happy as us are CLT fans, because they think they can get the colors and name back.

They have bitter memories of Shinn, not the Hornets. Shinn keeping the name was like the Indy Colts, at least to CLT fans. And much like Balt fans, they would take the name and colors back immediately.

Well he is from Galliano.

New Orleans Trawlers?

New Orleans Coullions????

Quote Originally Posted by Cp3Mt5Dc2
    oh i didnt know that i thought the saints mascot was gumbo and sir saint, anyway i got the info from wiki. i do see there was 2 mascots for the team though.

"The VooDoo's official mascots were known as Bones and Mojo.[1] Their cheerleaders were known as the VooDoo Dolls."

Who knows maybe benson would be nice lol.
    Sir Saint was a logo for ages before becoming a mascot at the games and Gumbo was first a live St. Bernard that appeared at games, was retired by the team. During the Gumbo hiatus, Benson tried to create a costumed mascot called Mojo to appear at games - it was a dud and Gumbo was returned as a costumed mascot.

This is the VooDoo version of Mojo:

I have a pic of the Saints version at home that I'll post later

I doubt Chouset will change the name....but if he did Soul or Bucs would be my vote.

Knowing George he probably put a clause in the buy out agreement that team must remain the Hornets with teal ..I mean "Creole Blue" as the primary color.
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

NOLA Rogues
    NOLA Coonasses
    NOLA Nutria

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    New Orleans Anything But the Hornets

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Since everyone is giving their ideas out, I'll give mine:

New Orleans Brass
    New Orleans Blues
    New Orleans Bucaneers

I think all of these names have symbolic meaning in New Orleans, although I think Jazz is more appropriate for us than Blues.

Time for some football!!!

what ever the name will be, i already think we have the colors. those N.O. Buccaneer jearseys are some of the nices jerseys ive seen period in the league, thats regular, alternate, or special occasion, and thats goes for any team. those are the colors we should have

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    I guess I'm just tired of this franchise being associated with Charlotte, itf it's still happening eight years after the move it will never go away fully, IMO. The best thing to happen would be rebranding.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    And just from a financial perspective: rebranding will probably lead to more merchandise sales. I know at one point the Hornets were highly ranked in that department but that's when teal was cool... back in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    I guess I'm just tired of this franchise being associated with Charlotte, itf it's still happening eight years after the move it will never go away fully, IMO. The best thing to happen would be rebranding.
    This, too. I want a clean break. If it took eight years, so be it.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    my favorites:

krewe
    second liner's
    brass

The New Orleans *******-Smashers (starts with a B, and is the same name I came up with for a Bentley on a monster truck frame)

Buros de fuego
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    Sir Saint was a logo for ages before becoming a mascot at the games and Gumbo was first a live St. Bernard that appeared at games, was retired by the team. During the Gumbo hiatus, Benson tried to create a costumed mascot called Mojo to appear at games - it was a dud and Gumbo was returned as a costumed mascot.

I have a pic of the Saints version at home that I'll post later
    Thanks i didnt know that, im curious to see what the saints mojo looked like, i miss gumbo though he was awesome, i saw him at a few games during the cha ching yrs, always wondered where he went off to.

... so nobody else likes Revelers

asdfghjkl;'

actually i like the revelers, it definitely fits the city image IMO.

New Orleans Royals. Perfect for purple, gold, and green. Make it happen

Leave it as Hornets.

25 characters is not enoug Contributor ktulu909's Avatar
    The only thing that would suck with a name change would be the fact that I really love the Fleur de bee.

Quote Originally Posted by ktulu909
    The only thing that would suck with a name change would be the fact that I really love the Fleur de bee.
    I agree.

Agreed i thought the Fleur de bee was extremely creative use of the city's symbol. I saw a bud light neon sign with the Fleur de bee i been beggin the guy for it ever since. lol

Thread Information