Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Change Ideas {merged}

the new orleans oysters

"You know what they say about oysters"
    Bringing it back to the bottom of the map!

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    I don't see why people think people ''embraced'' the Hornets...they embraced a winning team in 2008. There's no REAL history with the Hornets name in New Orleans, no local significance, no championships, nothing. It's time for a rebrand...and what can be better than bringing back the Bucs name, color, etc. A brand that was started in New Orleans, not Charlotte.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Beezwax
    the new orleans oysters

"You know what they say about oysters"

Personally, I don't want to associate my NBA team and sexual arousal.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by iedmunds
    My ideas:

- Pistols
    - Gators
    - Rhythm
    - Steamers
    - Krewe
    - Second Liners
    - Sachmos
    Two others:

- Kingfish
    - Wildcatters

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Soul is really growing on me.the bucs would be goo as well but it reminds me of Tampa.

We could go with the old USFL team, the Breakers.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NicosiaBuzz377
    The only name id want besides the current one is Jazz. This club has been here for almost 10 years,minus the katrina period, a name change now would be stupid. Unless its Neonights.
    look at it this way without a name change actually being an option look at how much attention, energy, interest there is at the possibility of a rebranding.

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    I don't see why people think people ''embraced'' the Hornets...they embraced a winning team in 2008. There's no REAL history with the Hornets name in New Orleans, no local significance, no championships, nothing. It's time for a rebrand...and what can be better than bringing back the Bucs name, color, etc. A brand that was started in New Orleans, not Charlotte.
    The team has been here long enough that people have gotten used to the name and think of the Hornets as a New Orleans team. It is kind of odd to change the name after this long.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    The team has been here long enough that people have gotten used to the name and think of the Hornets as a New Orleans team. It is kind of odd to change the name after this long.

The team has been in New Orleans for six years, that's not very long at all. If the name had a historic meaning or if they had won a title I'd agree with you. The truth is, the Hornets really haven't done much since coming to N.O nor does the name Hornets have a special meaning here.

Soul, Krewe, Brass, Voodoo I like a lot.

Kingfish might be my new favorite.

i really like voodoo

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Everyone is different, all owners are different. Chouest might want to brand this team himself, truly make it his own ... or he might see some value in keeping the name.

It's been mentioned before that Clay was told the name "Sonics" held a lot of value and that it would be a risk to change the name. Clay wanted to own his own team, leave his mark on the league, and immediately started the process in Oklahoma while he owned the team in Seattle. The Hornets don't have nearly the history or value of the Sonics, but it might mean something to Chouest.

We just don't know. If it were me I would want to change everything to make it my own.

***For what it's worth, the only reason we have the name Hornets and the color Teal (and probably pinstripe unis) is that Shinn was tied to them. He liked them, they were his (not CLT's) and he wanted the world to know it. Especially after the relocation, he wanted to have success with the Hornets name and image. It's not like Shinn bought a historic franchise called the Hornets and ran with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    The team has been in New Orleans for six years, that's not very long at all. If the name had a historic meaning or if they had won a title I'd agree with you. The truth is, the Hornets really haven't done much since coming to N.O nor does the name Hornets have a special meaning here.
    Maybe not to you, but the NBA team in New Orleans is known as the Hornets (regardless of how much we like/dislike it). People have invested money in purchasing merchandise and now associate the name with the New Orleans NBA team. The NBA is full of names that have no historic meaning to the cities. I am not sure why the idea of an ownership change has all of a sudden triggered some idea that the name of the team will be changed.

VOODOO

NEW ORLEANS VOODOO and bring in Mojo from the arena team. Hell he is probably in the basement right now, lol.

New Orleans Voodoo
    Bones aka Mojo
    Voodoo dolls dance team

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Maybe not to you, but the NBA team in New Orleans is known as the Hornets (regardless of how much we like/dislike it). People have invested money in purchasing merchandise and now associate the name with the New Orleans NBA team. The NBA is full of names that have no historic meaning to the cities. I am not sure why the idea of an ownership change has all of a sudden triggered some idea that the name of the team will be changed.
    Because deep down inside we are not over losin the jazz. We as people would live to give the hornets name logos etc back to clt. I would rebrand completely , but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cp3Mt5Dc2
    NEW ORLEANS VOODOO and bring in Mojo from the arena team. Hell he is probably in the basement right now, lol.

New Orleans Voodoo
    Bones aka Mojo
    Voodoo dolls dance team
    Bones and Mojo are two completely different mascots. Mojo was the failed Saints mascot. I am sure Benson owns the rights to Voodoo, so I doubt you would see that name associated with a non-Benson family team.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    The big problem with getting the Jazz name back right now is that the Jazz are in the process of re-branding themselves by going back to their old brand. That is what has historically sold, whether here or in SLC. If the Jazz weren't going back to the musical note, I'd immediately consider going with the name Blues and using the a musical note for our symbol, with a purple, green and gold color scheme. The St. Louis Blues of the NHL use a musical note as their symbol. But with the Jazz going back to the musical note now, I am not sure that we would be allowed to do it. That move is still haunting us.

Time for some football!!!

oh i didnt know that i thought the saints mascot was gumbo and sir saint, anyway i got the info from wiki. i do see there was 2 mascots for the team though.

"The VooDoo's official mascots were known as Bones and Mojo.[1] Their cheerleaders were known as the VooDoo Dolls."

Who knows maybe benson would be nice lol.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Clay changed Sonics to Thunder. There are rumors that once the Nets move to Brooklyn they will have a name change as well.

We don't know what Chouest wants and he will ultimately be the one who decides.

Some of us assume Chouest will want to change the name because he might want to leave his mark on the franchise. However there could be value in keeping the name the same.

Also, it's just fun to speculate. It would have been nice if this could have been done years ago. Right now 3 cities are associated with the Hornets in a very short amount of time, yet they will only play in one and the other two cities now have their own teams and identity.

My thinking is that there is no value in the Hornets name since it's a relatively young franchise, has been in 3 cities, hasn't won any titles of significance, and it could be said the name Hornets is connected more to Shinn than any of the 3 cities. The Hornets name represents a vagabond franchise, with a local owning it would be nice if this franchise was connected with only 1 city.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    Clay changed Sonics to Thunder. There are rumors that once the Nets move to Brooklyn they will have a name change as well.

Some of us assume Chouest will want to change the name because he might want to leave his mark on the franchise. However there could be value in keeping the name the same.

Also, it's just fun to speculate. It would have been nice if this could have been done years ago. Right now 3 cities are associated with the Hornets in a very short amount of time, yet they will only play in one and the other two cities now have their own teams and identity.

My thinking is that there is no value in the Hornets name since it's a relatively young franchise, has been in 3 cities, hasn't won any titles of significance, and it could be said the name Hornets is connected more to Shinn than any of the 3 cities. The Hornets name represents a vagabond franchise, with a local owning it would be nice if this franchise was connected with only 1 city.
    Should make for an interesting off-season. It'll be interesting to see if Chouest mostly stays pat on things, moves toward completely revolutionalizing the franchise and how it does business, or somewhere in between. Even if a re-brand is done, I think that would take some time, wouldn't it? I realize that the Sonics rebranded into the Thunder in a matter of less than 5 months. So it is possible, but I doubt he would move this quickly on it. If the Jazz name was still available, then I think it would be possible.

Here's my two cents as a non-New Orleans resident: I definitely think a name change is going to be a possibility once Shinn sells the team. Whenever I tell people I like the Hornets, they still think of Charlotte before I tell them that they moved to New Orleans, so I don't think that the Hornets brand and New Orleans have been completely tied together yet. It would be a little weird to be following a team not named the Hornets after all these years, but I'm sure I'd be able to adjust just like I was able to adjust to calling them the "New Orleans Hornets" instead of the "Charlotte Hornets."

That being said, I don't mind the team changing its name to reflect its New Orleans home, just as long as we don't make the same mistake as other teams and change the name to something ridiculous just for the sake of changing it ("Thunder?" Seriously? I mean, I know there isn't much in OKC, but surely you can think of a better name than Thunder!).
    go dores

It costs a LOT of money to rebrand a team, change the name, court, jerseys, marketing, etc.

Of course, with that is a bonanza of new spending on new merchandise, if you do it well.

And Benson won't give up VooDoo to a competitor. No chance whatsoever.

Better chance of acquiring the Brass name.

Quote Originally Posted by tnhornetsfan47
    Here's my two cents as a non-New Orleans resident: I definitely think a name change is going to be a possibility once Shinn sells the team. Whenever I tell people I like the Hornets, they still think of Charlotte before I tell them that they moved to New Orleans, so I don't think that the Hornets brand and New Orleans have been completely tied together yet. It would be a little weird to be following a team not named the Hornets after all these years, but I'm sure I'd be able to adjust just like I was able to adjust to calling them the "New Orleans Hornets" instead of the "Charlotte Hornets."

That being said, I don't mind the team changing its name to reflect its New Orleans home, just as long as we don't make the same mistake as other teams and change the name to something ridiculous just for the sake of changing it ("Thunder?" Seriously? I mean, I know there isn't much in OKC, but surely you can think of a better name than Thunder!).
    So what would you do if the New Orleans franchise sent the colors and name to the CLT franchise and CLT rebranded themselves as the CLT Hornets?

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet

The Sonics change to Thunder was a little more understandable given the change in locations. I wish the Hornets would have changed names when they moved here (and would not mind a change even now as long as it is reasonable (and I do like the Blues)). However, after being here a while, it would surprise me a bit if there was a change.

Isn't there a hockey team named the Blues? Or did they move? I don't follow NHL.

Thread Information