Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Name Change Ideas {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by eballa1
    Crescent City Connections
    Crescent City Knee troubles & turf toes ?

I think he will want to instill a little BAYOU into the team and go with....

New Orleans Tarpons!!

Jordan is considering changing the Bobcats name.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...bcats-name.php

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Second response was Charlotte's Web!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB
    Jordan is considering changing the Bobcats name.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...bcats-name.php

But by all means we should never dare change CLT's original teams' name ... us in NO should forever honor those fans in CLT and OKC.

If Jordan can change the name of the Bobcats, it should be mandatory that we also change our name.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    The Bobcats have a lot of problems - the franchise is hemorrhaging money, they are locked in with this good-but-not-great core of players for another three years due to long contracts, and a lot of the connection with the community need to be rebuilt. The name may be an issue for some, but it's an added expense and priority Jordan may choose to wait on.
    Sounds more like the Hornets than Bobcats!

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    The Bobcats have been in Charlotte longer than the Hornets have in New Orleans for one stay(Hornets, 3 and 3 yrs) yet they could changing names. They've also won as many titles as the Hornets.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    The Bobcats have been in Charlotte longer than the Hornets have in New Orleans for one stay(Hornets, 3 and 3 yrs) yet they could changing names. They've also won as many titles as the Hornets.
    But it's important that we never dare sully the Hornets legacy by changing those beautiful colors or redesigning that "classic 90s" cartoon hornet. And god forbid if we change the name, we would be fools to screw up NBA history like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    But it's important that we never dare sully the Hornets legacy by changing those beautiful colors or redesigning that "classic 90s" cartoon hornet. And god forbid if we change the name, we would be fools to screw up NBA history like that.
    But the 90's were such a classic era! It's not like any other designing has abandoned the 90's either. The cars are designed the same way, houses are made the same way and even music is exactly the same!

Oh wait, no it's not

Rookie Contributor
    I like the HORNETS name. There's money already spent around the city in redoing B-ball courts.

If I was M.J. I'd change the team name also. The Bobcats are named partially after the previous owner Bob Johnson. Why would I want his mark on a team I own?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    It's not anything new. Carolina's NHL team is called Hurricanes even after the disasterous Hurricane Hugo that devasted the two Carolina states. We all know about Miami.

The disaster and the recovery defines the city more than anything else. When people hear the name New Orleans, they think of the hurricane before anything else, and then maybe the Saints. The city has recovered nicely as well as the region and we should embrace it.

The New Orleans Storm Surge. "CP3 leads the Surge tonight against Kevin Durant and the OKC Thunder."
    Sorry but, New Orleans Storm Surge sounds like a team for the WNBA.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3myMVP
    Seriously? Actually, that's how I felt about the Soul which actually is better suited for Detroit.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3myMVP
    And the "Thunder" sounds like a team you'd hear on a movie about fictional NBA teams. Like the Mobile Knights or St. Louis Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcricket
    I like the HORNETS name. There's money already spent around the city in redoing B-ball courts.

If I was M.J. I'd change the team name also. The Bobcats are named partially after the previous owner Bob Johnson. Why would I want his mark on a team I own?
    So, it's okay for MJ to change the name of the Bobcats a team that was specially handed specifically to CLT ... but a team with a 20 year history in 3 cities that reflects 1 person, Shinn, is sacred?

Hornets, Teal, Hugo, and pinstripes are all 100% Shinn.

Hornets works for me - a least for a couple of years (got some great Hornets gear for Christmas). Open to change, just with the proliferation of so many new leagues, minor leagues, etc., the names all start sounding trendy.
    Big ol' Pelicans fan up here in North La

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    Seriously? Actually, that's how I felt about the Soul which actually is better suited for Detroit.

yeah, maybe cause the Seattle Storm...

Hurricanes fits...though I know there are some teams already named after that.

You guys do realize that the new possible name might not have been mentioned yet?

It probably won't be long before the TP decides to run some kind of hypothetical question about what the name could be. We might see some names listed no one has thought of.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    You guys do realize that the new possible name might not have been mentioned yet?

It probably won't be long before the TP decides to run some kind of hypothetical question about what the name could be. We might see some names listed no one has thought of.
    So you're saying the TP would take our topic and make a story out of it? No way! They never come here for topics or info.

Quote Originally Posted by DJPace
    I think he will want to instill a little BAYOU into the team and go with....

New Orleans Tarpons!!
    How long would it take for someone to inadvertently drop the R and put an M in there in it's place?

Rookie Contributor
    So, it's okay for MJ to change the name of the Bobcats a team that was specially handed specifically to CLT ... but a team with a 20 year history in 3 cities that reflects 1 person, Shinn, is sacred?

Hornets, Teal, Hugo, and pinstripes are all 100% Shinn.
    I was pointing to how the reference to the ex-owner is actually in the name of the team itself. BOBcats.

It's not the Shinnhornets. It's HORNETS. In a few years people won't even remember the Hornets connection with Shinn.

Jazz is synonymous with New Orleans and yet I run into more people today who don't have a clue that the Utah Jazz actually originated in New Orleans.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    So you're saying the TP would take our topic and make a story out of it? No way! They never come here for topics or info.
    They never do that!

I was trying to think of something that would represent the rebirth of NOLA following Katrina, and all that comes to mind is the Phoenix. That obviously wouldn't work well with Phoenix the city having a team.

So how about the New Orleans Firebirds? I can imagine it being pretty easy to craft a Phoenix and flames out of a fleur-de-lis.

Something different, but other than being related to Katrina, and the number of prior hurricanes and rebuilding efforts, there's no particular ties to New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcricket
    I was pointing to how the reference to the ex-owner is actually in the name of the team itself. BOBcats.

It's not the Shinnhornets. It's HORNETS. In a few years people won't even remember the Hornets connection with Shinn.

Jazz is synonymous with New Orleans and yet I run into more people today who don't have a clue that the Utah Jazz actually originated in New Orleans.
    I know the origin of the Bobcats name, regardless CLT would still be changing a teams' name within a few years of getting them as an expansion team. Justifying it is easy, justifying anything is easy ... and that's all we are doing here.

History may or may not change people's view of the name Hornets in the NBA. I know right now lots of people in CLT hope they can get the name Hornets and color teal back, they have had articles about.

I want a name change. There I said it. Feels good. I don't care about history, winning curing all the problems, CLT, OKC, Shinn, the color teal, or Hugo ... I want an entire re-branding. I'm not going to justify it anymore because all the justifying in the world is not going to change the mind of a fan who likes things the way they are. Or, vice versa.

Hornets is more fitting for Charlotte. I think Shinn kept the Hornets out of spite.

Its funny how our arena league team or ECHL hockey team had better names than the Hornets.

Hmm, instead of Storm Surge, how about New Orleans Purple Surge, kinda like Crimson Tide or Green wave. Nevermind, that blows too.

Man, this is getting tough. I still like the Surge, but not sure about StormSurge. Maybe New Orleans Surge would be good enough.

New Orleans Bayou would be ok, but still doesn't have a good ring to it. Louisiana Bayou makes more sense.

VooDoo and Brass have a good ring to it. Wonder who owns the Brass name.

Charlotte should get back the 'Hornets' and New Orleans get back to 'Jazz' but the later will never happen.

what about the "New Orleans Guardians"

Thread Information