Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Name Change Ideas {merged}

How about "CP3 Surges New Orleans into the 2nd round with a sweep over the Mavs!"

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

The Headline works, but for some reason when I hear the word "Surge" I think of the French/German immigrant in Beverly Hill's Cop (Yes I've seen that movie way too many times). I don't think of a Storm Surge.

The Sonics were technically the Seattle Supersonics, I think, but it was shortened to Sonics for ESPN. We could maybe pull off being the Storm Surge with it being shortened to Surge for things like Sports highlights.

Has anyone brought up the New Orleans Storm, which was an old pro soccer team in the city (about 10-12 years ago)?

What about bringing back that name? Or has that been discussed already?

Is there a WNBA team with that name?

All Star

Quote Originally Posted by lionelmandrake
    The Headline works, but for some reason when I hear the word "Surge" I think of the French/German immigrant in Beverly Hill's Cop (Yes I've seen that movie way too many times). I don't think of a Storm Surge.

The Sonics were technically the Seattle Supersonics, I think, but it was shortened to Sonics for ESPN. We could maybe pull off being the Storm Surge with it being shortened to Surge for things like Sports highlights.

Has anyone brought up the New Orleans Storm, which was an old pro soccer team in the city (about 10-12 years ago)?

What about bringing back that name? Or has that been discussed already?

Is there a WNBA team with that name?
    We need to be honest. Nothing defines our region more than Hurricane Katrina. And I don't mean just the storm, but the recovery efforts as well. The region has bounced back nicely. We need to embrace this. This is why we must become the

New Orleans Storm Surge

Portland has the Trail Blazers, Seattle had the SuperSonics. We could easily just have Surge on our jerseys just like Blazers and Sonics.

It's time everyone. We are the New Orleans Storm Surge

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    I want my goddamned name back already... the JAZZ! Make it happen.

Time for some football!!!

The New Orleans Obamas

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    The New Orleans Obamas
    Thats just horrible for so many reasons.

New Orleans Cajuns

New Orleans Kingfish

Louisiana Purchase...

I dunno, just throwing names out there.

The Arena league isn't coming back so just ask Tom to borrow his old AFL name, the New Orleans Voodoo! They had a bad *** logo and called the arena the graveyard.

Font of Sports Knowledge B-Rich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bschne1
    The Arena league isn't coming back so just ask Tom to borrow his old AFL name, the New Orleans Voodoo! They had a bad *** logo and called the arena the graveyard.
    Ummm, actually the Arena Football League is already back, in a different form and ownership model: http://www.arenafootball.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_F...2010%E2%80%93)) Their games are on the NFL Network on Friday nights.

I doubt the VooDoo will be back, however, because the "new" AFL isn't the same model as the old with NFL cross-ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Bee
    New Orleans Cajuns

New Orleans Kingfish

Louisiana Purchase...

I dunno, just throwing names out there.
    Sorry, but I will take Hornets over any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    We need to be honest. Nothing defines our region more than Hurricane Katrina. And I don't mean just the storm, but the recovery efforts as well. The region has bounced back nicely. We need to embrace this. This is why we must become the

New Orleans Storm Surge

Portland has the Trail Blazers, Seattle had the SuperSonics. We could easily just have Surge on our jerseys just like Blazers and Sonics.

It's time everyone. We are the New Orleans Storm Surge
    Come on, get serious. How many would want a team named after a disaster?

Quote Originally Posted by lionelmandrake
    You guys bring up two good points...not only does the name breakers work...but it would also allow for a name like:

The Gulf Coast Breakers...

you mentioned that regionalizing the team could be beneficial for marketing/merchandising...The team does kind of represent the gulf coast (at least the northern part of it...not sure how Tampa people would react?) and it kind of reminds me of what oakland has done by being the "Golden State Warriors". Not sure how it would fly with the fanbase and more importantly with the owners but it still makes a bit of sense.

I still think drillers would be cool too whether it be the Louisiana Drillers, New Orleans Drillers, or Gulf Coast Drillers...the headlines would write themselves...."The Lakers Get Drilled: Kobe Complains After Being Swept Out of the Playoffs"
    I would not want the team called "Gulf Coast." That is too "generic." This is a New Orleans team. The support from outside the New Orleans area is actually very minimal. We could not even draw 8,000 for a game in Baton Rouge.

The Franchise
    New Orleans Piranhas
    New Orleans Reapers
    New Orleans Phantoms
    New Orleans Nightmares
    New Orleans Werewolves
    New Orleans Vampires

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    I would not want the team called "Gulf Coast." That is too "generic." This is a New Orleans team. The support from outside the New Orleans area is actually very minimal. We could not even draw 8,000 for a game in Baton Rouge.
    HornetsFan...I understand your point and agree with it; however, I was simply looking at this from a management perspective. I could understand from a marketing standpoint if they would do something like that. I am not making an argument that they should.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    New Orleans Timberwolves.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster
    New Orleans Timberwolves.
    got'em

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    I think I still have that paper somewhere.

Starter
    change to the "bees" and make the primary colors gold and dark purple with a little green. keep hugo, fluer de bee, and all other icons just change the name and colors.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    I'd be surprised if it's over 100, and my wife and I are two of em.

Come on, get serious. How many would want a team named after a disaster?
    It's not anything new. Carolina's NHL team is called Hurricanes even after the disasterous Hurricane Hugo that devasted the two Carolina states. We all know about Miami.

The disaster and the recovery defines the city more than anything else. When people hear the name New Orleans, they think of the hurricane before anything else, and then maybe the Saints. The city has recovered nicely as well as the region and we should embrace it.

The New Orleans Storm Surge. "CP3 leads the Surge tonight against Kevin Durant and the OKC Thunder."

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    It's not anything new. Carolina's NHL team is called Hurricanes even after the disasterous Hurricane Hugo that devasted the two Carolina states. We all know about Miami.

The disaster and the recovery defines the city more than anything else. When people hear the name New Orleans, they think of the hurricane before anything else, and then maybe the Saints. The city has recovered nicely as well as the region and we should embrace it.

The New Orleans Storm Surge. "CP3 leads the Surge tonight against Kevin Durant and the OKC Thunder."
    That not really true.

New Orleans is not defined by Katrina or it's aftermath. New Orleans is defined by it's unique culture, the city has suffered several devastating hurricanes in the past and none of them defined the city. However, right now when you think of New Orleans it's impossible to not think of Katrina. Sort of like NYC and 9/11. 9/11 didn't define NYC, but it's impossible to not think of NYC when you read about 9/11 or vice versa. San Francisco was not defined by the great earthquake, nor Chicago by the fire.

All of these horrible events are just part of those cities histories. They do effect the culture of those cities in various ways, but I wouldn't call it defining.

*When people think of New Orleans I'm sure the Saints, Superdome, the many Super Bowls, Sugar Bowl, and other major sporting events the city host come to mind. But seriously, internationally when people of think of New Orleans they think of the food, festivals, jazz fest, mardi gras, architecture, music, nightlife, atmosphere, the many races, and history. I'm willing to bet more people relate that stuff to the city than sports. That's just the way it is when your city is older than the country it is in, New Orleans is the most european of american cities.

I love the Saints, but the city is not only the Saints and sports. It's not Green Bay, it's New Orleans ... the city that has songs, poems, novels, tv shows, films, and art created about her.

VooDoo

Montreal will not be using the "Expos" anymore.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    That not really true.

New Orleans is not defined by Katrina or it's aftermath. New Orleans is defined by it's unique culture, the city has suffered several devastating hurricanes in the past and none of them defined the city. However, right now when you think of New Orleans it's impossible to not think of Katrina. Sort of like NYC and 9/11. 9/11 didn't define NYC, but it's impossible to not think of NYC when you read about 9/11 or vice versa. San Francisco was not defined by the great earthquake, nor Chicago by the fire.

All of these horrible events are just part of those cities histories. They do effect the culture of those cities in various ways, but I wouldn't call it defining.

*When people think of New Orleans I'm sure the Saints, Superdome, the many Super Bowls, Sugar Bowl, and other major sporting events the city host come to mind. But seriously, internationally when people of think of New Orleans they think of the food, festivals, jazz fest, mardi gras, architecture, music, nightlife, atmosphere, the many races, and history. I'm willing to bet more people relate that stuff to the city than sports. That's just the way it is when your city is older than the country it is in, New Orleans is the most european of american cities.

I love the Saints, but the city is not only the Saints and sports. It's not Green Bay, it's New Orleans ... the city that has songs, poems, novels, tv shows, films, and art created about her.
    Great post!

Sorry, but I will take Hornets over any of those.
    No apology needed on my end bud.

Like I said, I was just throwing names out there. I personally don't mind the name Hornets, even though the "Charlotte Hornets" gaffes got old long ago.

Crescent City Connections

Thread Information