Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Name Change Ideas {merged}

New Orleans Pistols for good ole Pete

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull DatsWho
    New Orleans Pistols for good ole Pete
    Has been brought up in years past and would be a good name, but can you imagine the political correctness loons's response to that? If Washington had to change "Bullets", I doubt any team will be called "Pistols".

Pistols would be a cool name. I like Drillers. Kinda like Oilers, but better. Plus there's a pun of drilling 3-pointers.

I know we can come up with something. New Orleans Surge would be cool. Somebody make a logo fast before I go back to Bourbons. Isn't Bourbon St named after the Bourbon Dynasty in Orleans, France?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

St. Bernard Eagles for life NicosiaBuzz377's Avatar
    I think the name New Orleans Hornets would be awesome!!!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Has been brought up in years past and would be a good name, but can you imagine the political correctness loons's response to that? If Washington had to change "Bullets", I doubt any team will be called "Pistols".
    Washington didn't have to change from Bullets to Wizards, it was a gesture of good will by the owner due to DC being the murder capitol of the world at that time. His heart was in the right place, but he overreacted. Wizards is a an awful name, and the Bullets had one of the best logos in the NBA.

That said, I doubt Pistols will ever be used in the NBA ... maybe the D-League where it would get a lot less attention. In New Orleans the name would send a message the NBA wouldn't support, we have our own issues with the murder capitol thing. It would be a much easier sell in the western part of the country.

Hey, here is an idea ... Utah gives us Jazz back and they can call themselves the Pistols.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Not to mention it's just two letters on the alphabet from "Pistons."

I'm still wondering how the New Jerseys Devils gets away from the loons, even though it's referring to the Jersey devil, it's still kinda strange.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NicosiaBuzz377
    I think the name New Orleans Hornets would be awesome!!!
    eww
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

The Franchise
    I see a lot of names focusing on the teams name. What about who we represent? Is New Orleans the only option, how about Louisiana or Nola. Personally I like New Orleans but just thought I would throw this out there.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709
    I see a lot of names focusing on the teams name. What about who we represent? Is New Orleans the only option, how about Louisiana or Nola. Personally I like New Orleans but just thought I would throw this out there.
    Good question. The team should try to represent Louisiana, southern half of Mississippi, south Alabama, and even the Florida panhandle just like the Saints as far as television coverage, but as long as the name is New Orleans, they should definitely pick a name that identifies with the city.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    While I prefer New Orleans (just because I'm from the city) I wouldn't be adverse to a 'Louisiana' something name given you're basically rebooting the team. I was opposed to it for the Saints because they've been around for 40+ years -- here it would be fine so long as the name rolls off the tongue, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    Washington didn't have to change from Bullets to Wizards, it was a gesture of good will by the owner due to DC being the murder capitol of the world at that time. His heart was in the right place, but he overreacted. Wizards is a an awful name, and the Bullets had one of the best logos in the NBA.
    I remember at the time one of the names suggested was the Justice. Should have went with that and named the Arena the Supreme Court!

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster
    While I prefer New Orleans (just because I'm from the city) I wouldn't be adverse to a 'Louisiana' something name given you're basically rebooting the team. I was opposed to it for the Saints because they've been around for 40+ years -- here it would be fine so long as the name rolls off the tongue, so to speak.

I remember at the time one of the names suggested was the Justice. Should have went with that and named the Arena the Supreme Court!
    I wouldn't like it if the team was Louisiana because I believe they should reach out to other states as well. Keeping it New Orleans will allow them to have a regional support. This team needs to build a following in the Gulf South just like the Saints have and the best way to do it is for everyone in Saints country to have access to Hornets television whether its in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Hornets need to take over these states.

1) Televise

2) Market

3) Win

Winning is most important obviously, but we still need to control those three states in order to build a Hornets nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    I wouldn't like it if the team was Louisiana because I believe they should reach out to other states as well. Keeping it New Orleans will allow them to have a regional support. This team needs to build a following in the Gulf South just like the Saints have and the best way to do it is for everyone in Saints country to have access to Hornets television whether its in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Hornets need to take over these states.

1) Televise

2) Market

3) Win

Winning is most important obviously, but we still need to control those three states in order to build a Hornets nation.
    NFL games being on Sunday drive people in from surrounding areas..

NBA games are throughout the week and often at night, so the chances of people driving in from the reaches of Alabama, northern LA/Mississippi, and northwestern Florida decrease.

Still, I agree we need to regionally market.
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster

I prefer New Orleans as well, but I could support a more regional name.

I was totally against any renaming of the Saints, I even though it was insulting when Benson said if he moved the team to Biloxi he would keep the name New Orleans Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    I prefer New Orleans as well, but I could support a more regional name.

I was totally against any renaming of the Saints, I even though it was insulting when Benson said if he moved the team to Biloxi he would keep the name New Orleans Saints.
    Growing up on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, I wouldn't have minded having the New Orleans Saints moving to the area

I think he just used Mississippi as leverage. He probably would have moved the team to Bay Saint Louis since its closer to the state line

After thinking about it, the name Breakers has a basketball connotation to it.

/fast break

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    NFL games being on Sunday drive people in from surrounding areas..

NBA games are throughout the week and often at night, so the chances of people driving in from the reaches of Alabama, northern LA/Mississippi, and northwestern Florida decrease.

Still, I agree we need to regionally market.
    I agree with that. It wouldn't change attendance, but my point was to be able to at least televise every game in those areas so we could build a larger fan base and maybe have people who visit New Orleans for tourist reasons to maybe catch a game or two while they are in town.

After thinking about it, the name Breakers has a basketball connotation to it.

/fast break
    That's true

Actually, Breakers would be ok with me. Keep the Creole Blue, but get rid of the gold and pinstripes and maybe add light green as a secondary color.

That's true

Actually, Breakers would be ok with me. Keep the Creole Blue, but get rid of the gold and pinstripes and maybe add light green as a secondary color.
    Creole blue is just a cookie cutter marketing name gimmick to describe a shade of teal. Death to teal and it's relatives.

Creole blue is just a cookie cutter marketing name gimmick to describe a shade of teal. Death to teal and it's relatives.
    With a name like Breakers, the team would have to be some form of blue since Breakers would symbolize water.

With a name like Breakers, the team would have to be some form of blue since Breakers would symbolize water.
    Good point...but dark blue isn't a shade of teal. Make the light blue color a highlight color at most....but NO SHADES OF TEAL.

Breakers??? Like Levee breakers?

Good point...but dark blue isn't a shade of teal. Make the light blue color a highlight color at most....but NO SHADES OF TEAL.
    Dark blue and light blue would be pretty cool. Breakers it is!!!

Dark blue and light blue would be pretty cool. Breakers it is!!!
    Actually we would look like the current Jazz

You guys bring up two good points...not only does the name breakers work...but it would also allow for a name like:

The Gulf Coast Breakers...

you mentioned that regionalizing the team could be beneficial for marketing/merchandising...The team does kind of represent the gulf coast (at least the northern part of it...not sure how Tampa people would react?) and it kind of reminds me of what oakland has done by being the "Golden State Warriors". Not sure how it would fly with the fanbase and more importantly with the owners but it still makes a bit of sense.

I still think drillers would be cool too whether it be the Louisiana Drillers, New Orleans Drillers, or Gulf Coast Drillers...the headlines would write themselves...."The Lakers Get Drilled: Kobe Complains After Being Swept Out of the Playoffs"
    Last edited by lionelmandrake; 05-03-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Thread Information