Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Name Change Ideas {merged}

I'm sticking with the Bourbons with Valiants as a wild card.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teal21
    All I want is teal back and il be happy.
    I'm going to slap you.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    The Hornets organization came to us with a silly logo and teal cloud hanging over it...and it screamed/screams of Shinn and Charlotte. Not always through fault of their own, it's only gotten worse since they've been in New Orleans. In lieu of the sale negotiation issues, I'm ready for George and his teal cloud of disfunction to go away. Make changes...WHOLESALE CHANGES. If I NEVER see the color teal again, it will be a day too soon.

i always liked the "Breakers" name
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Bring back the Breakers!

Damned blue! But it's a water based name.

love it

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    I've always been a fan of the Breakers logo.

Problem with the Breakers is it started in Boston as the Boston Breakers.

Go with the Bourbons, or something generic like Hyenas

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    Problem with the Breakers is it started in Boston as the Boston Breakers.

Go with the Bourbons, or something generic like Hyenas

but the name fits the region because of wave breaks. all you need to do is go out to the lake front and see the waves break against the steps and it makes perfect sense.

All-Louisiana Sports Fan! Jetstorm's Avatar
    I've posted this on another thread, but I'll summarize my opinions on name change/re-branding this way. Only two realistic, viable options IMHO.

1) Jazz or bust

Go to David Stern and the Millers in Utah, and find out what it would take (translation: how much moo-lah we're talkin') to get the Jazz name/identity back. Every man has his price, get 'em to name it.

The way to really make this work and truly sell it would be to make a serious move on this while the impending labor doom fleshes out. If there is a one-year or two-year labor stoppage/lockout, that would be the perfect time, I believe, to execute the Great NBA Name Swap.

Charlotte Bobcats=> Charlotte Hornets
    New Orleans Hornets => New Orleans Jazz
    Memphis Grizzlies => Memphis Express (or move to Seattle, SuperSonics REBORN!!!!!)
    Utah Jazz => Utah Grizzlies (there are bears in Utah, right? Right?!?!?)

Now, considering that's a far-fetched joke, I prefer....

2) Minor changes

Make the Fleur-de- Bee the official logo. Make the official colors purple, green and gold. Style-up the unis ala this year's Mardi Gras jerseys (but something a little more understated, not as loud and wild). Same with the court and the merchandise.

None of the other options appeal to me. Hate to be a hater and rain on others parade, but this is my honest assessment:

Pelicans: Tom Benson owns the rights, or so I've been told. Doubt he'll play ball if that is the case. Of all the name change ideas, this one I'm most open to.

Cyclones: I could live with this one. Since "Hurricanes" is taken, this could be a good descriptive of Gulf storms. But I don't like it better than Hornets or Jazz.

Buccaneers: The name has been dormant for too long, it holds ZERO New Orleans identity descriptive in the other 49 states and half of the people in this one, and the NBA will never go for it, I'm afraid. Too much brand confusion with the NFL team in Tampa Bay and the Milwaukee NBA team. I wouldn't want that.

Archangels/Arc Angels: Dumb. Sorry, it just is.
    Night/Nights/Neonights: Very dumb.
    Breakers: Eh. Just not excited about it. Just not.
    Bourbons: Minor league.
    Jesters: Sounds kinda minor league-ish, but the logo is awesome. Taken though.
    Brass: Minor league, plus I haven't abandoned all hope that pro hockey on some level might return to the city.
    Soul: Sounds more appropriate for our future WNBA team.
    All of the others sound bush league or like a real reach.

Less is more. Changes in logo emphasis and color scheme, I'm convinced, will allay most of the board members concerns in this department.
    "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is in the Lord." (Jeremiah 19:9)

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstorm
    Every man has his price, get 'em to name it.
    The nice thing is that whatever the price the Miller family wants for the Jazz name (probably a huge number), we could recoup at least a portion of it by simultaneously selling "Hornets" to the Michael Jordan/Charlotte ownership group...

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    I agree with jet/ian, but I just don't see Utah and Jazz fans going for it. They are too married to the name. I don't see any upside for them at this point. They are so wed to our creation that they are literally going back to our original logo next year as their primary, or so it has been reported.

CLT would be happy to take Hornets back, so that part of it is solvable. Memphis could probably ditch the Grizzlies as well, probably. But getting the Jazz owner and fans to give up that name seems like an immovable mountain to me.

Time for some football!!!

I think Charlotte would like the Hornets name back but I don't think Jordan could care less and will probably change their name to 'Airmen' out of vanity and a play on Carolina's 'first in flight' historical slant. The Utah Jazz will never sell the name back... not after all of this time, I just can't see it.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster
    I think Charlotte would like the Hornets name back but I don't think Jordan could care less and will probably change their name to 'Airmen' out of vanity and a play on Carolina's 'first in flight' historical slant. The Utah Jazz will never sell the name back... not after all of this time, I just can't see it.
    CLT fans want the name back. They are just as excited about Chouest buying the team as us, because they think they will get the name and color teal back.

We are never getting the Jazz name back, it's a shame but we all know it.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    CLT fans want the name back. They are just as excited about Chouest buying the team as us, because they think they will get the name and color teal back.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure!

Let'em have it.

They need to see the Special Man!

Anyway

1)New Orleans Crescents, New Orleans Moon, New Orleans Craters, New Orleans Lunars

2) New Orleans Hurricanes, New Orleans Wave, New Orleans Storm, New Orleans Surge

3) New Orleans Krewe, New Orleans Carnival, New Orleans Captains

4) New Orleans Kings (King Cake)

5) New Orleans Lagniappe

6) New Orleans Jazz

7) New Orleans Cajuns

8) New Orleans Creole

9) New Orleans Bayou with a gator mascot

10) New Orleans Gators

11) New Orleans Pelicans

12) New Orleans VooDoo

13) New Orleans Valiants - after our own gerry v

14) New Orleans Dixie

15) New Orleans Pirouges

16) New Orleans Indians

Im gonna try to add more, but my three favorites are:

New Orleans Bayou,

New Orleans Surge

New Orleans Pelicans

New Orleans Naturals (from the Big Easy)

New Orleans Free (short for carefree, relaxed, like the Big Easy)

Quote Originally Posted by truck man
    love it
    Your photo is up there with Brians , very nice , and thank you

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Something appealing about Surge. Mainly cuz I don't think any team has ever used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805
    Something appealing about Surge. Mainly cuz I don't think any team has ever used it.
    I agree. It is very unique. It keeps sticking with me.

All-Star
    Actually, the name Surge has been used. Check out their coaching staff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_Surge
    Last edited by toddkay; 04-29-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Font of Sports Knowledge B-Rich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toddkay
    Actually, the name Surge has been used. Check out their coaching staff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_Surge
    More than once, and currently in use close by:

Minor league hockey team in Biloxi, basically replaced the ECHL Mississippi Sea Wolves.... Surge sounds too minor league for my taste.... and its a little offensive to those who lost loved ones and property due to storm surge.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rich

Minor league hockey team in Biloxi, basically replaced the ECHL Mississippi Sea Wolves.... Surge sounds too minor league for my taste.... and its a little offensive to those who lost loved ones and property due to storm surge.
    My parents house in Pascagoula, MS was on the Gulf and got destroyed by the storm surge during Katrina. It was the house where I grew up. I would be ok with the Surge as a nickname. I would understand if others wouldn't want to use it.

I remember the Sea Wolves. Went to a few games over 10 years ago at the Coast Coliseum.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rich

No worse than the Miami Hurricanes when they get hit by them more frequently than we do. Sure, they aren't below sea level, but that doesn't stop it from killing people.

But the only other imtimidating names I can think of are generic stuff like The Ravage or Beasts.

Don't mean to offend anyone in light of the current oil spill in the gulf but the oil industry is pretty synonymous with Louisiana, so what about:

Louisiana/New Orleans Drillers

Chouest owns a oil field service company...it kind of makes sense. It is currently used by a minor league hockey team in Edmonton, an arena football team in Texas, and a minor league baseball team in Oklahoma.

Another option would be the Roughnecks...unless that is un PC...not sure.

Thread Information