Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Change Ideas {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFan11
    First of all, Jazz is the perfect name. It's a crime that Utah is the Jazz and we aren't.

I don't think we should use a professional team name that currently exists, so Buccaneers, Blues, and Royals should be out. Might as well be the Tigers.

Soul does sound like a WNBA team. Arc Angels is creative, but not good.

I think Buccaneers would have been cool, because of its past connection to the city. For that reason I like the Pelicans. That was New Orleans' old baseball team.

So I like:

Pelicans
    Brass
    Voodoo
    Revelers
    Kingfish
    Crescents

What about Creoles? Don't know if that works, but it's better than Cajuns (which is already UL's name and New Orleans isn't really Cajun).

I actually think Crescents is my favorite.
    I like Crescents too since we are the Crescent City, which is the biggest reason why I went with Arc Angels since arc is a synonym of crescent and angel is a synonym of saints.

But crescents would be really cool and could easily be used as a franchise logo. Voodoo and Brass are good as well, but not original as crescents.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

How about The "Bombardiers"...we could call them the Bombs for short. The logo could be a WW2 era bomber with a crescent logo painted on the side of the nose of the plane....WW2 style.

http://www.b17.org/history/interacti...-cone-side.jpg

The cheerleaders could dress like pinup girls from that era...And The WW2 National museum is in NO.

http://www.bowlingshirt.com/images/b...shell16_lg.jpg

http://www.b17.org/history/interactive_tour/B17web.swf

We'd be honoring a brave group of men who fought for our country....it's outside the box a bit, but hey we are New Orleans and a little different than anywhere else.
    Last edited by Darth Orleans; 04-17-2010 at 01:46 PM.

After all these years , all the title banners hanging up in Utah , and being known world wide as the Utah Jazz and were here for a short five years . Its really stupid and too late to take that name back . I can see Charlotte taking that name back , they have not been here that long and only won one division title . not like Utah where banners cover the entire ceiling . they just cant give up that proud history . I hate not being able to have that name too , but it is what it is . that name is gone . get over it .

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PRJ68
    After all these years , all the title banners hanging up in Utah , and being known world wide as the Utah Jazz and were here for a short five years . Its really stupid and too late to take that name back . I can see Charlotte taking that name back , they have not been here that long and only won one division title . not like Utah where banners cover the entire ceiling . they just cant give up that proud history . I hate not being able to have that name too , but it is what it is . that name is gone . get over it .
    That's true. But it also wasn't that long ago the Utah Jazz were considering changing the name. Of course it didn't happen, they just changed the colors, logo, and unis. 8 short years later and they are doing it again, new colors, logo, and uniforms (they are going back the NO/Utah style of jerseys and logo), and will be using the original Utah Jazz colors.

Now, while we only have 1 banner ... it's not like the CLT hornets won a ton of banners either. The Hornets spent 14 years in CLT, hardly historic, but if the name belongs anywhere it's CLT. The name does have special meaning there, and you also have the nostalgia of the Hornets being their first pro team.

That is why some of us are pushing for a name change. The hornets reflect Shinn more than any city. 14 seasons in CLT, 3 seasons in NO, 2 seasons in OKC, and finally 3 more seasons in NO. By comparison the Bobcats have had 6 seasons in CLT.

So, CLT now has their own team newly named Bobcats with rumors that Jordan might re-brand the franchise, OKC got the Sonics and re-branded them the Thunder, yet we are stuck representing a poor owner and 3 total cities ... 2 of which have new teams with new names. It's more than time for a change, and it's hard to understand why anyone would be against a name change.

Name change would be appropriate.

New Orleans Jesters or Louisiana Voo Doo get my vote . Not that I have a vote but.......I want a name change too . Give hornets back to Charlotte where it belongs . So they dont have to this same crap .

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    How about Chouestcats?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Chouestshire Cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    I like Crescents too since we are the Crescent City, which is the biggest reason why I went with Arc Angels since arc is a synonym of crescent and angel is a synonym of saints.

But crescents would be really cool and could easily be used as a franchise logo. Voodoo and Brass are good as well, but not original as crescents.
    No offense, Hornets78, but I think the "Arc Angels" would be horrible.

If the Hornets do decide to change names, I would like to see something local and/or along the lines of the industry Chouest is in (shipping/sea vessels). I'd prefer it to be a name that no other professional sports franchise uses, cannot easily be shortened like "Saints" to "Aints", and has potential for a strong, marketable logo.

That being my personal criteria, not all of which I could satisfy (i.e., not used by other pro team), I came up with the following, in on particular order:

1) New Orleans Mariners
    2) New Orleans Tarpons
    3) New Orleans Captains
    4) New Orleans Pilots
    5) New Orleans Oilers

I'd also like to see, of course, a color combo change, with black and gold the primary colors. Maybe a black-gold-red, black-gold-navy, etc.

I like Bourbons

Quote Originally Posted by Ponchy Hornet
    No offense, Hornets78, but I think the "Arc Angels" would be horrible.

If the Hornets do decide to change names, I would like to see something local and/or along the lines of the industry Chouest is in (shipping/sea vessels). I'd prefer it to be a name that no other professional sports franchise uses, cannot easily be shortened like "Saints" to "Aints", and has potential for a strong, marketable logo.

That being my personal criteria, not all of which I could satisfy (i.e., not used by other pro team), I came up with the following, in on particular order:

1) New Orleans Mariners
    2) New Orleans Tarpons
    3) New Orleans Captains
    4) New Orleans Pilots
    5) New Orleans Oilers

I'd also like to see, of course, a color combo change, with black and gold the primary colors. Maybe a black-gold-red, black-gold-navy, etc.
    Excellent stuff.

I agree, no offense to Hornets78, but I have refrained from commenting on Arc Angels....nice try (in terms of originality)...but I don't like it.

Nice fresh concept about the local industry angle...especially since Chouest is a big part of that. Not sure the names you suggested float my boat (pun intended), but I like the angle. Finally a new direction of the age long new name debate.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    I'll add that I think Arc Angels is creative and a nice pun/play on the three point arc but I don't necessarily want something similar to the Saints.

Just brainstorming here but were there any nicknames or monikers for Andy Jackson's crew that fought the Battle of New Orleans? Somewhat similar in that I'm told the Hornets name came about because North Carolina was dubbed a hornets nest during the revolutionary war (although I had never heard of that before).

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster
    I'll add that I think Arc Angels is creative and a nice pun/play on the three point arc but I don't necessarily want something similar to the Saints.

Just brainstorming here but were there any nicknames or monikers for Andy Jackson's crew that fought the Battle of New Orleans? Somewhat similar in that I'm told the Hornets name came about because North Carolina was dubbed a hornets nest during the revolutionary war (although I had never heard of that before).
    I've been wondering that too. Charlotte is known for the Queen City and a hornets nest. New Orleans is known as the Big Easy and the Crescent City.

I'm retiring Arc Angels for good and now I'm going with the Bourbons.

Its basically from a royal family in France closely associated with the Duke of Orleans and obviously with Bourbon St being popular, I'm going with it.

New Orleans Bourbons

Some other names I considered were along the lines of naval ship terms, but I did not see anywhere on Edison Chouest's site where his company does work for the U.S. Navy. IF, however, EC does in fact do work for the Navy, I'd propose these also:

* New Orleans Admirals
    * New Orleans Commodores or Commanders

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    I've been wondering that too. Charlotte is known for the Queen City and a hornets nest. New Orleans is known as the Big Easy and the Crescent City.

I'm retiring Arc Angels for good and now I'm going with the Bourbons.

Its basically from a royal family in France closely associated with the Duke of Orleans and obviously with Bourbon St being popular, I'm going with it.

New Orleans Bourbons
    Definitely unique and historic, but I'm not sure the team would want to associate itself in name with "Bourbon", since most people outside (and inside, really) of the City would think Bourbon St. and/or alcohol...

Hornets78, you DO get the award for the most creativity/cutting edge suggestions!
    Last edited by LetsGeauxPels; 04-17-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Some other names I considered were along the lines of naval ship terms, but I did not see anywhere on Edison Chouest's site where his company does work for the U.S. Navy. IF, however, EC does in fact do work for the Navy, I'd propose these also:

* New Orleans Admirals
    * New Orleans Commodores or Commanders

I like this concept of shipping, boating etc. How about the New Orleans Porters?

Bring back the Breakers!

Damned blue! But it's a water based name.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    I'd like the Breakers, Brass, or Bucs name.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    I'd like the Breakers, Brass, or Bucs name.
    They are "recycled" names, but they all work/worked. Any of the 3 is far superior to the Hornets identity in my opinion.

As much as I like the Bucs concept....I've really warmed up to bringing back the Brass name. Retro is considered "in" anyway.

Definitely unique and historic, but I'm not sure the team would want to associate itself in name with "Bourbon", since most people outside (and inside, really) of the City would think Bourbon St. and/or alcohol...

Hornets78, you DO get the award for the most creativity/cutting edge suggestions!
    Come on man, join the bandwagon. If you think the name is cool, look what I found when I looked up the House of Bourbon on wikipedia:

[IMG]House of Bourbon[/IMG]

The colors seem to be creole blue & gold

Could you imagine making a logo out of this? I think I'm gonna try.

New Orleans Valiants.

I like Mariners, but not for New Orleans. The entire region.

Gulf Coast Mariners

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    On the French influence note: Grenadiers.

You know, that isn't a bad idea. The only name I can come up with is the "Hickories" (Andrew Jackson was called Old Hickory) since I don't know of any nicknames for the battle crew itself.
    asdfghjkl;'

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMichael
    The Jesters already exist:

THATS TRUE , SUCKS , NICE LOGO ..

We have a soccer team named the Jesters? Didn't know that. Just take the name and logo. Soccer doesn't count anyway.

Thread Information