Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hornets Set Deadline For TT

Hornets Set Deadline For TT

Sources: Hornets want decision soon

By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

The New Orleans Hornets, who offered their vacant coaching job to Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau last week, might hire someone else if Thibodeau has not accepted the job before Game 1 of the NBA Finals, according to sources close to the situation.

{edited - please do not post entire articles}

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba...ory?id=5243406

Please please please accept!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    I hope he excepts as well ... if not then we are forced to hire Monty.

If he doesn't want us, we dont want him...The balls squarely in TT's court. There's no guarantee the Nets or the Bulls will hire him anyway.....I like the sign by Thursday or we move on 2 Williams idea. We dont need another premadonna coach (a blatant jab at BScott). I hope he signs with us tho...Never let em see you sweat.

I'll be glad either way, really. I'd prefer Thibodeau to Williams, but we needed to make it clear that we're not going to wait around forever for him to make a decision. I'm just hoping the media are right for once on this one.

After this we'll just need to finalize the sale, assuming that doesn't take another 4 years, then we can move on to more important things like the draft.

I'll just be glad when we finally have some resolution.

I completely understand the need to get this behind us. However, from TT's standpoint, I would be a bit taken aback that I was given an ultimatum without assurances as to who I will be working for. I guess that is the nature of the beast though.

Unless TT has some secret deal in place with CHI or NJ (which there are no signs indicating that) he'd be taking a great risk by turning down the Hornets. He's been passed over before, and the Hornets may be the first team to offer him that head coaching opportunity he's been wanting.

I have a feeling he's going to accept, realizing he has an opportunity with a new basketball knowledgeable and business-savvy billionaire as incoming owner, the games best point guard in Chris Paul, a decent first-year core in Paul/West/Okafor, some promising young talent plus a lottery pick, and expiring contracts for next season. He has a chance to build something...

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    I completely understand the need to get this behind us. However, from TT's standpoint, I would be a bit taken aback that I was given an ultimatum without assurances as to who I will be working for. I guess that is the nature of the beast though.
    I think it's well known that Chouest is going to be the owner who he'll be working for... Chouest would not have been present at all the interviews if this wasn't the case IMO... It's simply a process that hasn't been completed...

From the Hornets perspective I think they are ready to have a coach in place with the draft 3 weeks out, though I'm not sure how much work TT will be able to put in for the Hornets over the next couple weeks...

Hornets playing hardball...LOL
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet
    Hornets playing hardball...LOL
    It is kinda funny isn't it?

BTW...I perfer Monty over TT.

The more I read about TT, the more I think he is a JVG clone.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Man, I wonder when they did this? Game 1 is tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP
    Man, I wonder when they did this? Game 1 is tomorrow night.
    a) To not get screwed

b) to save face in case they couldn't get him anyway

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    i have the feeling that he will accept. with that said monty seems to be the better fit with this team being in transition from some of our bad contracts coming off the books to needing to develop/groom some young talent to an upcoming lockout and the uncertainty to follow. i prefer monty to be honest.

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geaux hornets
    i have the feeling that he will accept. with that said monty seems to be the better fit with this team being in transition from some of our bad contracts coming off the books to needing to develop/groom some young talent to an upcoming lockout and the uncertainty to follow. i prefer monty to be honest.
    I'm sort of having the same feeling. However, the team probably need as big of a splash at the HC position and Monty doesn't do that. The casual fan has been seeing TT for the past several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAdmiral
    I'm sort of having the same feeling. However, the team probably need as big of a splash at the HC position and Monty doesn't do that. The casual fan has been seeing TT for the past several weeks.
    from that perspective i agree. one thing i have noticed for some reason is that more and more opinions have been favoring monty. i don't think it will be a big blow if they don't get tt. fans have been reading up on what he did in portland and would be equally as happy. from that alone the hornets can save face if they don't get their answer before game 1 tomorrow.

I do not think opinions have changed much towards Monty. I think many seem to think that the Hornets could not possibly get the clear best available assistant, so many are trying to soften the blow of settling for Monty. Most do not know anything about Monty as there is not much to go on. However, he is an easier sign.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Hold on a minute. Remember what Jeff Bower said.....if it didn't come from him, it's "rumor or unauthorized and unreliable information".

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet
    BTW...I perfer Monty over TT.

The more I read about TT, the more I think he is a JVG clone.
    I think TT will bring more offensively than people give him credit for. Obviously he's a defensive master-mind, but I think he will design a good fluid offense as well.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Hold on a minute. Remember what Jeff Bower said.....if it didn't come from him, it's "rumor or unauthorized and unreliable information".
    I've been thinking the same thing since this popped up today

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    I think TT will bring more offensively than people give him credit for. Obviously he's a defensive master-mind, but I think he will design a good fluid offense as well.
    I've always believed that in sports, the great minds could turn right around and coach the other side of the ball. Simply because they know what's going on, on the other side. They know what works, and what doesn't. Obviously I made it sound a little easier than it is, but you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78
    but what is that based on? while monty is a unknown, tt is known for his defense. there is nothing out there to suggest he will be successful on offense. not all but most coaches are only as good as their staff and the players they have to work with roster wise.

Quote Originally Posted by geaux hornets
    but what is that based on? while monty is a unknown, tt is known for his defense. there is nothing out there to suggest he will be successful on offense. not all but most coaches are only as good as their staff and the players they have to work with roster wise.
    TT would definitely have a challenge with the way this team played defense last year. He has been successful from a defensive standpoint everywhere he has been (and that has been his focus). Using the same logic though, can we say what would indicate Monty would be successful on offense or defense? There is not enough to go on with him to even know. I fear hiring Williams is settling for that "disposable coach" mentioned many times on the board.

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    Well....defense does create offense!

Quote Originally Posted by shanetrain93
    Well....defense does create offense!
    Yes it does my friend, yes it does, and maybe if we get TT we would successfully be able to do the two PG lineup (if we're playing a short team) without feeling wrong about it after two minutes when bower did it

Thread Information