Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Change Ideas {merged}

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    I love the FDB. It was a great concept considering what they had to work with. But it was patchwork. They aren't limited to the name Hornets...or the color teal...now that George is selling the team.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Teal is great... wait is it still 1995?

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Chouest is a local guy. He loves basketball. He understands our past professional basketball heritage. He understands our city. He's smart. Etc.

Smart guys listen and think about all possible options. While not a necessity, a rebrand is an option. I would bet that Chouest and Weber (another sharp guy) go through every last detail of this organization with a fine tooth comb...in an open minded way.
    Feels good, doesn't it?

I read that Marc Stein blurb about all of this and it's already starting to make a difference.

A few weeks ago I was seriously starting to lose interest in the Hornets, the games were becoming more background noise than anything. In just a few short days everything has changed. Instead of feeling like the next few years with the Hornets would be miserable I have real optimism for the New Orleans Basketball Team's future.

I actually like the uniforms we have now, but replace the blue with purple, it would be fantastic.

New Orleans Gators

New Orleans Kingfish
    New Orleans Gambit
    New Orleans Crescents
    New Orleans Riverboats
    New Orleans Sinners

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    Feels good, doesn't it?

I read that Marc Stein blurb about all of this and it's already starting to make a difference.

A few weeks ago I was seriously starting to lose interest in the Hornets, the games were becoming more background noise than anything. In just a few short days everything has changed. Instead of feeling like the next few years with the Hornets would be miserable I have real optimism for the New Orleans Basketball Team's future.

Same here...I think there is a real hope that this org. can become a serious contender eventually.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

Voodoo is by far the best name other than Jazz imo. I didn't like the Arena team's logo though. You can make a much cooler logo for Voodoo than that cartoonish crap.

Bucs is lame. They would always be confused with Tampa and Milwaukee.

I say push hard for Jazz or Voodoo. None of the others are very good.

Hornets is pretty lame too imo. Teal is retched.

Soul is kind of ok too. Pelicans wouldn't be bad imo either.

It's got to be unique. I say no way to any name already used by another professional major league team.

Brass isn't too bad.

I'd rank them:

1. Jazz
    2. Voodoo
    3. Soul
    4. Pelicans
    5. Brass
    6. Nutria

If you wanted to play off the nickname of the city like Golden State does on California's nickname you could go with Crescent City Krewe which at least flows off the tongue.

Or we could always call them the New Orleans Y'ats.

Chiefs in honor of the Mardi Gras Indians could make for some interesting logos, etc.
    Last edited by ULsaint; 04-10-2010 at 04:33 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Oh God. Just imagine us being the New Orleans Nutria...

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    Same here...I think there is a real hope that this org. can become a serious contender eventually.
    At least it feels possible. I know it will take a long time, but that will be part of the fun because we shouldn't have money issues hanging over the franchise. I'm sure Chouest will be smart with his money, he will also more than likely have a better group of people making basketball decisions.

We really couldn't have asked for a better end to this season.

After doing some thinking about it, I had the idea of Krew of New Orleans, with purple, green, and gold unis. If they we're going to go the Mardi Gras ideas.

I don't want any names of past professional new orleans teams (Bucs, Pelicans, Voodoo, NeoKnights, Brass, and so on..). Let the past be the past. Let's bring in a fresh idea to the table if we're going to rebrand our basketball team.

Revelers... Makes into an easy nickname (Revs); uses the purple, green & gold colors everyone desperately wants; instantly identifies with NOLA. Also, it's a Mardi Gras name for a team whose season coincides with Mardi Gras.

Although ultimately I think the Hornets name is worth more than the negative connotations of relocation; renaming the team is liable to turn away the fans that loved the team pre-NOLA.
    asdfghjkl;'

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Matrix
    Revelers... Makes into an easy nickname (Revs); uses the purple, green & gold colors everyone desperately wants; instantly identifies with NOLA. Also, it's a Mardi Gras name for a team whose season coincides with Mardi Gras.

Although ultimately I think the Hornets name is worth more than the negative connotations of relocation; renaming the team is liable to turn away the fans that loved the team pre-NOLA.
    Those fans are fans because of the team not colors or a uniform.

Where fairies happen Contributor whoah whoah's Avatar
    If we were to rename the team right now would be the time to do it (assuming the sale goes through).
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3
    you eat so good. you're always gonna eat good. I kid a lot, everything is spicy, the fruit loops even have some kick to em
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James
    We played pretty good defense. We bottled him [Paul] up, but with eyes in the back of his head, he found David West"

Drop me off in New Orleans CapitolHornet45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    I like New Orleans Horns ... sort of pleases and also doesn't quite satisfy everyone.

If the Hornets dropped Hugo completely, went with the only the FDB, and changed colors to mardi gras colors then I could get on board with keeping Hornets.

Shinn doesn't own the team anymore, no reason to keep his legacy running and Hornets, Teal, and pinstripes are all Shinn.
    I agree more with this than with changing the name of the team completely, especially to something hokey and forced, just to make it sound "local". Having an NBA team named something like the "New Orleans Gumbo" sounds sort of silly to me. Sounds like something that should be used for a minor league hockey team and not a team in the NBA.

The team has been here eight years and those who in the area know them as the New Orleans Hornets. Change the colors, switch to the FDB, but don't change the name. I think you only add to the identity problems if you change the teams name and try to start from scratch after nearly a decade of being in the city and working to establish yourself. JMHO.

The Hornets have been in the city for two three year periods. And for that 1st three years hardly anyone really cared. Not exactly a decade of wild support.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitolHornet45
    I agree more with this than with changing the name of the team completely, especially to something hokey and forced, just to make it sound "local". Having an NBA team named something like the "New Orleans Gumbo" sounds sort of silly to me. Sounds like something that should be used for a minor league hockey team and not a team in the NBA.

The team has been here eight years and those who in the area know them as the New Orleans Hornets. Change the colors, switch to the FDB, but don't change the name. I think you only add to the identity problems if you change the teams name and try to start from scratch after nearly a decade of being in the city and working to establish yourself. JMHO.

That is possible ... but it's also possible that a new owner, new outlook, fresh start, and new identity completely establishes the team in this city strong than ever before. Generating the interest the team has lacked in both it's trips to NO from other cities. The new name doesn't have to be hokey or minor league'ish ... I don't think anyone wants that. If there are changes they probably won't even have a "name the team" contest.

I feel like if everyone liked the Hornets name, the color teal, and felt a strong connection to the team in this city then this issue wouldn't be getting nearly the amount of interest that is.

No one really knows what is going to happen, but we do none of us are going to be able to influence what happens.

I don't get where this 'established' thing comes from: How often do the Hornets get coverage on WWL or any other radio station in the city/region outside of Gerry V? The answer is basically none -- it's probably no more than ten or so hours of dedicated time for the whole year if you add it up. Television coverage is pretty much limited to game recaps and sometimes it's just as simple as giving the score (not going to count CST because it's basically sponsored/paid for by the Hornets as far as their programming goes). Newspaper coverage is a bit better with a couple of basketball beat writers but it's probably localized to the city only. I'm not saying a name change will generate more interest but I will call baloney on this 'establishment' argument. The Hornets name/culture/whatever is far from 'established' in this city. They're almost an afterthought to the majority of the region and there exists the possibility they could be marketing a lot better.

Hell the Zephyrs are probably more 'established' than the Hornets. There was more of a buzz (no pun intended) for UNO basketball back when Floyd coached.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 04-10-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Matrix

The guys who run this site are going to be more political because the more users, the better, but personally I could care less if fans of the team from overseas, etc. are marginalized by a name change.

If they want to stick around, fine. But, honestly, apart from some merchandising, what benefit does the team really get from them? Normally, I would never reduce fans' interest to dollars and cents but the bottom line is one local fan that can identify with the team more and buys a ticket because of a re-brand, is probably worth about 50 fans from the Charlotte days or people from around the world that grew up with some weird infatuation with teal.

Give the name and colors to Charlotte. Get rid of the god awful Bobcats name and let both cities be what they really are. Who the hell pulls for a team because of a cartoon hornet and teal anyway :shrug:

And maybe it's selfish, but I don't care. I want the team to be all New Orleans. Fans from other locations be damned.

It's not even a matter of being diplomatic just the reality of business. The vast majority of the team's revenue is going to be drawn from the city/region -- that isn't to say anyone is less of a fan but when they're making a decision that is what's going to be in their heads not loyalty to Hugo. If they think Hornets is more marketable/entrenched than anything else they can come up with then they'll keep it. If Chouest decides he wants something regional that's what we're going to get: his team, he calls the shots.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMichael
    Our current typeface is second to none. They were really creative with it. The only suggestion I have would be to once and for all to get rid of the Hugo logo.
    You are right about the typeface on the uniforms. Attractive and classy on both the home and away jerseys. But I would like to see "Hornets" on the home jerseys, not the city name. I think it would look much better.

I also agree the current Hugo logo needs to go. No NBA fan who is not already a Hornets fan is likely to buy Hornets gear because they like the way it looks. I would like to see them do something with Hugo like the Philadelphia Eagles did with their logo. It is still obviously an eagle but it is more attention getting and more likely to appeal to someone on its looks alone. A talented artist can do something similar and very interesting with a creature like a hornet.

But I would like the Hugo mascot that makes appearances to stay the same. Adorable and pudgy and well liked by the local kids.
    Last edited by toddkay; 04-10-2010 at 10:44 PM.

I love our uniform designs, especially pinstripes which fits well in a city like New Orleans. However, change the blue color to purple and and it would be fantastic.

I nominate New Orleans Arc Angels

Arc is a synonym of crescent, angels is related to Saints. Hence, Arc Angels.

Use a crescent symbol with a halo around it. Possibly add the Crescent City Connection next to it or under it making the halo crescent appear in the sky. Make the crescent white, the halo gold, and the CCC purple and green and the logo should be set.

I'm seriously psyched about the potential new ownership. I love this team so much and would love to see another chance to win a championship like two seasons. I never enjoyed a season as much as that one because the team had a legitimate chance to win it all. I never felt like that until this season with the Saints. Even the 2006 Saints weren't as good as the Colts, Chargers, Ravens, Patriots, and especially the Bears that season. The Hornets were good enough to win a title if they played their best.

The Franchise
    Was looking at a list of names of teams that have played in Louisiana. One that was quite interesting is

- Spice

Though a bit wnbaish

Soul, Blues and Brass are my favourite. I think I would go with Soul if it was my choice.
    Last edited by RyanM; 04-11-2010 at 01:44 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thread Information