Pelicans Report

Thread: LSU Assistant Coaching Changes Rumors

LSU LSU Assistant Coaching Changes Rumors

From dandydon.com

Good morning, Tiger Fans. There are a lot of coaching rumors circulating concerning LSU football. According to several reports, Tennessee assistant coach Frank Wilson is a leading candidate to join the LSU coaching staff. Wilson is from New Orleans and built a solid program at O.P. Walker High before joining the Ole Miss coaching staff led by Ed Orgeron. After Orgeron and his staff were replaced at Ole Miss by Houston Nutt, Orgeron and Wilson joined Lane Kiffin's staff at Tennessee. Wilson is known as a very aggressive recruiter and would be a great replacement for Larry Porter. The hiring of Wilson is not a done deal, but it looks likely that he will be joining Les Miles' coaching staff in some capacity.

At this time, Larry Porter's job is the only open spot on the staff, but it is almost a sure bet that at least two other spots will open up, and most likely four. Gary Crowton, D.J. McCarthy and Greg Studrawa are rumored to be gone after the bowl game. I have heard at least eight to 10 names as possible replacements for Studrawa and I have heard as many or more names as candidates to replace Crowton. The next few days there will be plenty of rumors concerning coaching changes.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Who's going to replace the lead idiot Miles?

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    I'd be hesitant to take a position with Miles right now because his *** is about to end up on the hot seat itself.

Time for some football!!!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    I like the idea of changing the OC out, I never really liked Crowton ... not at LSU and not at Ore either.

Looks like LSU will end up in the Capitol One bowl, it's considered to be the best non-BCS bowl, and LSU can really capitalize on it ... 3rd best record in the SEC and a win would help regain some respect after last season and the 5 losses. When we beat GT last season like a rented mule it moved us into the preseason top 10. For the type of season LSU had you really can't ask for much more.

They will most likely play either Iowa or Penn St. I prefer Iowa St because it will be a better game. Penn St has been over rated all season long.

Yeah, and we will probably lose to Iowa in that bowl - AGAIN.

At least it is a New Year's Day game, but it comes on pretty early out here.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet

At least it is a New Year's Day game, but it comes on pretty early out here.
    Iowa is not untouchable, they struggled against Div1aa teams ... had to block to Northern Iowa FGs in the final seconds to beat them. That said, they played well against the better teams they faced.

That last loss to Iowa was heartbreaking, in fact it made the top 30 plays in the last 30 years. I'm still pissed Nick didn't have a better defensive scheme for the last play of the game. Maybe the Bama fans are on to something ... they say Nick can't win the important big meaningful games.

An FU player (DE) is out for the SEC Chumpionship game. DUI.

Replace Crowten, fine. But where was Miles before Crowten showed up...oh yeah thats right not winning a BCS title game. Hey its all good Les, somebody needs to fall on their sword...might as well not be you. I hope we get a legit OC, butnobody wants to be OC here when Les Miles wont listen to what you say anyway.

Burn in hell Les.

All-Star Contributor
    Not unless Saban sneaks into LSU's locker room. Fortunately, he'll be preparing his team to lose to Boise State in the Sugar Bolw. Miles is unstoppable in bowl games.

Come to think of it, that would be embarassing for Bama to lose to both Utah and then Boise St. in bowls. And the folks in the inter-mountain west would all think that they are better than the SEC. Saban better keep his **** together if he loses the SEC Championship game on Saturday.

Come to think of it, that would be embarassing for Bama to lose to both Utah and then Boise St. in bowls. And the folks in the inter-mountain west would all think that they are better than the SEC. Saban better keep his **** together if he loses the SEC Championship game on Saturday.

Bama fans right now are not as happy as we think. They are watching Nick very closely. They do not want to lose to Fl this weekend, and if they do they really don't want to lose to whoever they face in the Sugar Bowl.

You think LSU fans are pissed at Miles, that is nothing compared to the anxiety in Alabama right now. Sure they went undefeated and beat LSU/AU; great but the tag on Saban right now is that he hasn't proved he can win the games that count.

I feel like the SEC is getting out of control with expectations ... you can't have the strongest conference in the league and have repeat success year after year after year. It's tough, it's also why many experts are predicting Urban is going to go to ND next season.

Florida is facing a 1 or 2 year rebuilding project, Urban is going to think long and hard about if he wants to face the wrath of the Gator fans for not continue this amazing amount of success they have had recently. Going to ND would get him more money and buy him some time. I still think Urban is going to stay at Florida because he has bought some coaching capitol but that ND job is almost too good to pass up.

Bama fan has no room to be upset. Until Saban showed up, they had pretty much become a dormat SEC program. Even Auburn blew right by them. I understand the rub about Saban not winning the big game at Bama - yet. My feeling is that FU will take the SEC title. It's Tebow's last shot, etc...and if Bama did draw Boise in the Sugar, those folks will come in wanting to punch bama in the mouth. So, if Bama loses these next two games, good.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    UF is still going to win 10 or 11 games next year, Brantley is an excellent QB and their defense will be great as usual. If anyone has a fall off it could be Bama.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    UF is still going to win 10 or 11 games next year, Brantley is an excellent QB and their defense will be great as usual. If anyone has a fall off it could be Bama.
    LSU could win 10 games this year and everyone wants Miles fired.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    They could just as easily lose four or five with how tough the west is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    They could just as easily lose four or five with how tough the west is going to be.
    I agree, the West is clearly the better SEC division. It's been proven on the field 4 years in a row.

You are also right that Urban could sleep walk through the East and end the season with 10 or 11 wins ... but in the SEC that is not good enough, Miles is an example of that. Urban was a WR coach at ND not that long ago, I don't see why he wouldn't at least explore his options.

Urban has nothing left to prove at Florida and I don't think he wants to be Florida's Bear Bryant or try to supplant the Old Ball Coach as the main man on campus. He has nothing left to prove, he is the best coach in the SEC during it's golden age and sticking around will only be a headache. At ND he would get time and less pressure while still enjoying all the privileges of coaching a program that can recruit in any state in the nation. He would be going there in his prime and would have the potential to be a true coaching legend.

And that's the thing about college football, the level of success is razor thin and very fickle.

I'm not arguing that Miles is a good coach or even on the same level as Urban Few coaches are that good.. I never liked Miles, but I do respect what he has been able to accomplish here. I don't think just anybody could have won with Saban's guys, I don't believe he would have such success in bowl games if he was such a horrible coach. He doesn't make good decisions but more often than not he puts them in position to win.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    LSU could win 10 games this year and everyone wants Miles fired.
    If they win their bowl game and finish 10-3, many of the dogs will be quieted. If he loses, however, you will hear the barking going on all throughout the off-season.

I am not a big fan of Coach Les Miles, but I am really not a fan of Coach Urban Meyer either.

another point to make about those 10 wins... were any of those teams any good? uga really impressed people? miss. st is doing well but really? if we had been smart and beat ole miss. maybe we have a win worth a darn, but we dropped the ball way to many times.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias
    another point to make about those 10 wins... were any of those teams any good? uga really impressed people? miss. st is doing well but really? if we had been smart and beat ole miss. maybe we have a win worth a darn, but we dropped the ball way to many times.
    I hear you, but on the flip side of that, we gave FU their closest game and Bama escaped us after some bad reffing and a bad break regarding Patrick Pederson being injured and out of a game on that long Bama TD play. LSU didn't embarass itself in those games per se. The embarassment happened against Ole Miss.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias
    Depends. We can't have it both ways ... either the SEC is the best conference top to bottom or it's not. If it is, then at least some of those wins are impressive, if not then you have a point.

That's the real problem facing the SEC and the fans. We all love to claim we have the best, hardest, toughest conference and that each team (even the lower level ones) is tough to beat ... in fact it's the main excuse behind the SEC's embarrassing out of conference scheduling. However, I have yet to meet an SEC fan that is honestly impressed with their own team's wins, yet they all grumble about the losses. The wins are expected and the losses are unforgivable (no matter the level of competition on Sat).

I feel the real way it breaks down is this ... if you are in the SEC and expected to win then no losses are expected (FL, Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, UGA), if you are in the SEC and considered to be on the lower end then the wins are impressive. Talent in the SEC is fairly equal with a slight advantage to a handful of teams. By nature football is a one time deal, and on any given Sat anything can happen.

SEC fans, all of us, need to stop being so spoiled. We can't trash every conference in the country for being soft, easy, or filled with cupcakes dominated by one program then turn around and trash the other schools in the SEC we play because our wins against our own are not "impressive enough".

So, either the SEC is the best conference or it's not. If it is, and I believe it is, then some of LSU's SEC wins are good wins.

The SEC is the best conference. That said, it wasn't long ago that we beat each other up and never had a team playing for the championship. Well, at least post-Bryant. That has definitely changed a bit. Every SEC team entrant in the BCS Title game this year has simply been dominating. This is the one year where our SEC entrant may be more vulnerable than usual. If Texas wins their Conference, and I think they will, their odds of winning it all are probably better than they would have been at any other time this decade facing either LSU or FU. FU doesn't look as strong to me this year as they were last year, and Bama hasn't one the big one yet. We'll see.

The SEC is the best conference. That said, it wasn't long ago that we beat each other up and never had a team playing for the championship. Well, at least post-Bryant. That has definitely changed a bit. Every SEC team entrant in the BCS Title game this year has simply been dominating. This is the one year where our SEC entrant may be more vulnerable than usual. If Texas wins their Conference, and I think they will, their odds of winning it all are probably better than they would have been at any other time this decade facing either LSU or FU. FU doesn't look as strong to me this year as they were last year, and Bama hasn't one the big one yet. We'll see.
    The SEC became dominate (and the best conference) when Miami and Neb went down. Bama and FL dominated the 90s, and to be honest they were the only two SEC teams worth anything. I never believed in the "SEC teams beat each other up so everyone had mediocre records" tag from the 90s. That is what's happening now, the SEC teams are beating each other up. The SEC has more upsets than normal conferences because the lower tiered teams are very good comparatively. Last season Ole Miss beat FL, some say it was a fluke but I watched the game and Ole Miss earned that win.

The best part for the SEC is that college is more popular than ever during the SEC's golden age ... the Pac10 is a close 2nd, the Big12 and Big10 are way over rated.

Texas is good but not dominate, they played in a weak conference this season (much weaker than last year because the Big12 Os were not nearly as good). Texas might give Bama or FL a game, but I'm not convinced they can beat Neb ... Texas hasn't faced a good D all year long, Neb will be the first time. For what it's worth, Texas struggled with Wyoming ... that's right, Wyoming. They did rack up high scores and big wins, but look at the schedule and who they played. It's not that impressive when you consider most of those teams are going to back into bowl games. OU is unranked, OSU got beat bad by OU, no other Big 12 team is worth anything right now ... Texas T and Kansas both had decent early seasons because they didn't play anybody.

Thread Information