Pelicans Report

Thread: The Oregon "Civil War" 2009

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar

The Oregon "Civil War" 2009

The Ore St/Ore game is very entertaining tonight. Back forth and high scoring ... winner goes to the Rose Bowl.

Ore St is up 30-21 qtr with 7 minutes left in the 3rd with Ore in Ore St territory.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    This has been a great game so far, not much defense but it has been fun to watch. I'm a big Mike Riley fan, with not a lot of resources and a lack of talent he always seems to have the Beavers winning 8-9 games a year.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

Wow, I had forgotten about this game - all these mid-week games just aren't right. Just turned it on w/ Oregon up 1

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    The NFL game just seemed flat. Didn't come across like an NFL game. This game is much more interesting. Maybe I'm just spoiled on really good football. Thanks Saints!

that was a good game, and i had no dog in this fight but i found myself pulling for oregon state. good game by both teams.

was anyone waiting for lagarret blount to throw a punch when the crowd rushed the field.

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    This has been a great game so far, not much defense but it has been fun to watch. I'm a big Mike Riley fan, with not a lot of resources and a lack of talent he always seems to have the Beavers winning 8-9 games a year.
    I'm big Riley fan as well ... great coach and does a really good job. He always has Ore St in contention for a good bowl.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    The Ore St/Ore game is very entertaining tonight. Back forth and high scoring ... winner goes to the Rose Bowl.

Ore St is up 30-21 qtr with 7 minutes left in the 3rd with Ore in Ore St territory.
    I fell asleep during the game. Not because it was boring or anything. I was just tired and the game was not of much interest to me. Now that I have spit that out,

Ore St. blew this game by blowing too many red zone opportunities. The Rose Bowl people should get on their knees and pray to Allah and thank Him for this. Having two 10-2 traditional Rose Bowl entrants play is better than having Ore St. in there, at least this year. That said, Mike Riley, or whatever his name is, has now blown consecutive chances to go to the Rose Bowl in 2 years. I find it curious that the Ore St. people don't have a problem with this. It really seems to show that they are just happy to have a winning season and go to any bowl.

As for Riley winning 8 or 9 per year, let's not forget that prior to Dennis Erickson showing up at Ore. St., Riley couldn't do better than 6 wins or so. Erickson really helped elevate that program and Riley is simply trying to maintain. he has been a failure elsewhere. I wouldn't want him.

As for the NFL game...it was played in Toronto, a big mistake in my opinion. The fans just really weren't into the game. I wish the NFL would stop screwing around like this. The crowd sounded like an exhibition crowd. It sucked.

Time for some football!!!

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    I find it curious that the Ore St. people don't have a problem with this. It really seems to show that they are just happy to have a winning season and go to any bowl.
    That's because those fans haven't been SEC'ed yet.

Now that USC is somewhat down the expectations within the conference are going to rise ... once that happens then no one will be happy in the Pac10 because they are all going to want to win the Pac10 and go to the Rose Bowl.

I wouldn't say they are just happy to have a winning season and go to a bowl ... but keep in mind that before Riley got there Ore St had something like 26 losing seasons in a row. Going to bowls is still a novelty, but that will end soon with USC coming back to earth.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Riley turned the team from a 2-win per year team, to one that won about 5 or 6. Then Erickson came in. Oregon and Oregon St. predominantly recruit in California. Ore St. is especially strong in the L.A. area. Whomever doesn't go to USC, UCLA, Cal, seem to end up in Oregon. Meanwhile, the WA and AZ programs aren't doing that well. I am not sure why Erickson hasn't had much success at ASU. When he came in, it looked like he was going to do something. Not so sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    Riley turned the team from a 2-win per year team, to one that won about 5 or 6. Then Erickson came in. Oregon and Oregon St. predominantly recruit in California. Ore St. is especially strong in the L.A. area. Whomever doesn't go to USC, UCLA, Cal, seem to end up in Oregon. Meanwhile, the WA and AZ programs aren't doing that well. I am not sure why Erickson hasn't had much success at ASU. When he came in, it looked like he was going to do something. Not so sure now.
    Arizona doing very well, I like what Stoops is doing there ... but it's a long term rebuilding project. Arizona will finish with a very respectable record and more than likely play in a good bowl.

I have no idea why ASU is not doing well. They have the talent, always do, but they never get the breaks. It takes some luck in college football because it's impossible to get consistent play out of 18 year olds. I will say this, they have a very good young D. I predict that in a few years ASU will be winning 8 to 9 games again.

WSU just sucks.

Thread Information