Pelicans Report

Thread: Surviving without CP3

Surviving without CP3

When CP3 went down with a severe ankle sprain last Friday the first thing I thought was, “How are we going to survive this?”, I’ m sure others thought the same thing. Former coach, Byron Scott had made both the team and fans so dependent on Paul that it appeared the best thing to do would be to throw the towel in and wait to next season. The last two games maybe an indicator that we don’t have to do that.

The games against the Clippers and Suns gives renew hope that CP3 does not always have to be on the floor trying to carry this team on his shoulder all the time. It proves that if given the chance young players such as Collinson and Thornton can produce and contribute. It proves that other people on the team can step up and fill the leadership role. Now how long they can continue to do these remains to be seen.

I dare not be foolish and say that the Hornets can go an extensive length of time without Chris Paul; after all he is the heart of the team. But I am beginning to understand why Scott was let go and what the Hornets are trying to accomplish. Byron Scott failed in one of his most important duties. That is the development of players so that CP3 would not have to play nearly 48 min per game or try to score nearly thirty or forty points per night with twenty assist per game. They probably felt like they had the players in place but that they were not ready to step up in times like these and under Scott would never be ready.

Jeff Bower and Tim Floyd appear to be taking a different approach. They are taking the idea that as important as Paul is to this team he is not the only player on the team. Other players can step in and help carry the load so that one player doesn’t have to do it all the time. As I said before it would be unrealistic to think the Hornets can go a long time without Paul. But I also think that when someone like CP3 goes down there should not be that much of a drop off. At least one that doesn’t have people saying, “How are we going to survive this.”
    "I ain't got too much money, I ain't got too much sense. I once had a dream but that's no recompense"-Supertramp 1970

I've been arguing back and forth with many people over this Byron issue and how it had to be done. I'm glad that it's finally showing and others are starting to see the light, including CP.

I don't think it's a development issue right now b/c I don't think Floyd/Bower developed these kids in a week lol, that would be ridiculous to think, but I do think he is putting them in position to excel at what they do best and giving them the confidence (which I don't think Byron ever did in young players) to do so. I always complained that Byron never put his players in positions to exceed at what they do best and we always sat stagnant on the perimeter. It was awesome to see this team actually running offensive sets and out of bound sets to get their players open.

Of course, I agree we can't go long w/o CP, and it's going to be AWESOME to see him in the backcourt with some of these guys. I can't wait, but until then, I hope these rookies and players keep showing NOLA and the rest of the NBA 'fans' elsewhere that Byron HAD to go.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    CP going down was probably the best thing for our roster ... they have been forced to step up. It's also nice to see CP so into the games and congratulating players as they come off the field.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    As they come off the field? Ah, football season is still in full swing!

Time for some football!!!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar

you know what I mean.

It is nice, and great change from when BD and Mash would be out.

Sec. 110 - You know me! Contributor roturn's Avatar
    I saw this as an opportunity to see what other talent we have in the back court, primarily when it came to Scott's evaluation of the rookies. Shedding more light on who was to blame for the poor finish last season and the slow start this season.

Rookie
    It is just nice to see 5 guys moving instead of cp dribbling and 4 guys watching. Floyd and Bower finally have a moving offense and as soon as cp comes back it will be fun to watch again like the fast pace we played a couple of years ago.

Thread Information