Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hey guys, visiting N'awlins for the first time this Spring!!!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets85
    Wow really?! I figured sinced Popeye's was a chain it would taste the same as it does here in Jersey.
    CANNOT WAIT!!! It looks like I'll have a great time based on these suggestions. I emailed my girl the thread link so she can choose what we'll do based on your suggestions.
    Will any of you be at the Blazers or Lakers game?
    If she wants to have one night were you guys get dressed up and have a proper sit down meal you really can't beat Antonie's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets85
    Wow really?! I figured sinced Popeye's was a chain it would taste the same as it does here in Jersey.
    CANNOT WAIT!!! It looks like I'll have a great time based on these suggestions. I emailed my girl the thread link so she can choose what we'll do based on your suggestions.
    Will any of you be at the Blazers or Lakers game?

No way man, I've found that our MILD is usually the SPICY in other states (Plus the redbeans have better flavor/spice...I'm hungry now haha)

WIN!

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    Very true. The two worst popeyes in the country are in SF on Market St and in LA on Fig. I go to the one on Fig in LA about once every two weeks and I've never had a great meal there.

The problem is that they leave the chicken out too long, they don't cook the biscuits long enough, and the sides are just awful.
    I think you'd have a better Popeye's experience if you ate at one outside of the ghetto!

Time for some football!!!

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Is Hansen's Snow Blizz still in operation? I remember they would sell snowballs in buckets and garbage can sizes.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    I think you'd have a better Popeye's experience if you ate at one outside of the ghetto!

I guess I should try that sometime.

Brunch at Commander's Palace is awesome and affordable (compared to dinner). Call days in advance. I've never seen customer service like this...ever! Food was amazing...sad when it was gone.

Cafe Du Monde....and absolute MUST!

Palace Cafe was great last time I ate there...White Chocolate Bread Pudding!
    Big ol' Pelicans fan up here in North La

You can actually make a reservation at Commander's online. And yeah, do the lunch and set it up well in advance. Nothing wrong with setting up now, in fact.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    The quality of a Popeyes has nothing to do with it being in NOLA or not, I'm pretty sure(not certain) that there are a handful of Popeyes that still belong to the Copeland' family. Most of these are across South Louisiana.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingman
    Brunch at Commander's Palace is awesome and affordable (compared to dinner). Call days in advance. I've never seen customer service like this...ever! Food was amazing...sad when it was gone.
    Commander's rocks! The first bite of food I ever ate there was the shrimp and tasso with jelly pepper appetizer. Since then I've had so many great dishes and meals there I can't even begin to say. While making a slight career adjustment about 10 years ago, I spent a year working at Commanders running the Patio Room. The Brennans were great to work for...especially Ms. Ella...and the commitment to great food and service was second to none. I was also very fortunate in the fact that when I was there, Jamie Shannon was still healthy and executive chef. Jamie was fresh off of winning the James Beard foundation's "Best Chef, Southeast Region" award. He was unlike any executive chef I've ever known. It's ashamed that cancer took him way too soon. The current excutive chef Tory McPhail is fantastic as well.

This is awesome info thanks guys! I'll definitely be looking up this thread when I head to New Orleans next year!

P.S. Any suggestions on the best time of year to go? I definitely want to schedule it so I can see a Hornet game or two so the summer is out and I'd prefer the coolest weather you guys can offer. Also not sure I want to come during Mardi Gras due to the craziness and higher expense

December or Mardi Gras(Feb. or March).

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    December or Mardi Gras(Feb. or March).
    Thanks man...once next year's Hornet schedule is out I'll be planning my trip.

Don't forget that if you're coming in March, you'll be right in the thick of crawfish season. If you like seafood, you might want to seek out a couple pounds of the critters at KJeans or Deanie's, etc. or you can find any number of bars that have free crawfish nights, though the results of those are often a mixed bag.

If the crawfish in NOLA are anywhere near as spicy as the ones in the Laffy area then I probably wouldn't recommend them to a tourist.

If you do go to a place like Commander's, you'll need slacks and at least a sports coat. Otherwise, if you come cruising in, in your shorts, which is what I'd like to do, you'll look like a turd in a punchbowl.

...we get to go McDonalds
    1. West Coast Hornet...as much as I hate to admit it, I had an incredible snoball near Venice Beach by one of the mobile shaved ice trucks.

2. Metalzo...you should consider going to NOLA for French Quarter Fest. Weather's not too bad, and it's right at the end of Hornet season so you could possibly catch a meaningful game.

3. Cochon has won some awards in the past couple years. They won one of the big travel magazine's 'USA's best restaurant' award. I've eaten there and it's good, especially for the price.

4. Stella and Bayona deserve to be mentioned on this thread as well. You're gonna need Mucho Jannero though.

Dam I want to go to NO, im from NJ just pick me up ima hide in your bag
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Thread Information