Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT, Scott fired, Bower H/C, Floyd new asst...{merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Oh! Captain
    Okafor isn't a right fit for this team

Paying a player with known back problems the prior season,
    What are you talking about? Okafor played 82 games the past two seasons. Meanwhile Chandler has a degenerative foot condition. Go back to your hole seriously you haven't made a single credible post.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Okafor isn't a right fit for this team

Paying a player with known back problems the prior season, A wing player that no one else was willing to sign, and a broken down role player all to fat contracts thus forever crippling this teams salary cap and rendering placing decent role players around the core forever useless. Thats what I call a mess of a team
    did u just say that okafor isnt a right fit for this team? dude why do u even bother posting, yup tyson was a MUCH BETTER fit, we dont need a post up center shot blocker cuz we have so many of those right

people who think firing scott was a bad idea......what was good about keeping him? the team was falling apart. we didnt develop rookies. our rotations were terrible. our defensive scheme froma "defensive minded" coach were terrible (see doubling against spurs ans sun when they drained 3s on us), we lost by over 50 at home in playoffs. he has players go from starter to inactive and from inactive to starter....no in between.

whats to like?

do i think our MGMT in the organization is to blame as well? YES
    do i think bower and floyd will be bad? yes
    do i think we are going to have a terrible season now? yes
    will cp3 be upset this season? yes

but it will all be worth it if we can make some trades, and make some good hires....im excited for the personel moves and next season already

"Get off my proputee!" rob21275's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam the Legend
    I can almost guarantee that this move was not made before they got CP's blessing.
    If so, does this make CP a coach killer like Jason Kidd? At this point, I wholeheartedly approve of "coach"icide.

I still think this will get worse before it gets better (30-35 wins max), and I hope to God Tim Floyd keeps his commentary to xs and os on the sidelines. He's liable to get punched by a player.

Quote Originally Posted by jmaninc68
    i didnt mean to say gm just in the prganization in general but actually bower was gm when west was drafted, he was promoted to gm in summer 2001, and resigned end of 2003, west was drafted in 03
    Alright, my mistake.

But Bower didn't pick CP3 and Bernie Bickerstaff chose Emeka.

i dunno i always heard cp3 liked scott?

i wish someone would get an interview with him see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by metalzo
    What are you talking about? Okafor played 82 games the past two seasons. Meanwhile Chandler has a degenerative foot condition. Go back to your hole seriously you haven't made a single credible post.
    I wasn't referring to Okafor about the back problems. That was inclined to Peja.

Zach Randolph scores and block shots to, maybe we should trade for him.

I really don't see Okafor as a center. He's not a good post defender at all and routinely gets abused by bigger stronger centers

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakerhead
    Alright, my mistake.

But Bower didn't pick CP3 and Bernie Bickerstaff chose Emeka.
    you are correct but to say that bower had no input in those pickups is wrong, thats all i was trying to say

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet

He's going to say the usual stuff a star player who liked the coach says when this happens. "Sorry to see him go he was a great guy and I learned so much from him but I understand the team had to go in a different direction etc. etc."

I cant see Bower being permanent. If he is interim i'm cool with that but not sold on permanent head coach. Bring in Jeff Van Gundy or Avery!

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30
    I cant see Bower being permanent. If he is interim i'm cool with that but not sold on permanent head coach. Bring in Jeff Van Gundy or Avery!
    you know i was thinking van gundy...but figured i would get flamed.

might want too much money..?

Sec. 110 - You know me! Contributor roturn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metalzo
    If you ask me, a little of column A, a little of column B, though more column A than B. Beyond Chris Paul, Okafor, and West (who is declining already and was never good defensively) this team has very little talent. As GerryV and others keep saying, we don't have a single wing who can drive to the basket and create their own shot.

Well you know what they say about opinions right? We will see.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbo
    He turned Magloire into an all star then he fell off the map after. His strength is getting production from undersized big men.
    Magloire grew as a player and learned his trade under Brian Hill...before Floyd took over. Floyd inherited a good situation with Magloire.

As far as the "real basketball minds" go....why is it that the rest of the NBA thinks he's a joke? There is a difference between being a basketball guy and an NBA basketball guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fan
    I'm glad to see Scott go. He had lost the players. Even though the talent is not there, an NBA coach has to find a way to make the players play. (If lack of talent was an excuse, there would be 25 teams laying flat on their backs every night like the Hornets we've seen this year.)

Bower is probably not a bad choice for now. He gets a chance to prove that it was Scott's fault for not using/developing the draft choices and young players he brought in.

Floyd has a great basketball mind. He knows the game and the strategy, but he's not really a leader (to put it lightly). My guess is he was brought in to do that nuts and bolts stuff for the rest of the season. Scott could have used a guy like Floyd, but he was too hard-headed and "old-school" "players coach" to realize that things like strategy -- plays, defenses, late game substitutions -- do have an effect on the outcome.

This looks like a transition team. Bower has the rest of the season to prove the talent is not as bad as it looks. The players need to respond because Bower is also the GM. Floyd is on board to make sure the transition period includes real basketball strategy and not just 15 agents telling their guys to get their shots.

Now they will probably need to trade West (who looks even more disinterested than usual) to get someone to take on some of our rich old man contracts and get some new talent (Rudy Gay) to mix in with CP3 and Okafor.

By the end of the season, it will be time to find the right long term coach. Bower either goes back to the GM role, or hits the road.

Its not a pretty plan, but it wasn't a pretty picture before the moves either.
    Good post. Maybe now that we have a guy like Floyd we can develop our younger talent instead of just letting the ride the bench. I'm pretty sure Bower didn't like to see our draft picks over the last couple seasons just sitting the bench and only getting some burn in garbage time.

I think West is as good as gone and the sooner the better if we are going to deal him for a player that factors into the future of the team. There are a few contending teams that could really use a player like West, but a soft PF is not what we need now.

New FULL ssn ticket holder! Hornet-Saint's Avatar
    Call me crazy, but, uhh... wouldn't this be a good time to give Chad Shinn his first assistant coaching job?

I wasn't referring to Okafor about the back problems. That was inclined to Peja.

Zach Randolph scores and block shots to, maybe we should trade for him.

I really don't see Okafor as a center. He's not a good post defender at all and routinely gets abused by bigger stronger centers
    Agreed Okafor would be better served as a 4. That's why I'm hoping the longterm plan is to deal West at the deadline for a young prospect or two and maybe a pick. Then you either put the young prospect (or a lottery pick) as your starting 5 with Okafor at the 4.

Charter Member
    A very necessary first step was taken today, and I am quite happy about it.
    telling it like it is -- akshun

Quote Originally Posted by jmaninc68
    you are correct but to say that bower had no input in those pickups is wrong, thats all i was trying to say

Point taken.

Passion. Purpose. Pride.    Contributor   
    This is just the first domino...

"Get off my proputee!" rob21275's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet

He's not going to publicly throw him under the bus (see Tyson Chandler), but CP can separate friendship and winning. And when it comes down to the game -- and I think we all agree with him --, winning is all that matters on the business end/basketball court.

Now...whether this move actually makes a difference in the W-L record -- only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchexnaydre
    This is just the first domino...
    agree

Hall of Famer Contributor
    Wow.

I figured Scott would go, but not so early in the season.

Also, Bower & Floyd disappoint me, as I'm sure it does everyone else. It's almost like we're mailing in the season, less than ten games in.

Assuming this is only a temporary fix and that we'll clean house next season. A good thing in the long run but man, it looks like this season is already over for us.

Bono

We don't need to go out and dismantle our whole team. We need a coach who is going to light a fire under these guys and make them want to play. We have ZERO engergy this season. Jeff Van Gundy doesn't take crap from players. He doesn't care if youre michael jordan, if you aren't going hard, you aren't playing. This team needs a harsh wake-up call from a stern coach.

i know bower the head coach but does any1 think floyd will take his spot?

Thread Information