Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT, Scott fired, Bower H/C, Floyd new asst...{merged}

Here's a link to the salaries and length.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans.htm

I don't put much stock in the lack of an "interim" label. No NBA coach lasts forever. So they are all interim. Why cut the guys clout unnecessarily by adding the label? There will be more coaches to pick from in the off-season, so they want to wait and do the search then. Right now, the players have to take him seriously. He is the coach, and still the GM. If they label him "interim" it sends a signal he's not even going to stay as GM.

I think it was the right move, but I'm still suprised they made it.

Obviously, Bower as a HC is an unknown commodity and, as has been said, the move does resemble other "You broke it, you fix it" situations. In my opinion, however, there's no reason to feel particularly strong one way or the other right this second.

If the ship is still sinking with Jeff Bower at the helm, then, by all means, say whatever you will about the Org. But for now, why not grant yourself a bit of hope? David West basically inferred at the press conference that Scott had run his course here. There's no way to know how the team will change/react on the court following this move.

Of course, if this ends up being the straw that broke Chris Paul's back, then scratch everything I just said. This could be the worst day in franchise history. I really don't think Chris is that type of person, though, and I would be suprised if he had that sort of reaction.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Floyd is not respected in the NBA.
    But that doesn't mean he can't coach. All it takes is for a superstar like CP3 to believe in what Floyd is doing and you never know if things can't improve. Life is a funny animal. Now, will he be the head coach? Probably not, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. That's only how he's perceived. He didn't do a bad job in '03-04, he just had guys who were in love with his predecessor (Silas) and Tim ended up paying for it.
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Can't we just put CP3 as coach?
    Seems like best option.
    Just have Bower and Floyd manage all the little things.

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    Why would the next move be relocation? There was actually a time before Chris Paul, people...Not that many of you were fans back then.
    I'd just like to go on record and say - being a native of Charlotte, I have been a Hornets fan since their first game

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    I'm looking at the big picture. This move makes us look like the dumbest basketball operations organization in the league. What respected coach/gm would want to be part of this circus?
    Harvey, looks aren't everything. It's just perception. What coach/GM would want to be part of this perceived circus? I can name that tune in two notes: CHRIS PAUL!!!

Floyd was a great move. Trust me, it will pay off handsomely

Jeff Bower will be on WWL radio at 4:10 if anyone wants to hear what he has to say.

lol@ the visual of jeff 'turtle power' bower on the sidelines as the hornets head coach

Quote from an article on NBA.com

"How will Bower fare as head coach? I'd be worried if he was rolling with the same assistants as Byron, but having Tim Floyd at his side alleviates some concern. Floyd was fired in 2004 after one season as head coach of the Hornets, but the issue back then was that he couldn't control the egos on the roster, most notably Baron Davis. Now the Hornets have a team full of high-character guys that are craving some solid direction at both ends of the floor, and Floyd should be able to help immediately with that. He's more likely to draw up an effective play or call for a timely adjustment during a timeout, which will be a nice change from Byron telling the players that they just need to try harder and box out more."

Interesting..

This is a terrible move. Our problem is personel. Unless we can bring someone in better, firing him 9 games in is rediculous

Hall of Famer Contributor
    If Bower isn't the head coach by next November it will be Tim Floyd. Bower has already stated that a search will not be conducted.
    Assuming Bower himself is still with us to make that decision......

Why would the next move be relocation? There was actually a time before Chris Paul, people...Not that many of you were fans back then.
    Because we basically had one foot in the grave in N.O. before 07-08. How many do you think will stay on the bandwagon if he leaves? We are treading water as it stands now!

I hope you are not implying that I am not a long term fan of the NO Hornets.......I do not feel the need to have to justify this based on realistic beliefs on where this franchise is headed.

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy
    Quote from an article on NBA.com

"How will Bower fare as head coach? I'd be worried if he was rolling with the same assistants as Byron, but having Tim Floyd at his side alleviates some concern. Floyd was fired in 2004 after one season as head coach of the Hornets, but the issue back then was that he couldn't control the egos on the roster, most notably Baron Davis. Now the Hornets have a team full of high-character guys that are craving some solid direction at both ends of the floor, and Floyd should be able to help immediately with that. He's more likely to draw up an effective play or call for a timely adjustment during a timeout, which will be a nice change from Byron telling the players that they just need to try harder and box out more."

COMPLETELY AGREE

The Swagger
    Does anyone know if Byron has said anything?

Quote Originally Posted by BhamHornet
    Can't we just put CP3 as coach?
    Seems like best option.
    Just have Bower and Floyd manage all the little things.
    Hey, Lenny Wilkens did it back in the day.

Didn't he end up winning a couple of games? haha

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Why is Bower the HC? Theories abound:

1. You broke it, you fix it.

2. Shinn had no HC to bring in right now for the long-term fix, and he felt he had to get rid of Scott now.

3. Shinn didn't want to pay anymore $$ for a HC this year; that money is tied up in Byron.

4. Shinn wanted to buy himself some time to find a suitable long-term replacement in the off-season.

So which is it? Is it a combination of that? All I know is that if Bower and Floyd are still here next season, we are in deep doo doo unless the team had a miraculous turnaround this season, which I do not see.

Time for some football!!!

Lets be honest?

Who really thinks Bower and Floyd will turn this thing around?

personally i just don't see how a guy with NO head coaching experience will turn this team around?
    i hope i am wrong but if scott truly "lost" the team? what makes bower think he won't do the same?

This all just seems like a knee-jerk reaction to our blowout last night with no real plan of action after the firing.

i am VERY bummed out by this whole thing.
    Like i said i hope that we DO turn it around my heart says we can but my head tells me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet
    Lets be honest?

I honestly think it is a step in the right direction. We made SIGNIFICANT improvements today.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    cbssports video analysis on todays move with ken berger:

http://www.cbssports.com/video/playe...NVdQgCxetEuAtc

Lets be honest?

personally i just don't see how a guy with NO head coaching experience will turn this team around?
    i hope i am wrong but if scott truly "lost" the team? what makes bower think he won't do the same?

This all just seems like a knee-jerk reaction to our blowout last night with no real plan of action after the firing.

Like i said i hope that we DO turn it around my heart says we can but my head tells me otherwise.
    I don't think it is a knee-jerk from last night. In the team's 6 losses, they have looked like crap in every one of them. This trainwreck started last season and continued into this season.

Also, if Scott lost the team, I don't think they'll respond to Bower. I doubt the important people on the team have faith in Bower just as the GM, and they are probably laughing that he is the HC now.

That's just my feeling. We'll see.

Hall of Famer Contributor
    Lets be honest?

I don't think Floyd & Bower will turn it around, but I don't think it's a permanent fix either. This team was going nowhere this season, this just confirms it. All about building towards the future- 2004 all over again.

All-Star Contributor

I think it is a reaction to our last 35 games, not just last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman
    I don't think Floyd & Bower will turn it around, but I don't think it's a permanent fix either. This team was going nowhere this season, this just confirms it. All about building towards the future- 2004 all over again.
    I agree. If it were a permanent fix, it almost assuredly would have disaster written all over it.

Thread Information