Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT, Scott fired, Bower H/C, Floyd new asst...{merged}

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar

Breaking News MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT, Scott fired, Bower H/C, Floyd new asst...{merged}

WHAT: Hornets Major Announcement

WHO: Hornets President Hugh Weber, General Manager Jeff Bower, Hornets Executive VP of Basketball Chad Shinn

WHEN: Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 1:00 p.m.

WHERE: Alario Center

The Hornets will hold media availability with President Hugh Weber, General Manager Jeff Bower and Executive VP of Basketball Chad Shinn today at the Alario Center regarding a major announcement.

--------------------------------
    edited by say-what @ 1:19pm to add the official announcement confirming the news we previously broke:

November 12, 2009
    NEW ORLEANS - The New Orleans Hornets announced today that they have relieved Byron Scott of head coaching duties. Scott will be replaced by General Manager Jeff Bower.

“I want to thank Byron for the hard work he has put in during his time with the Hornets,” said Hornets Owner George Shinn. “I’ve hired Jeff Bower to take over the coaching reign. He knows this team better than anyone, has the respect of the players and in basketball circles, is regarded as one of the best basketball minds in the business. This is our best opportunity to reach our goals this season.”

Bower, who has spent his 14-plus seasons with the club, has been an invaluable asset for the Hornets at all levels in basketball operations. He began his tenure with the Hornets as an advance scout from 1995 to 1997 before earning a promotion as the team’s director of scouting. In addition to his scouting duties during the 1998-99 season, Bower joined the coaching ranks as an assistant after Paul Silas was named interim head coach on March 7, 1999 (and helped him lead the Hornets to a 22-13 record). After serving as the assistant general manager for the 2000-01 season, Bower was promoted to general manager in June of 2001 and has since held that position. He returned to the bench as an assistant coach under Floyd in 2003-04. Bower’s years of experience working at all levels in the Hornets’ basketball operations department culminated with his appointment to the current post of general manager just prior to the start of the team’s 2005-06 training camp.

“Accountability was our theme this past summer,” said Hornets Vice President of Basketball Chad Shinn. “We talked about the fact that everyone on our staff is held to a certain standard of performance and we didn’t feel this was happening at the head coach level. We feel like we still have an opportunity with our nucleus to get to where we want and Jeff is the right guy, right now to move us in that direction from the bench.”

“As we look at our long-term coaching plans, it’s not about who the head coach is, it’s about the role of the head coach to get the team to perform to their capabilities and reaching our potential this season,” said Bower.

Prior to joining the Hornets, Bower enjoyed an impressive career at the collegiate level. He spent three years as an assistant coach at Penn State University from 1983-86 before moving to Marist College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. After first serving as an assistant coach from 1986 through 1990, he was promoted to associate head coach, a position he held for five years. Bower helped lead the Red Foxes to an NCAA Tournament appearance in 1987 after winning the Northeast Conference.

In a related move, Tim Floyd has been hired as the top assistant coach.

Floyd served as head coach of the Hornets for the 2003-04 season, leading the team to a 41-41 record. Most recently, Floyd served as the head coach at USC from 2005-2009, leading the Trojans to a 85-49 mark and three NCAA appearances during his tenure. In the 2007 NCAA Tournament, Floyd led USC to a Sweet 16 appearance. The team’s 25-12 record that season set a record for most wins in school history. The Trojans advanced to the second round of the 2009 NCAA Tournament before falling to eventual runner-up Michigan State. Floyd also coached for the Chicago Bulls, Iowa State, the University of Idaho and Texas-El Paso. Floyd is a native of Hattiesburg, Miss., and a 1977 graduate of Louisiana Tech.

Byron's out? Hilton's traded? West and Posey dealt for Bosh? JVG was not broadcasting the game last night because he was studying our team to take over before Friday's game?

i'm on pins and needles.

Not sure what to make of this. Something to do with the front office, maybe?

Hmmmmm...

Any clue what this could be about, or are you just not at liberty to say?

Scott fired?

Scott steps down?

Shinn takes leave?

Hilton, Posey, MoPete, DWest traded?

All of these options would be great...

Sec. 110 - You know me! Contributor roturn's Avatar
    Shinn takes leave.

Wait Shinn is leaving? or did you guess?

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    Well this surely will be interesting.

My guess is Shinn taking leave with his sicknessriight now. It would be great for a coaching change but I doubt that would happen since Scott is not attending.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxidriver
    Wait Shinn is leaving? or did you guess?

Educated guess as a result of the impression I got after speaking with my rep a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by roturn
    Shinn takes leave.
    I have a feeling you're right.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Byron gone. Bower new coach. You won't believe who assistant will be.

Quote Originally Posted by roturn
    Educated guess as a result of the impression I got after speaking with my rep a few days ago.
    Yeah, I was thinking that might be it. Oh well, I was hoping for a more significant change.

Jeff Bower's going to coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    I'm not necessarily opposed to this.

Damn you HH, I was trying to create a smoke screen... so I suppose you guessed it, one of the new assistants begins with "ro" and ends with "turn".

No need to listen to the presser folks, we have a winner.

The Franchise    Contributor   

HH are you kidding? sarcasm is tough to tell in print without the little smiley faces...

New assistant coach: Jammal Mashburn!

Byron Scott is out, Avery Johnson is in.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Well now...that was actually unexpected.

Lafayett(school), Pineville (temporary), New Orleans(home sweet home)

Breaking News Byron Scott FIRED!!!

Per ESPN.

Wow.

Let's get that BUZZ goin again

Great..might as well restart with a new coach!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Did you REALLY think you'd be the first to drop this story?

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    who will the blame be put on now?

Thread Information