Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT, Scott fired, Bower H/C, Floyd new asst...{merged}

Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    This season was written off when Scott entered it as a lame duck. It could only get worse from there and did.
    Sure but Shinn was repeatedly making statements about how he thought this was the best team the Hornets ever had and he fully expected that they would compete for a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Fartman
    all the drama queens, Jesus. Let the guy play one game and we'll see how this pans out. Maybe Bower isn't such a bad idea. Face it, if the guy makes it bad then next season we will have both new GM and HC... And Floyd was a great college coach who now might be a lot more mature than he was in his first nba span, this can work but nothing is written in stone at this point.
    Not being a drama queen...i personally have always thought bower should go BEFORE b scott goes.... now he's the coach.

Now, it's time to hire JVG and trade West, Posey, and Mo Pete.

I plan on being in the arena on Friday.

Wow I'm really excited for the Portland game now. We're gonna probably get blown out but I really want to see the new rotations. Light has just been added at the end of the Hornet tunnel from my perspective at least

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB
    I plan on being in the arena on Friday.
    yea i was just wondering how this will effect attendance?
    maybe not at all? only time will tell.

How can you assign someone the head coaching job when its his fault that he's put together this mess of a team in the first place. If anyone should have been fired, it should be Bower, not Scott

This screams of Isiah level of inadequacies and this team may end up being the laughing stock of the league next to the Knicks

whoa. i didn't expect this to happen so soon into the season.
    asdfghjkl;'

Quote Originally Posted by metalzo
    Wow I'm really excited for the Portland game now. We're gonna probably get blown out but I really want to see the new rotations. Light has just been added at the end of the Hornet tunnel from my perspective at least
    That's what I was trying to say...the on the court effect with the new rotations and coaching strategies...I'm FREAKIN' PUMPED ABOUT IT!!! I want to see some FIYA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet
    Gerry V where yat?
    a swanky hotel somewhere, in a deep depression

Quote Originally Posted by Fartman
    all the drama queens, Jesus. Let the guy play one game and we'll see how this pans out. Maybe Bower isn't such a bad idea. Face it, if the guy makes it bad then next season we will have both new GM and HC... And Floyd was a great college coach who now might be a lot more mature than he was in his first nba span, this can work but nothing is written in stone at this point.

He has been offerd several assistant jobs in the past, including with the Spurs. He turned them down because he wanted to be free to take another head coaching job. He knows at his age and the Mayo thing he won't get that chance again. He is willing to go that route now and I'm glad we got him in that role.

I wonder what CP and DX think of this.

Quote Originally Posted by redzero
    Now, it's time to hire JVG and trade West, Posey, and Mo Pete.
    Are you serious?

You want Jeff "Slow the game down to a snails pace while plodding up and down the floor" Van Gundy to run this team?

I rather have Mike Dumbleavy coaching this team than Van Gundy

Quote Originally Posted by tbo
    He has been offerd several assistant jobs in the past, including with the Spurs. He turned them down because he wanted to be free to take another head coaching job. He knows at his age and the Mayo thing he won't get that chance again. He is willing to go that route now and I'm glad we got him in that role.
    I agree. I think he could really help us as assistant from an x's and o's standpoint.
    the Legend has spoken!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh! Captain
    How can you assign someone the head coaching job when its his fault that he's put together this mess of a team in the first place. If anyone should have been fired, it should be Bower, not Scott

This screams of Isiah level of inadequacies and this team may end up being the laughing stock of the league next to the Knicks
    cp3, dwest, okafor, is a mess of a team???? who was the gm when these guys were drafted may i ask? this is why you are a rookie. horrible post

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakerhead
    I wonder what CP and DX think of this.
    I can almost guarantee that this move was not made before they got CP's blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh! Captain
    Are you serious?

You want Jeff "Slow the game down to a snails pace while plodding up and down the floor" Van Gundy to run this team?

I rather have Mike Dumbleavy coaching this team than Van Gundy
    Troll Troll Go Away...Come again another day (or don't)

Seriously though while I would love to have JVG, he's not coming to New Orleans. He's perfectly happy with his cushy broadcast job. Also he'd be even more costly than Scott and I want them to save money with a cheap young coach and use the savings on SCOUTING.

Quote Originally Posted by jmaninc68
    cp3, dwest, okafor, is a mess of a team???? who was the gm when these guys were drafted may i ask? this is why you are a rookie. horrible post
    Allan Bristow was.

Sec. 110 - You know me! Contributor roturn's Avatar
    This move will shed more light on the debate...whose fault is it. Scott has shown an inability to grwo and evolve as a coach. He was making the same mistakes last night that he was making last year, the year before that and in NJ. Bower put this team together, so the question remains" is it the players or the coaching?"

2.5 left. CP3.....BOTTOM!!!
    With how the Hornets have been playing, they can't get any worse
    I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
    -Mitch Hedberg(R.I.P.)

"Still here dancing with the Googrux King, we'll be drinking Big Whiskey while we dance and sing..."
    -R.I.P. LeRoi Moore(1961-2008)

I'm glad to see Scott go. He had lost the players. Even though the talent is not there, an NBA coach has to find a way to make the players play. (If lack of talent was an excuse, there would be 25 teams laying flat on their backs every night like the Hornets we've seen this year.)

Bower is probably not a bad choice for now. He gets a chance to prove that it was Scott's fault for not using/developing the draft choices and young players he brought in.

Floyd has a great basketball mind. He knows the game and the strategy, but he's not really a leader (to put it lightly). My guess is he was brought in to do that nuts and bolts stuff for the rest of the season. Scott could have used a guy like Floyd, but he was too hard-headed and "old-school" "players coach" to realize that things like strategy -- plays, defenses, late game substitutions -- do have an effect on the outcome.

This looks like a transition team. Bower has the rest of the season to prove the talent is not as bad as it looks. The players need to respond because Bower is also the GM. Floyd is on board to make sure the transition period includes real basketball strategy and not just 15 agents telling their guys to get their shots.

Now they will probably need to trade West (who looks even more disinterested than usual) to get someone to take on some of our rich old man contracts and get some new talent (Rudy Gay) to mix in with CP3 and Okafor.

By the end of the season, it will be time to find the right long term coach. Bower either goes back to the GM role, or hits the road.

Its not a pretty plan, but it wasn't a pretty picture before the moves either.

Quote Originally Posted by roturn
    so the question remains" is it the players or the coaching?"
    If you ask me, a little of column A, a little of column B, though more column A than B. Beyond Chris Paul, Okafor, and West (who is declining already and was never good defensively) this team has very little talent. As GerryV and others keep saying, we don't have a single wing who can drive to the basket and create their own shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jmaninc68
    Okafor isn't a right fit for this team

Paying a player with known back problems the prior season, A wing player that no one else was willing to sign, and a broken down role player all to fat contracts thus forever crippling this teams salary cap and rendering placing decent role players around the core forever useless. Thats what I call a mess of a team

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakerhead
    Allan Bristow was.
    i didnt mean to say gm just in the prganization in general but actually bower was gm when west was drafted, he was promoted to gm in summer 2001, and resigned end of 2003, west was drafted in 03

Basketball Guru Contributor
    Wow....can't say that I'm shocked about Scott...I am shocked about Tim Floyd...don't know what to make of that!!!

Thread Information