Pelicans Report

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT, Scott fired, Bower H/C, Floyd new asst...{merged}

The Franchise
    As I posted during one of our last games this team looked lost on the court. That in my opinion comes from poor coaching. I'm not saying Bowers/Floyd are the answer only that a change was needed. It was obvious this team was not buying Scott's coaching philosphy anymore. IMO

i think scott knew something last night. if you watched the game, you saw he not once got up off the bench. he just sat there in a daze.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Trust me, this move wasn't an overnight thing. Not when Tim Floyd was already lined up to be the assistant coach. Who knows how long they've been planning this. I just wish they would've done it this offseason. Da well. The T'Wolves got their act together and played better ball when there was mid-season turnover.

Who knows what'll happen.

Though it'll probably be us losing some more.

our biggest problem has been defense. i never liked scott's defense where he would double in the paint, and leave the perimeter open. we didn't have the athletes to play a defense like that, they were too slow on the rotations, it always pissed me off that he never realized that. if floyd and bower can change that, this team will improve.

Haha sucks for Scott, but Bower at HC should be funny!!
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

I'm very pleased with the moves that the Hornets made today.

Me too, I wish Scott good luck tho.

Quote Originally Posted by tbo
    Tim Floyd is a great coach andwill do a great job of coaching the post men and game planning. This will be a great role for him. He turned Magloire into an all star then he fell off the map after. His strength is getting production from undersized big men. He lso drwas up the best last second plays and out of bounds. Real basketball people understand how good he is. This will be the first time we will have some real baketball minds coaching since Scott came.
    This. While he may not have meshed well with NBA players in the past, he's a damn good X's and O's guy. He will be an upgrade to anything we currently have on the staff from a pure basketball point of view. I welcome him back to the team.

So the staff is the same with the addition of Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by YunDiesel
    i think scott knew something last night. if you watched the game, you saw he not once got up off the bench. he just sat there in a daze.
    I would be willing to bet that the actual decision came either right after or the day after losing to the Raptors like we did. It took probably until Tuesday to finalize what was exactly going to happen in replacing him and then they just let Byron finish the road trip. To me Scott's arrogance and him never putting a loss directly on himself showed me why the last 2 years have been a downfall. He probably had thoughts he would get axed at some point but it probably didn't bother him and won't after today.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanfreak23
    So the staff is the same with the addition of Floyd?
    I'd be very surprised if at least one assistant coach isn't let go. Since we already have Werdann, Pressey, Parker, and Pack that would make 5 assistant coaches and I've never heard of an NBA team carrying that many. I'm hoping they let go of Pressey and Parker. Pack and Werdann are relatively new and I think they need the chance to prove themselves. So you would have Floyd as the lead assistant with Werdann and Pack behind him all working on player development. Then, hopefully next season with Bower gone you bring in a young assistant coach from elsewhere who has been waiting for his chance to prove himself and Floyd as the "wise man" sitting next to him helping to draw up plays.

Quote from Ken Berger (CBS):

"This is what the Hornets have become -- a pathetic, homespun, bacterial stew of nepotism and finger-pointing."

Can't say I disagree.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HK-47
    Quote from Ken Berger (CBS):

"This is what the Hornets have become -- a pathetic, homespun, bacterial stew of nepotism and finger-pointing."

Can't say I disagree.
    That's over the top.

Time for some football!!!

Can't wait to hear Gerry V's spin job on the Floyd hiring. The Hornets are never wrong...will he change his tune now? LMAO. This should be good.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    I think the firing is good. The replacements are questionable, but have you read Weber's quote on it? But Weber also said: "I told Jeff the genie is out of the bottle. Nobody can say he didn't have the right players. ... Jeff has hand-selected this team and we like the idea that now Jeff will be held accountable for the results."

Hold Bower accountable and when the ship does not sail, can him too. It's a big cleanup job that can't be completed in days or weeks. It's going to take awihle given our contract situation.

It was

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    I think the firing is good. The replacements are questionable, but have you read Weber's quote on it? But Weber also said: "I told Jeff the genie is out of the bottle. Nobody can say he didn't have the right players. ... Jeff has hand-selected this team and we like the idea that now Jeff will be held accountable for the results."

Hold Bower accountable and when the ship does not sail, can him too. It's a big cleanup job that can't be completed in days or weeks. It's going to take awihle given our contract situation.
    Exactly I couldn't agree more. If you ask me, Bower is the head coach right now not because Shinn is being cheap but because this is the surest way to hold him accountable for the team he has built. I fully expect his departure at the end of the season.

If the Saints could do it Contributor Joe Horn(ets)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ULsaint
    Can't wait to hear Gerry V's spin job on the Floyd hiring. The Hornets are never wrong...will he change his tune now? LMAO. This should be good.
    LOL, I remember the V Man and Floyd got into it on his show a few weeks after Floyd was fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn(ets)
    LOL, I remember the V Man and Floyd got into it on his show a few weeks after Floyd was fired.
    Because V sold him down the river and revealed information that was shared in confidence. Can't wait until he trashes Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    Why is Bower the HC? Theories abound:

1. You broke it, you fix it.

2. Shinn had no HC to bring in right now for the long-term fix, and he felt he had to get rid of Scott now.

3. Shinn didn't want to pay anymore $$ for a HC this year; that money is tied up in Byron.

4. Shinn wanted to buy himself some time to find a suitable long-term replacement in the off-season.

So which is it? Is it a combination of that? All I know is that if Bower and Floyd are still here next season, we are in deep doo doo unless the team had a miraculous turnaround this season, which I do not see.
    All the above

Rookie
    I am glad the move was made. I may be wrong but my gut tells me any change would be good for this team at this time. Last night Byron looked lost and there is not a coach in the league that would have left Devin Brown in the game especially after he had the ball stolen when he stumbled on himself trying to bring the ball up at midcourt. So far this season this team has had no fire and something had to give. I do wish Byron good luck.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    If Bower isn't the head coach by next November it will be Tim Floyd. Bower has already stated that a search will not be conducted.
    Nah, won't happen. They are both sacrificial lambs. Neither will be here after this season. It's a throw away....someone has to man the ship. Bower helped build this mess, the organization is going to let him ride it into the ground....he's the new scapegoat. Floyd was cheap....doing nothing except hopping around the North shore. His reputation preceeds him.......I thought it was a joke when I heard he would be Bower's assistant...thats why I hesitated to post it when I started this thread....I honestly thought it was a joke. And it was/is....but not the way I thought it was.

The Hornets needs to get through this season.....they still have to pay Scott....they have luxury tax payroll situations to deal with.....this (the replacements) is financially motivated. While the Hornets would have you believe they think we have a good team and that these two can turn it around....I see that as a company line....damage control.......they just need to get this season behind them with as little damage to the fan base as possible. Until some money clears off the books they'll put band aids on shotgun wounds. Next year they'll start over....new front office, coach, etc....it can't be any other way.

As for Chris, he'll say the right things....and he'll play hard. He's a real pro. But I expect him to desire a trade.....and at the very least.....I can see him bolting for the door the second his contract expires. They would have to pull off a huge front office/coach hire to have any chance. If it's the Bower and Timmy show for any more than 70 something games., Chris heads for the hills ASAP.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Do you think it's at all possible that they bring back Bristow in some fashion?
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    Do you think it's at all possible that they bring back Bristow in some fashion?
    I hope not. It's time to put our past BEHIND us. Out with the old, in with the new. It's time for the organization to stop using a barometer that compares Bristow to Bower....Scott to Floyd...etc. It's time to use a barometer that compares our basketball operations to other successful basketball operations. We need a big time NBA man to come in here and right this ship on the basketball operations side. Does that mean a GM/HC combo? A new GM who brings along his own coach? I don't know how to build the model, but the centerpiece needs to be a strong, respected and successful NBA man. Thats not Bristow or anyone currently in place in basketball operations.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Oh, I didn't mean strictly GM, but in some fashion. I agree though, I'd like to see a big named outsider brought in. That could be tough after today's events though.

Thread Information