Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Chandler for Okafor deal in works {Update - Official 7/28} {mega-merged}

The Bobcats lost some $18M last year. I can see why they want to dump salary long term. It doesn't very little for them the next two years. I have a feeling Devin Brown may be added to even things out a little more.

If this goes down, I don't want to hear anyone complaining about Bower ANYMORE! This is grand larceny!

Emeka scored 28 points and had 9 rebounds in a game against the Clippers last year. All things being equal, can you imagine TC scoring 28 points under ANY circumstances AT ALL??????

Hornets need more strength underneath on both ends. This would be unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA Champs
    Don't be so pessimistic..there could be more changes made from now till the All-Star break...not including this deal being DONE!!!!! Wooohoooooo!
    Don't get me wrong, I really like this deal if it goes through. But, it's not going to suddenly elevate us to title contenders. Now, if Julian Wright can step up, along with elevated bench play led by the rooks, then we could have a nice little squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
    I thought the whole reasoning for wanting to trade Chandler was for salary relief. The Hornets are way over the luxury tax and Chandler is injury prone so there was the main reasoning for wanting to dump him.
    You've repeated this sentiment all offseason and argued with everyone who would disagree with you about it. When will you concede the fact that the Hornets are not trying to dump salary. They want to improve and Chandler was no longer part of those plans after the many faults of last season.

Oh trust me...Okafor is a great guy! He's definitely one of the many NBA players that give back to the community

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    I'm hoping that he is just healthy.
    2007-2008 G 82 GP 82
    2008-2009 G 82 GS 81

We're good..he's turned into War-Machine!

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    i heard bobby hebert (i know this isnt a great source) on the radio today saying the hornets are still talking to Big Baby, what do yall think this trade means in terms to our interest in him or maybe Hakeem Warrick?

Chandler can dunk better.

Before everyone gets carried away, check out Okafor's Roland Rating compared to Tyson's.

Okafor - +3.5
    Chandler - +2.1

82.games.com

Now keep in mind, the highest on Charlotte's entire team is only 6 for Wallace while Paul had something insane like 17.

In 2007-2008, before being injured Chandler was a 3.1 and Okafor was a 0.

It's not nearly as one-sided as it appears.

The reason it's a good deal is not that the talent is so much different, it's that you either way you are paying one of these guys big money and the Hornets think Chandler is tainted goods, then go with the guy that still has a little more upside because he's never played on a winner with a great PG.

Good trade. If Okafor gets half the bump that Chandler did by playing with Paul, this will be a fantastic deal. If both were totally healthy, it's very debatable over who is better imo.

Drop me off in New Orleans CapitolHornet45's Avatar
    Bingo. The fact that he's played all 82 games the past two seasons is as important to me as anything else. Whether it's been BD, Mashburn, Tyson, Peja, etc., our high-salary guys ALWAYS seem to end up sidelined. Having a bigtime contributor who can also stay healthy would be golden.

2.5 left. CP3.....BOTTOM!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    You've repeated this sentiment all offseason and argued with everyone who would disagree with you about it. When will you concede the fact that the Hornets are not trying to dump salary. They want to improve and Chandler was no longer part of those plans after the many faults of last season.
    Boo-yah! Shinn said we wouldn't make any trades that would hurt the team to shed payroll. Some people just like to talk and not listen(or in this instance, read)
    I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
    -Mitch Hedberg(R.I.P.)

"Still here dancing with the Googrux King, we'll be drinking Big Whiskey while we dance and sing..."
    -R.I.P. LeRoi Moore(1961-2008)

I think you must have me mistaken for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481
    i heard bobby hebert (i know this isnt a great source) on the radio today saying the hornets are still talking to Big Baby, what do yall think this trade means in terms to our interest in him or maybe Hakeem Warrick?
    If the Hornets can still somehow get Big Baby, this will be a great off season. I say this is as a huge critic and hater of Shinn/Scott.

But I will give credit where it's due.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    the hornets don't need big baby or to overpay for him. a high reward value contract would help just as much.

Past 2 seasons, full 82 games. I suppose that's one of the key points when the front office was discussing the pros and cons of the deal.

2.5 left. CP3.....BOTTOM!!!
    Didn't you say that you wouldn't be surprised if we traded paul b/c of our cheap owner? I remember you saying that you would rather start a team with carmelo than paul as well

I may. And if I do, I apologize. To be honest, it can be taken as a general statement to the other 50% of the board who insist on listening to the talking heads of ESPN instead of believing the ownership and management when they say that they will make moves to get better.

To be fair though, I'd rather believe ESPN than Bower or Shinn

Quote Originally Posted by ULsaint
    If the Hornets can still somehow get Big Baby, this will be a great off season. I say this is as a huge critic and hater of Shinn/Scott.

But I will give credit where it's due.
    While our frontcourt would be pretty undersized, I think our team would have quality depth for the first time in a while. That would be great, and something that Scott and Co. have repeated over and over as their main mission this offseason.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geaux hornets
    the hornets don't need big baby or to overpay for him. a high reward value contract would help just as much.
    Trading for Okafor also means we can sign a smaller big in free agency, not someone like a Mikki Moore who can play PF/C.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

To be fair though, I'd rather believe ESPN than Bower or Shinn
    And again, you'd be wrong. They said that they would keep the pick, even though ESPN speculated that they'd trade the pick. Bower was right, and ESPN was wrong. Not only that, we traded for another pick for Thornton. They don't have any "in's" with the Hornets. Hell, the local guys barely do. They always speculate because they don't know and can't find out. Again, egg on their face.

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    Trading for Okafor also means we can sign a smaller big in free agency, not someone like a Mikki Moore who can play PF/C.
    I would love to get Warrick and Joe Smith with the MLE/Bi-Annual.

Passion. Purpose. Pride.    Contributor   
    I'm still a little undecided but I think I like it.

Chandler's foot is garbage. It's a chronic condition. They'd have to pay him for the next two years and probably wouldn't get much production in return. With Okafor, they take on more money over more years, but they get a guy who will likely be more productive. They're going to get plenty of cap space in two years when Peja, Mo Pete, etc. are gone so I guess they figure try to unload Chandler and get quality back for him now. The only issue I have is that I know Okafor struggled with injuries once upon a time.

All in all, it definitely makes the Hornets better in the short term. We'll see what it does over the long term...

Passion. Purpose. Pride.    Contributor   
    I would love to get Warrick and Joe Smith with the MLE/Bi-Annual.
    If we add Warrick on top of this I'll do a backflip...

Thread Information