Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Chandler for Okafor deal in works {Update - Official 7/28} {mega-merged}

Okafor and Mohammid for Chandler and Peterson (pardon the typing and spelling).

It looks like hey coulld use a guard and Mohammid would fill out our front line with some depth.

Okafor will cost us $1 million less this year and 1.5 million less next year. (compared to Chandler). His contract does run longer, but one would expect that salaries will be going up eventually.

Don't forget the 1 million saved this year is really 2 million and the 1.5 saved next year is really 3 million (luxury tax). We won't get out of that trap until Peja's contract is gone.

We wind up saving money and still have a viable big man.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A

Make it happen Bower!

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Okafor's contract goes up all the way through 2014

2009/2010 10.538mm
    2010/2011 11.540mm
    2011/2012 12.541mm
    2012/2013 13.543mm
    2013/2014 14.544mm
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

NO CHANCE thay trade to us Wallace...

Shhhhhhhhhh... I'm still having fun imagining Gerald Wallace in a Hornets uni.

Long off season Contributor killah's Avatar

Wow, just like that. If these two rookies play well, I would say this was a good offseason.

praise jesus!

This trade makes almost no sense from either perspective.

First of all, Chandler for Okafor straight up is absolute gang rape by the Hornets FO. Okafor is a better player really starting to enter his prime, and he doesn't have the injury concerns that Chandler does.

Second, Charlotte reportedly turned down the #2 pick in the draft for Okafor, which has significantly more value than Tyson.

Third, we have all been under the impression that the Hornets are trying to cut salary for CP's final year in order to get under the lux and get competitive then, not now. If they do this, the Hornets are taking on significant extra salary, while still paying Peja, MoPete, AD, Posey, etc.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan, I would LOVE this deal. It would be great strictly from a team perspective.

But I'm just being pessimistic and betting that another team like OKC is involved, they get Okafor, we get expirings.

Yes, you are being pessimistic, and it's unwarranted. The team has said that they aren't worried about the luxury tax. They want to field a good team. This deal would confirm that and there's nothing out there that would dispute that.

Assuming we snag Okafor, the Hornets are contenders again

Think about the Hornets biggest problems last year, they were mostly due to having no center in there. They were 26th in rebounding, near last in defense of the paint, etc. With Okafor at the five those problems are mostly solved. Not to mention our bench should be MUCH improved over last year.

Collison/Thornton/Peja/Posey/FA Big/Hilton beats last year's bench by miles. The biggest problem off the bench last year was the lack of a distributor, Collison solves that. He'll be able to set up Peja, Posey, etc.

Great, great, offseason assuming this done. I can easily see the Hornets up at the top three in the West. Bower=

Make this happen!

Yes, you are being pessimistic, and it's unwarranted. The team has said that they aren't worried about the luxury tax. They want to field a good team. This deal would confirm that and there's nothing out there that would dispute that.
    I'm being two-faced too, because for weeks I've been arguing on realgm that all this talk about the Hornets wanted to cut salary because they are broke is pure media conjecture and I wouldn't be surprised if they added salary.

This is just what I was thinking when I woke up. Anyone else thinking this too?

Okafor
    DX
    JuJu
    Thornton
    CP3

Good night ladys.

This is a great deal, don't put anything past the Bobcats FO.

We will be entering the golden age of Hornets basketball.

Drop me off in New Orleans CapitolHornet45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by killah
    Wow, just like that. If these two rookies play well, I would say this was a good offseason.
    Ditto to that. Seems crazy that CHA makes this deal. Lets just hope TC passes the physical.

Now lets get Devin Brown and JuJu traded for Wallace.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias
    Now lets get Devin Brown and JuJu traded for Wallace.
    bobcat fans would kidnap mj if that happend. trading away their two best players and not getting full equal value in return.

This would be a huge improvement, I can't figure why Charlotte would do this trade. They could surely do better, but hopefully this goes through.

Okafor doesn't have a great offensive game but his def. is $. He is going to get us over the hump.

It just dawned on me that Okafor is 6'10 and plays a lot of PF.

Hmmmm. He's kind of undersized for a Center and his contract is huge. I know he's a good player but there are detractions from this.

We get Nazr and our bench is

Nazr
    Posey
    Peja
    Thornton
    Collison

How is this not win for us?

6'10 is not a problem. The guy gives you results. You will always get a double double from him. TC gave us injuries and reasons to doubt the fo.

Thread Information