Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Chandler for Okafor deal in works {Update - Official 7/28} {mega-merged}

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I didn't read through the entire thread, so if someone already posted this I apologize. But here is a great glimpse into what we are getting. And I don't think this is being talked about enough. We all know that Chandler's defensive strengths were largely exagerated. Okafor is a great great defender and will really change the look of our interior defense. Check it out:

Okafor video

Edit: Sorry, ok, I did find it in the thread. Well for those others that don't dig through, here it is again.

Oh... and for those that wanted Nazr... the damm Spurs signed him...

Sec. 110 - You know me! Contributor roturn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    I told you guys the OKC deal was contingent on TC's health. I'm telling you this one is done. Whatever you need to believe though.

+1

Please listen to this post...

Thanks Harvey!

Yeah, I talked to someone in the know last night (not with the Hornets, but with the NBA) and they said there's no way the Hornets would make this trade again with health as a condition. There's absolutely something in the deal about Charlotte not being able to waive for health reasons. I'm sure the Bobcats have his rehab reports and all the relevant information. We shouldn't worry about having this deal revoked. Neither side is stupid here. They know how to do their jobs. I'm sure they've done all the research that's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3 & 11 others
    Again, the problem isnt with Okafor's size- it is Okafor's size COMBINED with West's. You just dont see championship frontline's that are 6'8, 6'8, 6'10. Look at all the title teams and elite teams in general.

I dont see West going anywhere soon but to win a title down the line some additional size will have to be added either with a replacement for West at the 4, moving Okafor to 4 or getting some kind of freak 6 11 SF like an Odom or Garnett 5 years ago type. Thats just what history says.

Umm..Celtics FC 2008 was 6-10 and 6'11

Spurs FC in 2007 was 6'11 and 6'10

The Heat had Shaq, but their starting PF was 6-8 in 2006.

Pistons in 2005 FC was 6-10 and 6-11.

So from the past 5 years, only two champions had starters at 7' or better.

Which means listed height doesn't mean a thing. Two inches in heights are that big of deal. Wingspan and ability have a part in the quality of your starting FC.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Harvey or anyone, I would be curious to know.....

Why would a trade that is seemingly a one for one swap take since Friday to complete? Seems like convoluted three team trades have been done in less time. Is it maybe just crazy injury writing in the deal that they are covering their butts about?

Quote Originally Posted by CP3 & 11 others
    Another big will be added, but I think what this offseason is showing is there is no need to rush. There will always be good options available. I really think Marks will be back as a 13th man and we are still trying to move AD for a big rather than sign one and add to our payroll. AD for Battie would be ideal IMO, but again, no need to rush- we will get someone who will battle Hilton for the 15 mins or so a game that will be available at the backup 4/5. From what I hear, the ideal would be:

1.) A big for AD straight up
    2.) Joe Smith at 1 yr/2.5
    3.) A guy willing to take the biannual like Diougu or Warrick

However it looks like Smith might go to Atlanta. And I know Posey for Big Baby is on the table and has been for a while and Ainge might just wake up one day and say "Alright, lets do this" As this trade shows- you never know.

Remember, they have to October and are gonna move at their own pace- not panic.
    I'm sorry. but you need to watch what rumors you start around here. Not sure what you claim you know but you have people believing you have an ear, so you might want to lay off the rumors about Posey being traded until something happens, if it happens at all. Personally I doubt the Hornets want to move Posey.

If you do know something take a lesson from Harvey Hornet and be responsible to your source and the Hornets and let it play out, instead of baosting you know something.

Just my opinion...respectfully

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    I told you guys the OKC deal was contingent on TC's health. I'm telling you this one is done. Whatever you need to believe though.
    Quote Originally Posted by roturn
    +1

Please listen to this post...

Thanks Harvey!
    I concur!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard
    Harvey or anyone, I would be curious to know.....

Why would a trade that is seemingly a one for one swap take since Friday to complete? Seems like convoluted three team trades have been done in less time. Is it maybe just crazy injury writing in the deal that they are covering their butts about?
    The one for one part is completed but they are looking at the possibility of expanding the trade to involve more players. At least that is my understanding of the situation after everything I have read.

And btw here is a pretty recent scouting report on Okafor, from last summer.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Emeka-Okafor-3810/

And I have to say that the best part of it is definately this: Defense: Few players in the League play better post defense than he does. Uses his hands extremely well for a post player, and is the type of player than can change shots and create turnovers. Rebounding ability is exceptional. Gets loose balls outside of his area on a regular basis. A legitimate weak-side shot blocker. The leverage he uses on the defensive end, and the way he moves with his man’s fakes is special.

Well ... I am still excited about it. The Bobcats must be really desperate to shed salary ... good for us. Can't wait to see what Okafor does with Chris Paul as his point guard.

As for Charlotte, I don't get it. This already was a terrible offensive team, ranking 27th in the NBA in offensive efficiency this past season. Chandler is a demonstrably worse offensive player than Okafor, and his one offensive skill -- throwing down dunks off pick-and-rolls -- doesn't seem to mesh terribly well with the Bobcats' personnel.

Bobcats fans will point out that they freed up some cap space for 2011; of course, that space might have been more easily obtained by not signing Okafor to a six-year, $72 million deal a year ago when they were bidding against themselves.

It's hard to believe the Bobcats' front office had that severe a change of heart in just 12 months, especially when Okafor put up a pretty typical season by his standards. This is prime golfing season in northern Illinois, so you know Michael Jordan wasn't pushing for it, and Rod Higgins is too sensible to pull such an overnight 180.

That brings up two other plausible possibilities. The first is that this is a classic Larry Brown grass-is-greener trade. Okafor is a good player but doesn't exude passion for the game, and Brown grumbled about this past season. Chandler certainly is more passionate, and perhaps Brown -- infamous for wanting to trade everybody on the roster -- convinced management to make the swap. (And by "convinced," I mean "whined incessantly about it until management finally agreed to do it just so he'd shut up.")

The other possibility is that it was driven by owner Robert Johnson's need to sell the team. In that case, clearing the $40 million owed on the final three years of Okafor's contract removed a potential liability from his books, possibly making it easier for him to unload the team sooner. If that ends up happening, Bobcats fans might still feel like they won the trade.

Whatever the motivation, it sure as heck doesn't make the Bobcats a better basketball team. There isn't a wide gulf separating these two players, but Okafor has been consistently more productive, particularly at the offensive end. For a team that desperately needs to find more scoring, it was an odd way to try to improve. And for the Hornets, it's a tremendous opportunity to keep pace with the heavy hitters out west.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...handler-090728

Where fairies happen Contributor whoah whoah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTTT
    i think if the price is right they should be willing to trade ju ju. We are in compete now mode and julian is a bit of a project and doesn't seem to fit in scotts system right now.
    Win now mode or compete now mode? Every team wants to compete. But we are not in Win now mode, we are set up to win in a year or two once Kobe gets older and the lakers dismantle, and the celtics big 3 are using walkers.... IMO, it will be Hornets, Cavs, Magic competing for the titles
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3
    you eat so good. you're always gonna eat good. I kid a lot, everything is spicy, the fruit loops even have some kick to em
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James
    We played pretty good defense. We bottled him [Paul] up, but with eyes in the back of his head, he found David West"

Its official!!! JUST GOT THE TEXT FROM THE HORNETS!!!
    Bringing it back to the bottom of the map!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Not sure where this Okafor is a PF stuff is coming from. He's been a C every second he's been in the NBA. Can he move over n play PF? Sure, but he's got the wingspan and standing reach of a 7'1" player. Not to mention how hard he battles on the boards. He's gonna do fine better than fine at center.

Guy from nba.com is puzzled by the move.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/feature...ade/index.html

And how was Chandler so exceptional defensively? The spent the majority of first quarters on the bench with his penchant for picking up two quick fouls.

Long off season Contributor killah's Avatar
    Done deal! What a move by Bower.

25 characters is not enoug Contributor ktulu909's Avatar
    Wow,good move Jeff

Bower's trade of Mike James for more than a bag of chips, and now Chandler for Okafor.....amazing!

Good job Jeff, what a robery !

Passion. Purpose. Pride.    Contributor   
    Great move for the Hornets.

Only cons here are giving up a little height and taking on some extra money a few years down the road, but I don't think that's a huge factor because Pete and Peja will already be off the books.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktock6
    Yeah, I talked to someone in the know last night (not with the Hornets, but with the NBA) and they said there's no way the Hornets would make this trade again with health as a condition. There's absolutely something in the deal about Charlotte not being able to waive for health reasons. I'm sure the Bobcats have his rehab reports and all the relevant information. We shouldn't worry about having this deal revoked. Neither side is stupid here. They know how to do their jobs. I'm sure they've done all the research that's necessary.
    That reinforces my belief that Chandler still has health issues. In fact, we were told not so long ago that these issues could linger into the begining of the season.

I really like TC. I wish him the best. I hope he is able to resurrect his NBA career, but some people believe that won't happen. And I'm sure that is with regret.

Time for some football!!!

Thread Information