Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Chandler for Okafor deal in works {Update - Official 7/28} {mega-merged}

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    They've been talking about this deal for a couple of weeks. CLT took their time deciding how comfortable they were with TC's condition. It's not a secret in the NBA...it was exposed last year. They decided they would take the chance. Deal done.

OK...anyone updating their NBA 2K9 rosters yet??

Quote Originally Posted by rlemieux
    I may be wrong but Stien's is the article everyone can see. Hollinger is the insider article. He basically says he doesn't see why Charlotte is doing the trade, basically makes both financial and basketball sense for New Orleans.

Goes on to talk about them as players, mentions they are both very good defensive players, gives the offensive nod to Okefor but only slightly (as they are both limited offensively). Talks about them only being 4 days apart in age and how Okefor has averaged 66 games per season and Chandler 67 games per season over their career. Talks about Chandlers injuries and mentions Okefors back as well.

Goes on and on about how he can not see Charlotte doing this deal, having a change in heart after giving him a huge contract only 12 months ago. Mentions Browns displeasure with Okefors work ethic or the owners possible sale of the team as the only two factors he can come up with why they are making this deal.
    Updated: July 28, 2009, 1:16 AM ET
    Sources: Hornets, Cats agree on deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4359609

-

I am excited about the next move now. Apparently there are more than 2 schmucks running NBA front offices (Suns and Minny).

For his next move Bower will trade brown and mopete to chicago for a couple of second round picks. Then Peja and JuJu to Toronto for Bosh.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias
    For his next move Bower will trade brown and mopete to chicago for a couple of second round picks. Then Peja and JuJu to Toronto for Bosh.
    Just say no.

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    having read Hollingers article, he points out how much of a highway robbery this is for us, but he has to ruin the article with this little nugget.

But they did cut their payroll the next two years with this deal and the ones after that don't matter nearly as much -- based on present deals New Orleans goes well under the cap in 2011 even with Okafor's money tacked on. Besides, by then they'll be in a new arena in Las Vegas and money won't be so tight (Kidding, people, kidding ... back off with the knives).

Its not even the "Move" comment that makes me mad, its just that the media never seems to want to acknowledge that WE are MAKING money here. theres so much more i could say on this, but i'm gonna try an stop my rant before it begins....

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjk481
    having read Hollingers article, he points out how much of a highway robbery this is for us, but he has to ruin the article with this little nugget.

But they did cut their payroll the next two years with this deal and the ones after that don't matter nearly as much -- based on present deals New Orleans goes well under the cap in 2011 even with Okafor's money tacked on. Besides, by then they'll be in a new arena in Las Vegas and money won't be so tight (Kidding, people, kidding ... back off with the knives).

Its not even the "Move" comment that makes me mad, its just that the media never seems to want to acknowledge that WE are MAKING money here. theres so much more i could say on this, but i'm gonna try an stop my rant before it begins....
    Sounds like he has gotten a lot of hate mail and has been proven to be wrong more than once about the Hornets' future. I see it more as tongue-in-cheek at himself.

New Orleans has its problems. Every city does. But a lot of cities are having a lot of problems given the economy. Las Vegas is easily in the top-5 with home foreclosures. Tourism/convention revenue is way down.

I don't think we'll see any serious discussion about the Hornets leaving for some time, hopefully a long time.

Meanwhile Seattle has done absolutely nothing to regain an NBA team and apparently has left money on the table (Bennett) over the whole arena issue up there.

Time for some football!!!

The Swagger
    So here is our new core:

CP3(24)
    DX(29 in August)
    Okafor(27 in September)

I APPROVE

QUOTE OF THE DAY

BOBCAT FAN "GEORGE SHINN SCREWS US AGAIN DAMMIT"

Maybe it's time for Bobjohnsoncat fans to buy their part in the Shinn situation. They're the ones that sent Shinn packing.

Bring back the Turtle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Like I said earlier, you are going to probably need to package a decent player with AD or someone like Brown. I can see Rasual as being that guy. I'm sure teams will ask for Julian.

i think if the price is right they should be willing to trade ju ju. We are in compete now mode and julian is a bit of a project and doesn't seem to fit in scotts system right now. I think we could get some value in return

Does anybody have access to the John Hollinger article about the trade? It's on ESPN Insider.

Thanks in advance!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA Champs
    OK...anyone updating their NBA 2K9 rosters yet??
    Already done playboy

wow jusw read this

There are 3 people who have averaged a double-double in each of the last 5 seasons:

■Tim Duncan
    ■Dwight Howard
    ■Emeka Okafor

This trade gives the Hornets a lot of stenght inside, someone who eats rebounds.
    A Basketball Jones

Initially I'm excited about this trade. I am a UCONN fan in addition to being a Hornets fan after all.. I believe Okafor is an upgrade talent wise. But I don't think this necessarily catapults us into contention..

A few things i'm a bit concerned about:-

- Tyson Chandlers athleticism really complemented Chris Paul. Although Ty's numbers weren't stellar last season, when healthy he was/is good on the offensive boards and finishing the break. Okafor doesn't have that same type of jump out of the gym athleticism that Chandler has and we will miss that part of his game..

- We lose some height on defense and now are a relatively small team. We have an undersized Power Forward in West and 6'10 Center in Mek..

- For all the limitations offensively that Tyson had Okafor isn't that far off.. He's a TERRIBLE free throw shooter (Shaq terrible), he still takes some questionable shots and he has a small array of post moves but that's it..

- When healthy Tyson wasn't a problem. After the trade got rescinded he was a pretty good darn Center. Our main liability was our depth at the 4 and the 5 and that hasn't really improvaed AT ALL...

- We will probably be hating his contract in three years...

Sorry for probably being the only negative person on here.. I love the trade and I'm a huge Okafor fan and he's the reason I watch about 75% of the Bobcats games. I just don't think he's going to make us THAT much better. He's an upgrade but our liability has been and will continue to be our depth in the front court...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I have not kept up with Okafur, so I do not know how much better he is than Chandler. But if you all think he is alot better, then I hope they get him. CP3 makes everyone better anyway. And the bench looks to be better with the two rookies. I just hope everyone can stay injury free.

Quote Originally Posted by Westside
    Initially I'm excited about this trade. I am a UCONN fan in addition to being a Hornets fan after all.. I believe Okafor is an upgrade talent wise. But I don't think this necessarily catapults us into contention..

A few things i'm a bit concerned about:-

- Tyson Chandlers athleticism really complemented Chris Paul. Although Ty's numbers weren't stellar last season, when healthy he was/is good on the offensive boards and finishing the break. Okafor doesn't have that same type of jump out of the gym athleticism that Chandler has and we will miss that part of his game..

- We lose some height on defense and now are a relatively small team. We have an undersized Power Forward in West and 6'10 Center in Mek..

- For all the limitations offensively that Tyson had Okafor isn't that far off.. He's a TERRIBLE free throw shooter (Shaq terrible), he still takes some questionable shots and he has a small array of post moves but that's it..

- When healthy Tyson wasn't a problem. After the trade got rescinded he was a pretty good darn Center. Our main liability was our depth at the 4 and the 5 and that hasn't really improvaed AT ALL...

- We will probably be hating his contract in three years...

Sorry for probably being the only negative person on here.. I love the trade and I'm a huge Okafor fan and he's the reason I watch about 75% of the Bobcats games. I just don't think he's going to make us THAT much better. He's an upgrade but our liability has been and will continue to be our depth in the front court...
    This

I was very optimistic about this trade at first, but after thinking about it I don't think Okafor is going to put this team over the top and straight into contention. I agree with alot of your sentiments, especially his contract, and lack of athleticism. I hope Okafor doesn't turn out to be Elton Brand like he did for the 76ers

The Okafor trade is mind boggling
    Yes, it is. I didn't think we could find an owner this stupid, but it appears we did!

Hornets + Kool-Aid = ??? PyroCross's Avatar
    I'll take Okafor, who could provide 15/10, over Chandler with a turf toe injury and an unlikely chance of playing beyond next season. Hopefully Armstrong can bring a bit of what Chandler brought and Okafor can bring a new dimension to the team.

I like this trade for because we improve offensively, in rebounding, and we get someone who is durable in exchange for someone is a walking timebomb as far as injuries go. I like Chandler , but he wasn't worth anything near what he was getting paid. It will be so nice to actually have a center who has some offensive game. I can't believe we are lucky enough to get a quality center for a overpaid, underachieving center with a chronic injury that isn't going to get better.

Had TC's foot condition not become such a problem that hampered this team, I would have been against dealing him. BUT...his salary...and what we need to get back in production from that money....made him a bad fit here. I like the hell out of TC....but saw his deal as crippling to our efforts to remain competitive.
    So they still think the injury could be chronic and hamper him for the rest of his career? Would there have been a chance that he could have got 100% healthy and back to form again?

Either way, I LOVE this move and will never second-guess it no matter what happens. Was just curious.

The Franchise
    Ill bring it up again, since people keep mentioning the height loss, Emeka has a bigger wing span and standing reach then Chandler.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Bring back the Turtle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Aj
    wow jusw read this

There are 3 people who have averaged a double-double in each of the last 5 seasons:

■Tim Duncan
    ■Dwight Howard
    ■Emeka Okafor

This trade gives the Hornets a lot of stenght inside, someone who eats rebounds.

hello sir

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    In all honesty, I couldn't complain about a deal like this.
    I'm disappointed that I didn't see more excitement from you in your initial reaction!

Thread Information