Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Chandler for Okafor deal in works {Update - Official 7/28} {mega-merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805
    He wouldn't get all those blocks if he wasn't atleast somewhat athletic. I mean he isn't exactly Mutumbo or Yao Ming sized and just needs to stick his hand up.
    you dont have to be athletic for that either. Okafor gets his blocks because he controls himself very well and is an extremely smart player. In a way its better to be unathletic because in a case like chandler, he is too athletic to where hes jumping all over the place and getting unnecessary fouls
    HORNETS ALL THE WAY IN 08!!!

Just wanted to come in quick and let you guys know what my buddy inside has told me about the whole thing that I havent seen touched on much:

This has been in the works for a little over two weeks as Charlotte has wanted to wait a while to see how Chandler's injury is coming along. They arent purely dumping salary, they could have trading Okafor for an expiring if they wanted to do that. Instead, they believe Chandler is a better fit for Augustin and Felton pushing the ball, and he wont require as many touches in the post as Okafor does. They are thinking- if TC is the old TC, great, he fits perfectly. If not, he is a great trade chip next year or gives them cap space in 2 years.

As for us, there has been two goals this offseason with regards to our roster:

1.) Toughness
    2.) Guys who can score without CP3 spoon feeding them

Okafor and Thornton definately fit the bill for their positions and all 3 of our additions fit the 2nd criteria. Even if TC was 100 percent, this trade would have gone down. One of the first things Scott brought up to Bower when they met this offseason was the fact that teams had figured out the screen and roll. TC, even at 100 percent, would never be the threat offensively they needed. The first target was Shaq, a guy who could get his own in the post. Wallace was looked at ONLY if they could buy him out super cheap and then they could go after a marquee big with the MLE. Indy also was very interested in TC, as were Miami before the Boozer and Odom talk. About two weeks ago Charlotte called them about Okafor and Bower I believe made a comment not to long ago about a shakeup. This is what he was referring to. We sent our latest reports to Charlotte about TC's progress this past week and Charlotte is ready to go through with this deal and take the risk for the before mentioned reasons.

Now this is what I have been told by my buddy who has been watching tape on Okafor for about a week now but wasnt told why until yesterday. As for my opinion, if anyone cares. I Love it and I really think you are starting to see us implore the 80's Detroit Piston model I have been begging for to be put around Paul (in fact I have a post where I listed my dream team around Paul and Okafor was the starting PF) Thornton is the undersized tough shooter a la Dumars or Microwave, Okafor will be our Rodman/Mahorn type, etc.

Yes, i think eventually Okafor will be our PF. I just dont think titles are won with a PF who is 6'8'' and center who is 6'10". How or when this will happen, I have no clue but Okafor's contract is 3 years longer than West's and I think he is our long term PF.

Anyway, I am glad to see people are happy with the offseason and have learned to wait until the offseason is actually over before making assumptions and pushing the panic button. Speaking of, yes we have talked to Warrick and Big Baby is only a possibility if Boston reconsiders and takes Posey.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
    Except Okafor isn't going to be throwing down any ally-oop dunks anytime soon. Have you ever even seen this guy play? He;s the antithesis of athleticism
    Not true at all! The alley-oops would continue. Also, wouldn't have to double Duncan anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQjY3M-X3h0

Nice to see him swat Melo too

not to call you out, but it was your buddy who said we were going to trade chandler for ben wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Tmon818
    Maybe Hilton will play better now that he is playing behind Okafor again
    let's not get crazy here.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP
    not to call you out, but it was your buddy who said we were going to trade chandler for ben wallace
    he said it was on the table.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio dunks
    let's not get crazy here.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by CP3 & 11 others
    Just wanted to come in quick and let you guys know what my buddy inside has told me about the whole thing that I havent seen touched on much:

This has been in the works for a little over two weeks as Charlotte has wanted to wait a while to see how Chandler's injury is coming along. They arent purely dumping salary, they could have trading Okafor for an expiring if they wanted to do that. Instead, they believe Chandler is a better fit for Augustin and Felton pushing the ball, and he wont require as many touches in the post as Okafor does. They are thinking- if TC is the old TC, great, he fits perfectly. If not, he is a great trade chip next year or gives them cap space in 2 years.

As for us, there has been two goals this offseason with regards to our roster:

1.) Toughness
    2.) Guys who can score without CP3 spoon feeding them

Okafor and Thornton definately fit the bill for their positions and all 3 of our additions fit the 2nd criteria. Even if TC was 100 percent, this trade would have gone down. One of the first things Scott brought up to Bower when they met this offseason was the fact that teams had figured out the screen and roll. TC, even at 100 percent, would never be the threat offensively they needed. The first target was Shaq, a guy who could get his own in the post. Wallace was looked at ONLY if they could buy him out super cheap and then they could go after a marquee big with the MLE. Indy also was very interested in TC, as were Miami before the Boozer and Odom talk. About two weeks ago Charlotte called them about Okafor and Bower I believe made a comment not to long ago about a shakeup. This is what he was referring to. We sent our latest reports to Charlotte about TC's progress this past week and Charlotte is ready to go through with this deal and take the risk for the before mentioned reasons.

Now this is what I have been told by my buddy who has been watching tape on Okafor for about a week now but wasnt told why until yesterday. As for my opinion, if anyone cares. I Love it and I really think you are starting to see us implore the 80's Detroit Piston model I have been begging for to be put around Paul (in fact I have a post where I listed my dream team around Paul and Okafor was the starting PF) Thornton is the undersized tough shooter a la Dumars or Microwave, Okafor will be our Rodman/Mahorn type, etc.

Yes, i think eventually Okafor will be our PF. I just dont think titles are won with a PF who is 6'8'' and center who is 6'10". How or when this will happen, I have no clue but Okafor's contract is 3 years longer than West's and I think he is our long term PF.

Anyway, I am glad to see people are happy with the offseason and have learned to wait until the offseason is actually over before making assumptions and pushing the panic button. Speaking of, yes we have talked to Warrick and Big Baby is only a possibility if Boston reconsiders and takes Posey.
    Do you have any idea what warrick will go for and would he accept anything we can offer?

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP
    We were, until the Amare trade didn't go through. Why is that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock6
    We were, until the Amare trade didn't go through. Why is that wrong?
    It was never that close in the 1st place, PHX had Chandler as a last resort if they couldn't find a big in free agency or other trade. They signed Frye and that was that.

I believe it was on the table, we just wouldn't have seen a deal or any for a while.

Again, my buddy isnt front office. He scouts players he is told to and is told that certain deals are in the works. Only one guy can pull the trigger- he's not that guy.

And there have been a LOT of almost deals this offseason that would blow your minds if you knew all of them. I mean ones you wouldnt have even expected- like this one.

I just know I am lucky to have a buddy inside my fav team and share as I would want someone else to share with me if they had the info. It is still your guys choice to take it or leave it. I have no desire to be looked up to or be the one to answer the questions, etc. Just trying to help out and the rest is up to you guys.

I love this offseason and wish TC the best.

The Swagger
    CP3&11

Is there any reason to not believe the FO will actively pursue Hakeem Warrick or Ike Diogu with the MLE?

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    It was never that close in the 1st place, PHX had Chandler as a last resort if they couldn't find a big in free agency or other trade. They signed Frye and that was that.

I believe it was on the table, we just wouldn't have seen a deal or any for a while.
    Right, but that wasn't really my point. I was pointing out that because we didn't trade Chandler for Wallace in no way invalidates CP3 and 11 Others' information that said the trade was a possibility.

2.5 left. CP3.....BOTTOM!!!
    Thx CP&11others for your continued insight and insider info. I always appreciate it.
    I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
    -Mitch Hedberg(R.I.P.)

"Still here dancing with the Googrux King, we'll be drinking Big Whiskey while we dance and sing..."
    -R.I.P. LeRoi Moore(1961-2008)

Does anyone think its possible that we are going to throw in mo pete and they throw in desagana diop so that they get rid of his rediculous contract?

Quote Originally Posted by stbviper22
    Does anyone think its possible that we are going to throw in mo pete and they throw in desagana diop so that they get rid of his rediculous contract?
    Sounds like it's finalized as is-a swap of TC & Okafor.

The Swagger
    I would rather Ajinca than Diop

Ajinca - 7'1 21 years old = potential

then again...so did Hilton Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    Sounds like it's finalized as is-a swap of TC & Okafor.
    I hope so and that we dont have to take on anything else. It just seems to good to be true.

Thx a bunch CP & 11 others...now..since my favorite Hornet is no longer a Hornet...my new favorite Hornets is JuJu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any idea what warrick will go for and would he accept anything we can offer?

No clue, but I know we have been studying his game closely and are trying to figure out if he would be a good fit.

Personally (my opinion, not inside) I dont think it is a good fit. I actually disagree with NIH and think this trade makes us more likely to look at a true center in FA. I mean Okafor is a PF on a title team IMO. No way we win a title with a 6'8 PF and 6'10 center (unless our SF was garnett 5 years ago) so we have West, Okafor, and Hilton as the guys who will eat up our 4/5 minutes. IMO, those are 3 PF's. We have to get a true 7 footer on this team in some shape or form. Somebody who changes shots just based on length. My buddy does statistically analasis for the Cavs and he says the one common thread amongst all champions over the history of the NBA is above average length at atleast 3-4 positions. I mean, think about the Lakers who could put 3 7 footers on the court. Or the Pistons who had a very long Prince at the 3 and Wallace's super long arms at the 4 along with Billups- a big PG.

Paul is a below aver PG, West a below average PF, Okafor a below average Center, and if Thornton pans out he would be a below average 2 guard- leaving Wright as the only avg to above avg guy for his position.

Okafor will eventually be our PF- he has to or no title. That simple. What that says for DWest, cant say. But there is no arguing with the past and the past says we have no chance at a title with West and Okafor as our 4 and 5.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman
    Not true at all! The alley-oops would continue. Also, wouldn't have to double Duncan anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQjY3M-X3h0

Nice to see him swat Melo too
    Good to see a body inside again.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA Champs
    Thx a bunch CP & 11 others...now..since my favorite Hornet is no longer a Hornet...my new favorite Hornets is JuJu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can you pick peja as your favorite player because it seems like all of your favorite players get traded and i actually want to keep juju.

Can you pick peja as your favorite player because it seems like all of your favorite players get traded and i actually want to keep juju.
    HAHAHA!

No clue, but I know we have been studying his game closely and are trying to figure out if he would be a good fit.

Personally (my opinion, not inside) I dont think it is a good fit. I actually disagree with NIH and think this trade makes us more likely to look at a true center in FA. I mean Okafor is a PF on a title team IMO. No way we win a title with a 6'8 PF and 6'10 center (unless our SF was garnett 5 years ago) so we have West, Okafor, and Hilton as the guys who will eat up our 4/5 minutes. IMO, those are 3 PF's. We have to get a true 7 footer on this team in some shape or form. Somebody who changes shots just based on length. My buddy does statistically analasis for the Cavs and he says the one common thread amongst all champions over the history of the NBA is above average length at atleast 3-4 positions. I mean, think about the Lakers who could put 3 7 footers on the court. Or the Pistons who had a very long Prince at the 3 and Wallace's super long arms at the 4 along with Billups- a big PG.

Paul is a below aver PG, West a below average PF, Okafor a below average Center, and if Thornton pans out he would be a below average 2 guard- leaving Wright as the only avg to above avg guy for his position.

Okafor will eventually be our PF- he has to or no title. That simple. What that says for DWest, cant say. But there is no arguing with the past and the past says we have no chance at a title with West and Okafor as our 4 and 5.
    The market is dryed up, I mean there are centers out there-they're just not any good. Mikki Moore or Maceo Baston aren't going to make a difference. I think in the future we'll have to aquire a bigger center, but I think they'll have to make due for this season.

If you had to guess would you say West would be a Hornet until his contract runs out or do you see us trading him before then...if you see us trading him, when do you think that would be..and are there too many factors to consider when trying to figure out what he would be traded for..considering his value is as high as it will EVER be...wouldn't it be wise to trade him this season??? And this length we need...do you think we'd wait to get a 7 footer or two via next years draft or do you think we'd try to acquire one or two by the trade deadline??

Thread Information