Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Chandler for Okafor deal in works {Update - Official 7/28} {mega-merged}

This is all kinds of awesome. Okafor played all 82 games last season, averaging 13.2 points, 10.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocks ... That Charlotte would even consider that is like a miracle, but than again Michael "Kwame Brown is awesome" Jordan has a say in it .... so everything is possible.

The Swagger
    How great would it be if the trade looked liked this

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=nnxy8e

It looks like it will just be a swap...but damn this has to be illegal

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    You'll hear a different Chris Paul on this TC trade.

In this edition of the NBA PM: Hornets and Bobcats talking Chandler for Okafor?...Thunder acquire Etan Thomas for Wilkins and Atkins…Kevin Durant very happy in OKC…Portland keeping rights to Claver…Upcoming HOOPSWORLD chats.

Chandler For Okafor? Before you get too caught up in what teams supposedly need to cut dollars, Marc Stein of ESPN is reporting the New Orleans Hornets and Charlotte Bobcats are talking trade, with the key players being centers Tyson Chandler and Emeka Okafor.

Chandler is owed $25.5 million over the next two seasons by the Hornets; he has an Early Termination Option for the $13.2 million in 2010-11. Chandler played only 45 games in 2008-09, averaging 8.8 points, 8.7 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks on 56.5% shooting from the field.

Okafor is owed over $60 million for the next five seasons. In 2008-09 he played in all 82 games for the second consecutive season, averaging 14.5 points, 11.9 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks on 56.1% shooting from the field.

Now, the Hornets have been a team many have pointed to when talking about teams who are having trouble making money. Acquiring Okafor would reduce their cap number – and their luxury tax number - by about $1.7 million in 2009-10 and a similar dollar amount in 2010-11, but would push them up against the salary cap in 2011-12 where they currently have only $32.3 million in contracts committed (to four players).

Yes, it will help the Hornets in the short-term, but long-term it may not.

As for the Bobcats, removing Okafor's contract starting in 2010-11 would give a cap number – as of now – of $33 million to six players. In their mind they would be possibly replacing what Okafor contributes for a little more money, but a much shorter amount of time. Still, the injuries Chandler seems to always be suffering have to give them a little pause, especially after the Oklahoma City Thunder had a deal worked out in February with New Orleans, then cancelled it after Chandler's physical.

However, one interesting thing to note is by clearing the long-term contract space it could mean the Bobcats are also close to working out a contract with point guard Raymond Felton. At last report both sides were far apart, with no recent updates.
    Makes alot more sense to me now.

I think if this deal happens we will be more likely to spend the full MLE. like someone said before, if we are contenders, we wont be afraid to be over the luxury tax, so ya might as well get that one little x factor as well if we are set to contend

The Swagger
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30
    I think if this deal happens we will be more likely to spend the full MLE. like someone said before, if we are contenders, we wont be afraid to be over the luxury tax, so ya might as well get that one little x factor as well if we are set to contend

Diogu or Warrick...make it happen FO

So, how does Okafor compare to (Smith for half a season and) Wilcox? I'd say we're making out better now than we would have had the OKC trade not been rescinded. Maybe waiting until the offseason wasn't such a lost cause after all.

We'd have 3 double machines!!!

CP3 22 pts and 12 assists

DX 20 pts and 10 rebounds

Okafor, I'd give at least a 16 pt avg. playing with CP3 and 12 boards.

:-)

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaDante
    So, how does Okafor compare to (Smith for half a season and) Wilcox? I'd say we're making out better now than we would have had the OKC trade not been rescinded. Maybe waiting until the offseason wasn't such a lost cause after all.
    Okafor is better than anyone we could have hoped to spend cap space on. Great trade, I can't say it enough.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

The Swagger
    Whats amazing about this whole situation is that Charlotte is in a much worse financial situation than us...For once we have leverage in a trade proposal....They are trying to dump salary like crazy.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Read up on the CLT side if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    [nba]bobcats[/nba] CHARLOTTE BOBCATS

Official Site: BobcatsBasketball.com

Local News:
    Charlotte Observer
    Gaston Gazette

Fan Sites & Forums:
    BobcatsPlanet.com - Fan site & forums
    Charlotte.com Forums - Bobcats forum @ The Charlotte Observer
    I don't think the fans are happy.

Emeka Okafor traded for Tyson Chandler
    [27 Jul 2009 | No Comment | ]

Rick Bonnell reports here that it is a done deal and will become official Tuesday morning.
    There are 3 people who have averaged a double-double in each of the last 5 seasons:

Tim Duncan
    Dwight Howard
    Emeka Okafor

That’s the list… Chandler has done it once in his entire career.
    In the forums, fans are less than happy with this deal because it has this the stench of Bob Johnson dumping salary.
    Me… Well, I’m completely baffled how this deal will make us a better team and get us closer to making the playoffs next season.

Time for some football!!!

I just wish we could have a center with a free throw percentage > 60%. Oh well......
    I do hope Okafor can keep up his end of the Crecent City Connection.

The Swagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333
    I just wish we could have a center with a free throw percentage > 60%. Oh well......
    I do hope Okafor can keep up his end of the Crecent City Connection.

Free Throw shooting should be the last thing to worry about in a center

BTW, the Charlotte Observer is saying it's a done deal, to be announced tomorrow am:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/856106.html

financially this trade makes sense. And I disagree with Stein on the long term hurt it may cause the hornets.

In the short term is only saves us $2 million over the next two years. However, we are hoping to get a healthier center, with better stats.

Long term. After the 2010-2011 season (Chandlers last year of contract), the Hornets are scheduled to have $31 million on the books (CP3, Collison, Wright, Posey, and D West having a player option). Thats a ton of cap space to play with if we kept tyson or got expiring contracts. Without anyone on the roster, we would need to sign 3 or 4 solid players to compete.

Trading Tyson now eliminates about $12-$13 million in cap space because we are taking on Okafors contract.

But with CP3, D West, Wright, Okafor, Posey, Collison our salary would stand at $50 million.

That will still leave us somehwere between $5-$12 million under the cap for 2011-2012. I am sorry, but that puts us in GREAT shape.

AND......

This enables us to have a chance to sign a BIG TIME free aganet the summer of lebron (think BOSH). Because we would only take a big hit in 2010-2011, and then would be sailing smoothly in 2011-2012. And odds are we could trade peja in 2010-2011 because of his contract.

Another big thing that I see in this, getting rid of Tyson Chandler is getting rid of the majority of in-game whining this Hornets team does. I remember when he was out they were not nearly as bad about it. I hated seeing TC & DWest complaining about every call. Okafur from what I have seen in Charlotte stays quiet and plays the game. Props to Jeff Bower and company.

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481
    you forgot about peja banjoman! i think he'll be valuable off the bench next year.
    Your right I did forget about Peja. I always seem to forget about Peja. Dunno why.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333
    BTW, the Charlotte Observer is saying it's a done deal, to be announced tomorrow am:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/856106.html
    Get him in here and get he and CP working out together. Time to revive the CCC!

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    Get him in here and get he and CP working out together. Time to revive the CCC!
    Except Okafor isn't going to be throwing down any ally-oop dunks anytime soon. Have you ever even seen this guy play? He;s the antithesis of athleticism

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
    Except Okafor isn't going to be throwing down any ally-oop dunks anytime soon. Have you ever even seen this guy play? He;s the antithesis of athleticism
    You dont need to be athletic to accept an alley oop.
    HORNETS ALL THE WAY IN 08!!!

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Who cares if it's an alley-oop or whatever? He can put up 14ppg which is more than Chandler ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
    what does that even mean?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He wouldn't get all those blocks if he wasn't atleast somewhat athletic. I mean he isn't exactly Mutumbo or Yao Ming sized and just needs to stick his hand up.

just logged on! WAHOOOOOO!!! Love this trade!

Know that I got that out the way. Someone explain to me what this does to us in the future with the cap situation? Are we going to be handcuffed? The important thing is to be able to contend when CP3's contract is up so he resigns. Will we still have enough money to go after upper teir free agents in 2011-12-13? Someone set me straight, thanks
    Bringing it back to the bottom of the map!

The Swagger
    Maybe Hilton will play better now that he is playing behind Okafor again

Thread Information