Pelicans Report

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Chandler for Okafor deal in works {Update - Official 7/28} {mega-merged}

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxSaints53
    Title: What are the Charlotte Bobcats thinking?

Usually when a trade happens, I'll write something like, "On the surface, it makes no sense," and then proceed to walk you through all the cap ramifications to show why a seemingly lopsided deal actually makes some sense.

This isn't one of those.

I'm just as puzzled as anyone why the Bobcats would agree to trade Emeka Okafor to the Hornets for Tyson Chandler, because in terms of both basketball and cap implications, the deal makes a lot more sense for New Orleans than it does for Charlotte.

The Hornets pulled off the rare feat of saving money while becoming a better team. Yes, Okafor's contract runs three years longer, but that matters much less than the near-term implications of having a lower payroll this year and next year because of the luxury tax calculations.

He'll save the Hornets $1.1 million in salary and another $1.1 million in luxury tax this year, and he puts them close enough to the tax line that they could put themselves under by bribing somebody to take Antonio Daniels at the trade deadline. That will be difficult, yes, but it's not impossible.

Ditto for next year. The Hornets already are threatening the lowered tax threshold for next summer, and the trade would give them an extra $1.2 million in wiggle room to add players. (This presumes Chandler doesn't opt out of the final year of his contract at $12.7 million, which, based on his present production, would be fiscal insanity.)

And, as I mentioned, Okafor is the better player. Both players consistently have been honorable mentions in my all-defense picks, but Okafor is the superior scorer. That might not be saying much -- both players are somewhat limited offensively -- but Okafor can score on post-ups occasionally and make short bank shots, while Chandler's range ends at the charge circle. Over the past three seasons, Okafor has averaged nearly five more points per 40 minutes -- that's big.

The health disparity between the two also has been mentioned, but look closer, and I'm not sure there's any difference. Okafor has averaged 66 games per season over the course of his career, Chandler 67. Chandler has a bad toe that already nuked one trade, but Okafor has a problematic back. Okafor has played 82 games each of the past two seasons, but over their careers, their injury histories show little separation. Age isn't an issue either -- they were born four days apart.

Nevertheless, the Hornets have to be stoked. Getting a not-quite-All-Star caliber center who will do the dirty work on D and score a little improves their chances of hanging with the West's upper crust, although there remains much work to be done.

... (It goes on, but I don't think I'm allowed to post the whole thing.)
    I posted the second half earlier in italics.

Sec. 110 - You know me! Contributor roturn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beezwax
    don't shoot the messenger but I hear Hornets are now in talks with the celtics for a sign and trade of Big Baby to the Hornets for Posey. Anybody else hear this?

as long as they don't give Baby the entire mid-level excepttion they gave to Posey i'd be all for it. cause it would allow us to sign a swing man to replace him.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    HH, not trying to divert the thread too much but do you think the Hornets are 'hoping' that HA12 will reincarnate some of Chandler's instincts? From what I've been seeing around the threads, Okafor isn't exactly an athletic/lengthy freak like Chandler (although he is decent in that regard). One of Hilton's supposed caveats if I'm not mistaken, is that he's supposed to be pretty athletic/quick for his size...and when Chandler was out and Hilt has his occasional good stretches, he did run the court well and receive a handful of CCCs.

Thoughts?? Since there are no real difference-making, long C's left in the FA market, Hilton stepping up is something the team must be banking on, regardless of how likely it seems to happen.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89
    HH, not trying to divert the thread too much but do you think the Hornets are 'hoping' that HA12 will reincarnate some of Chandler's instincts? From what I've been seeing around the threads, Okafor isn't exactly an athletic/lengthy freak like Chandler (although he is decent in that regard). One of Hilton's supposed caveats if I'm not mistaken, is that he's supposed to be pretty athletic/quick for his size...and when Chandler was out and Hilt has his occasional good stretches, he did run the court well and receive a handful of CCCs.

Thoughts?? Since there are no real difference-making, long C's left in the FA market, Hilton stepping up is something the team must be banking on, regardless of how likely it seems to happen.
    I really don't know. I do know it's time for Hilton's game to take a big step forward. He's a good kid, works hard, etc. But, the one knock I hear against him is that he doesn't consistently practice and play like he wants to take someone's minutes. He seems content getting what he gets. Hilton needs to ALWAYS play with that aggressive streak we've seen flashes of. He needs to show a hunger to take someone elses minutes (starter or bench). If he did, he would be a nice energy guy and decent role player off the bench. Being part of an NBA team is great, but it's time for Hilton to get beyond just being happy to be here.

I wouldn't expect some sort of resurrection of Hilton Armstrong. Though as someone else said perhaps he'll be more comfortable going back to his college role of backing up Emeka Okafor.

I think chandler is more intimidating to opposing teams but we don't need the aggression Chandler brought. He brought TOO much. did it not seem like every game he was in foul trouble? Okafor is a smarter defender who will not just go for the big play and throw his fouls away

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    ^^ I'm definitely gonna miss that aggression if not for just entertainment values. I mean c'mon...

That's just classic.

This thread is hotter than the Erin Andrews threads ever got.

Everybody wants to fight this dood (Przbilla)... he's a damm pest. I'd love to see somebody lay his *** out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805
    ^^ I'm definitely gonna miss that aggression if not for just entertainment values. I mean c'mon...

That's just classic.

I hate Joel P. and I hope, now that TC is a Bobcat- he knocks him out even if it gets him 10 games.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    We got a first round pick too??????

First round pick???

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    If so someone needs to photshop Bower with a magic wand and cape.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

A first round pick too? Naah..way too impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard

First round pick???
    RealGM really needs to read their source articles - the SI.com piece doesn't mention a pick..... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ml?eref=si_nba

Passion. Purpose. Pride.    Contributor   

First round pick???
    WWWHHHAAATTTT?????

No way. Impossible. This has to be incorrect.

Or is it possible Bower convinced them to give us a first rounder because we were taking on such a big contract with so many years and so much money remaining?

I'm seriously doubting this. If you read the SI article linked to realgm, it doesn't mention a pick. Weird though.

Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    RealGM really needs to read their source articles - the SI.com piece doesn't mention a pick..... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ml?eref=si_nba

Exactly, and I don't mean to get everyone excited. Would definitely take this with a grain of salt.

First round pick???

MJ CAN'T POSSIBLY be that sucky as a GM. I don't believe it... I'm trying HARD not to believe it...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ml?eref=si_nba

"The New Orleans Hornets have finally found a taker for Tyson Chandler. It took a deal with tinkering Charlotte coach Larry Brown, who was willing to jettison the Bobcats' first draft pick."

Passion. Purpose. Pride.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs

"The New Orleans Hornets have finally found a taker for Tyson Chandler. It took a deal with tinkering Charlotte coach Larry Brown, who was willing to jettison the Bobcats' first draft pick."
    That has to be what Real GM did. They saw that and didn't realize that they were referring to Okafor as the Bobcats first-ever draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs

Yea thats were the confusion emerged. Bobcats first draft pick = Okafor.

realgm made a mistake; we did NOT get a draft pick

yeah, its referring to okafor, who was their first draft pick.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

Thread Information