Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pistons interested in Chandler?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias
    think of how sexy it could be. West/Maxiell/Bass/ Brown. While not all world Brown is very good in limited minuets, and Bass and Maxiell could just float for us.
    I doubt we would have both Maxiell and Bass. They are redundant.

Chandler career blocks per game - 1.4. Best year ever -- 1.8. Not a big shot blocker for a starting center -- especially one with NO offensive moves beyond finishing the 'oop.

Chandler is a 7 footer who's top attribute is quick feet and athletic ability. Add a bad toe, and everything changes. You try to play your game without putting too much pressure on it because the thing hurts. Then you sprain an ankle. Then you can't come back from the sprained ankle because you still have to favor the toe. While its conceivable that a summer of rest and extremely good luck might mean he can give us 90% of his old self for a while, the odds of him making it though a whole season and being ready to really play when it counts are minimal.

I would do any deal that put Maxiell in a Hornets uni. Kwame is just cap filler. (And not bad cap filler when you look at alternatives.)

Lat year -- Chandler got 1.2 bpg in 32.1 mpg. Maxiell got .8 bpg in 18.1 min. Wont be losing anything in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fan
    Chandler career blocks per game - 1.4. Best year ever -- 1.8. Not a big shot blocker for a starting center -- especially one with NO offensive moves beyond finishing the 'oop.

Chandler is a 7 footer who's top attribute is quick feet and athletic ability. Add a bad toe, and everything changes. You try to play your game without putting too much pressure on it because the thing hurts. Then you sprain an ankle. Then you can't come back from the sprained ankle because you still have to favor the toe. While its conceivable that a summer of rest and extremely good luck might mean he can give us 90% of his old self for a while, the odds of him making it though a whole season and being ready to really play when it counts are minimal.

I would do any deal that put Maxiell in a Hornets uni. Kwame is just cap filler. (And not bad cap filler when you look at alternatives.)

Lat year -- Chandler got 1.2 bpg in 32.1 mpg. Maxiell got .8 bpg in 18.1 min. Wont be losing anything in that category.
    1.8 would actually have been top 10 in the league last season and 1.4 top 15.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    1.8 would actually have been top 10 in the league last season and 1.4 top 15.
    And this is out starting center making over 10mil/year? If you take his stats from two years ago, he would have been in the top ten. Thats the best you can come up with? Where were his rebounds last year? (8.7 rpg would have tied him for 12th with Pryzbilla, BUT he didn't play enough games to qualify for the league leaders. 8.7 was tied for 21st among all players.) What about his scoring? Being in the top 10 (or 15) in blocks does not mean you are among the top 10 centers, or even a great shot blocker. Birdman, Camby and Turiaf were # 2,3, and 4 in blocks per game -- and they played far fewer minutes.

From what I've seen, Chandler is a good guy and a real pro. I also like his game when he's healthy -- even though he's probably still a bit over-rated (consider how many points and rebounds he gets because CP3 draws and dishes or takes all the defense to the hoop leaving TC an easy offensive putback). But now that he's damaged goods, it just doesn't pay to keep him around at his salary. And if someone is willing to give me serviceable players (esp. big men) and cap relief for him, I'd do it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Apparently being a great shot blocker means averaging nearly 3 a game or something...

Why do people want to re-sign Bowen? He brings nothing to this team and shouldn't even be in the NBA.

Also A front court of Kwame Brown and Hilton Armstrong is going to be hilarious to watch.

Who the h3ll said we should resign Bowen?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654
    Found this spipet on the Piston's forum on realgm.com:

"Valenti
    by JK47 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:47 pm

The rumor I heard today on Live 97.1FM, Mike Valenti said a source indicated a strong possibility Chandler will be a Piston soon.

Valenti then added, he would be shocked if Chandler wasn't a Piston by the time Valenti got back from his vacation next week.

The deal he mentioned would have Kwame Brown AND Maxiell going to NOH for Chandler.

Brown's contract is for $4 mil

Maxiell's is for $5 mil.

$9 mil total in contracts, plus the $3-4 mil left in cap space after signing Gordon and Charlie V, equals exactly the $12 mil on Chandler's contract.

Hornets shed $3-4 mil in salary this year, but next year Kwame's contract expires, leaving them w/ Maxiell at only $5 mil/yr, saving them $7 mil/yr compared to Chandler's $12 mil/yr.

So, its a win-win for both teams. Hornets get their cap relief, which is their motive for trading him. They're not looking for equal talent in return, just cap space.

And the Pistons get their starting center without having to give up any main core pieces.

Using that $3-4 mil left in cap space would, however, prevent them from re-signing Dyess, and thin their bench significantly in the frontcourt, but if letting a 35 yr old backup and a couple go role players in Kwame and Max go is the price to land a 7 foot defensive anchor in his prime, then its a no-brainer.

Lineup could look like,

PG Stuckey
    SG Rip
    SF Tay
    PF Villanueva
    C Chandler

With Gordon and Bynum as the main scorers off the bench, they would probably then pick up another big or two with the veterans minimum, and along with the rookies have a 7-8 deep rotation in quality players."
    ----

I didn't think Detroit would part ways with Maxiell, but apparently they think highly of Chandler as a fit there. Also, Chandler played with Orince in high school and could help ease his transition there.

But Jason Maxiell would be the real prize here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3__...ature=quicklist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJ40Diwp4o

He is a gritty, tough-as-nails defensive presence at the back-up PF spot and with his bulk and wingspan, can see time at back-up C, as well. Gettin all excited just thinking about the possibility of having him here.' This trade would cut costs and eliminate the need for signing for big man help all in one clever swoop.

TRADE:

Chandler
    -
    Kwame Brown
    Maxiell

F/A Signings:

Jannero Pargo

Resign:

Sean Marks
    Ryan Bowen

To be Traded/ Odd Men Out:

Devin Brown (expiring)
    Antonio Daniels (expiring)
    Either Rasual Butler (expiring) or Morris Peterson

2009 line-up

Armstrong/ Kwame/ Marks
    West/ Maxiell -Bowen
    J-Wright/ Peja -Peterson
    Butler/ Posey -Thornton
    Paul/ Pargo/ Collison

2010 line-up

Armstrong/ Shaq/ Marks
    West/ Maxiell
    J-Wright/ Peja
    Peterson/ Posey
    Paul/ Pargo/ Collison

= New Orleans's first pro championship
    that guy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fan
    And this is out starting center making over 10mil/year? If you take his stats from two years ago, he would have been in the top ten. Thats the best you can come up with? Where were his rebounds last year? (8.7 rpg would have tied him for 12th with Pryzbilla, BUT he didn't play enough games to qualify for the league leaders. 8.7 was tied for 21st among all players.) What about his scoring? Being in the top 10 (or 15) in blocks does not mean you are among the top 10 centers, or even a great shot blocker. Birdman, Camby and Turiaf were # 2,3, and 4 in blocks per game -- and they played far fewer minutes.

From what I've seen, Chandler is a good guy and a real pro. I also like his game when he's healthy -- even though he's probably still a bit over-rated (consider how many points and rebounds he gets because CP3 draws and dishes or takes all the defense to the hoop leaving TC an easy offensive putback). But now that he's damaged goods, it just doesn't pay to keep him around at his salary. And if someone is willing to give me serviceable players (esp. big men) and cap relief for him, I'd do it.
    Hey, you were the one who claimed he was not a good shot blocker, so I just supplied the stats to show that was not the case. I was not "coming up with" anything other than what you claimed. Don't get all defensive because you did not check your facts.

I have one problem with that guy from the Piston's forum's post. What happens to Thornton in 2010-11? Does he think we trade him?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805
    I have one problem with that guy from the Piston's forum's post. What happens to Thornton in 2010-11? Does he think we trade him?

really nit-picking arent you?? most teams wouldnt really put a 2nd rounder into their plans 2 years down the road would they?
    Hornets fan since day 1.

I'd like to get Maxwell, he paly with heart and he is a beast... Even with him, i'd like to sign Bass... I rather like an undersize PF/C who play with heart rather than Hilton ou Mikki Moore...

But our problem will be simple :
    Maxwell, West, or Bass = talented, hard workers but undersize

Team to beat = LA with Gasol and Bynum both at 7'0 ft
    In our division = Fuc***g Tim Duncan
    Team of the futur = Portland with Oden and Alrige both a 7'0ft (or 6'11...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654
    Yea, it's a big joke to everyone that Hilton Armstrong could never possibly start at the Center position in the NBA, but the people who know anything about basketball and about player development will see that Hilton Armstrong has been learning and progressing along every year he has been in the league. Could it be that Hilton Armstrong may actually step it up this year with a new, focused mental approach to the game??? Afterall, this will be his fourth season in the NBA, and he has been participating in the same grueling workouts that 1st overall draft pick Blake Griffin has been in.

But don't take my word for it. Wait and see, wait and see........
    Please, nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I don't know why it isn't obvious to everyone that the kid simply can't play? He's not a basketball player. He doesn't have good hands, he isn't strong, he just isn't a natural player. Time to give up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by BLT23
    really nit-picking arent you?? most teams wouldnt really put a 2nd rounder into their plans 2 years down the road would they?
    Well, I said it was my one problem...

And seeing as we traded a couple future picks for him, I'd say we like him a lot and he's definitely in the future plans. In fact, I've heard that two of our top players on the draft board were Collison and Thornton. Seems to me we were going to try and make that trade with whoever got Thornton from the beginning.

Though, I can't really expect some one who doesn't closely follow the team(the guy on the Piston's forum) to know that.

Edit: I've just about written Armstrong off as becoming much of anything, but I still want him to prove me wrong and think he has a budding mid range game he needs to develop. But, will he gets his head on right to get as good as he's capable? I just can't believe he's going to do it...
    Last edited by Eman5805; 07-03-2009 at 10:25 PM.

According to Ric Bucher:

"FYI- PHX can trade Big Ben for Chandler anytime they want. They are checking all options first."

This is the same thing I am hearing regarding PHX, Det, and Indy surprisingly. Like I said yesterday, teams know they can make the same deal in a month, maybe two so they will explore all other avenues first. But if and when they cant hit their homerun, they will come back. All we need is one team.

And no, I have no idea what Indy would offer, just know they are a darkhorse and have expressed as much interest as the other two. If I had to guess, it would be Foster and a sign and trade of Rasho w/ a 1yr contract. Could save us a little money this year, 6 mil next year and give us a good rebounding backup big for the next 2 years. I would rank that deal 3rd behind PHX and Det but would take it if the other two dragged their feet too much or pulled out.
    Last edited by CP3 & 11 others; 07-04-2009 at 07:06 AM.

but let me get this straight though; there is no chance of us signing bass unless we trade chandler first, right???

well, if that doesn't happen in a month, then we have no chance in getting bass or any relevant free agent

I would take Maxiell over Bass, but seeing as how Maxiell might not even be part of a trade go with Bass.

Kwame Brown is a bad center, but in limited minuits he isn't horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP
    but let me get this straight though; there is no chance of us signing bass unless we trade chandler first, right???

well, if that doesn't happen in a month, then we have no chance in getting bass or any relevant free agent

Unless we have a deal in place with a team who says something like "okay we will do the deal but want to wait until the ankle heals so we can give him a proper physical", but even then the risk that TC doesnt pass their physical would be too great.

I mean, if we sign Bass, you are looking at a payroll of 85 million or so after rookies and Bass and 79 of that will count against the lux tax, so you are asking the owner to foot a bill of 93 million for a team that still wouldnt be a top 4 favorite to win a title. It just doesnt make business sense.

The only way we might sign Bass, IMO, is if we do the PHX deal and buy out Wallace. If we do the Detroit deal, Bass and Maxiell would be rudundent. The Indy deal- then we are paying two backup bigs a total of 12 mil.

Meanwhile we are hoping to use AD as a chip to land a big. So personally I think Bass is a smokescreen by the FO to make it look like we could spend money, we just happened to get outbid. The hope is that a TC trade and an AD trade will give us enough bigs to get by this year and the flexibility it creates will let us get into the trade market next year to load this team up for 2010-11 through 2015-16 as the Lakers and Spurs decline and it becomes us, OKC, Port, and Den in the West.

I think its time for people to just accept that the Hornets 2009-2010 roster will be pretty much what you see now. People act like this team is going to be horrible. Last year the team managed to win 49 games with key players hurt most of the season. Who knows, this team may manage to stay healthy and win 50+ games.

As someone mentioned before, Shinn isnt going to pay 90 million for a roster that has no real chance of winning an NBA title. Nobody in the league is willing to do that.

If the Hornets somehow manage to unload TC for Wallace and we save money then good. I dont want to have another year of season ticket prices going up. In the end the fans pay for all this spending.

The Hornets have no chance of winning an NBA title this season but will put a quality team on the court. Paul, Butler, Peja, West, and TC is not a bad starting lineup. AD, Wright, Posey, Armstrong, and the two rookies is not an impressive bench but who knows what kind of production you can get out of Wright and the two rooks. It could be worse.

If this team somehow gets rid of TC and signs garbage like Marks, Moore, or Voskul to replace him then we may take a hit but I think this team will still be a playoff team.
    MJR

Couldnt agree more with everything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by pharcyder
    If this team somehow gets rid of TC and signs garbage like Marks, Moore, or Voskul to replace him then we may take a hit but I think this team will still be a playoff team.
    Orlando was a playoff team with T-Mac scoring at will.
    Minnesota was a playoff team with Garnett all over the floor.

After a few years they were tired of being part of an "good but never great" team and asked for a trade. Both of those turn didn't something worth in return...

Waiting a few years to get ride of bad contracts and build around CP and West in their prime is very understandable.But i would kill myself if CP leave us because we wait too much and were lacking of ambition.

The Hornets have made bad decisions with contracts given to players and now have to deal with it. The rest of the league isn't waiting in line to bail the Hornets out. Teams are not waiting around hoping the Hornets can unload their trash upon them in exchange for players that will help the Hornets. The one thing the Hornets do not have is a great front office. They make several mistakes and it seems to set this team back.

Why worry about Paul leaving? He still has another three years left on his contract. If Paul wants to leave New Orleans, he will and there isn't anything the Hornets can do about it. The Hornets should build their team around Chris Paul because he is a great talent but there should be a limit.

The front office needs to make decisions based on whats best for the Hornets and not what will keep Chris Paul from getting upset. Now whether those decisions are good ones, well, thats another question.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Maybe when he was injured, but he certainly held his own against most big men one on one. He was very good on Duncan in the playoff series the year before last only to have BS continue to try to help when not needed.
    Haha. I agree and this guy is saying the same thing. One would have to either be blind or not have watched the games at all if they don't think Tyson held his own against Duncan.

The New Orleans Hornets reportedly are peddling high-paid center Tyson Chandler and his questionable lower extremities; they might be a bit less willing to deal one of the few players capable of guarding Tim Duncan (without sending the double-team cavalry) if Peja Stojakovic had considerably less than $30 million headed his way over the next two seasons. Morris Peterson hardly seems like a Hornets bargain at two years and more than $13 million.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9760782/NBA's-worst-cap-killing-contracts

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If trading Chandler helps the team, then okay. But it just seems he might get to another team and win a championship.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smcgull
    If trading Chandler helps the team, then okay. But it just seems he might get to another team and win a championship.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Thread Information