Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pistons interested in Chandler?

Quote Originally Posted by NO reason
    The toe...my point is that I wouldn't expect him to annouce that his toe is a problem because his livelihood depends on it.
    But he missed a majority of last season and didn't play like himself in the playoffs because of his sprained ankle. He had to get a boot put on his foot because of his ankle. I didn't hear a thing regarding his reduced production from last season having anything to due with his toe. The only time I heard his toe being brought up at all last season is when that YHT doctor failed his physical.

Man, people think highly of Tyson when he is healthy. The guy is one of the best defenders sure, but on offense the guy is lost. He is a top 5 athletic center. He is not a top 10 center in the league though.

Hall of Famer Contributor
    ^ if you looked at Wins produced he is (not last year though cause of the injuries but the year before)

blind squirell.

I think CP really made Chandler into the Center he is now and I'm not sure he'd be the same anywhere else. If we had an athletic Center with any kind of offense game and could shoot FT at a nice clip then we would thank Chandler for his time here, but we'd enjoy our increase in wins and production from the center position.
    Last edited by harschman; 07-02-2009 at 09:11 PM.

Tyson is so overrated defensively it really isnt funny. Considering how athletic he is, he should be at least a good shot blocker and he isnt. He cannot guard any big man one on one without help.
    HORNETS ALL THE WAY IN 08!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stbviper22
    He cannot guard any big man one on one without help.
    That is way off base. Have you watched him play at all?

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    That is way off base. Have you watched him play at all?
    Yes and i have watched byron scott have to double a big man in the post only for them to nail a three because chandler is not strong enough to hold somebody down in the post(then watch byron get criticized for doubling when it would have been an easy bucket). Also you would think that he would counter that with being able to block a shot but he is clumsy and can not time a block right resulting in him getting in foul trouble.

Yes and i have watched byron scott have to double a big man in the post only for them to nail a three because chandler is not strong enough to hold somebody down in the post(then watch byron get criticized for doubling when it would have been an easy bucket). Also you would think that he would counter that with being able to block a shot but he is clumsy and can not time a block right resulting in him getting in foul trouble.
    Maybe when he was injured, but he certainly held his own against most big men one on one. He was very good on Duncan in the playoff series the year before last only to have BS continue to try to help when not needed.

The Swagger
    he should be at least a good shot blocker and he isnt.
    You destroyed any credibility you had on these boards when you posted this. Tyson was well-known around the NBA for his blocks during the 07-08 season

Quote Originally Posted by CP3 & 11 others
    I would say if 100 percent healthy Tyson is a top 6 center in this league. But with the toe problem, lets put him at 85 percent- lets assume we are getting the TC we got after the rescinded OKC deal and before the ankle injury. Isnt he still a top 12 Center- if not top 10?

My list:

1.) Dwight
    2.) Yao
    3.) Shaq
    4.) Jefferson
    Chandler would go 5 IMO if 100 percent
    5.) Nene
    6.) Bynum
    7.) Lopez
    8.) Horford
    9.) Bogut
    10.) Brad Miller
    11.) Oden

Now even at 85 percent- post OKC trade, pre ankle surgery- how far down that list does TC rank? I would put him slightly below Bynum and it is a toss up between him and all those other guys for 7th-12th place. And that is assuming we have a banged up Chandler but Chandler had the toe issue when he went for 12 and 12 back in 07-08 which would easily put him #5 on that list.

I am for trading Chandler because he has some value and can be moved where someone like Peja or Mo cant but I can honestly say I dont think it would be the worst thing if he were here next year because I might be naive but if we stay healthy and Wright finally has a breakout season which I still think is a possibility, I whink we are the 2nd best team in the West. Just an opinion, but one I can not be talked out of so dont waste time trying and I understand if others think the opposite. That being said, I do acknowledge that this team staying healthy for a whole season and for the playoffs is as likely as Vin Diesel winning a best actor Oscar but I can try to be positive.
    If bynum will play the next regular season the way he played in the playoffs i think you could put him behind even people like mikki moore

Quote Originally Posted by Tmon818
    You destroyed any credibility you had on these boards when you posted this. Tyson was well-known around the NBA for his blocks during the 07-08 season
    Yea he had a few good blocks but nobody is scared to go into the lane on tyson because either he wont be able to block or he will foul you.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Maybe when he was injured, but he certainly held his own against most big men one on one. He was very good on Duncan in the playoff series the year before last only to have BS continue to try to help when not needed.
    Duncan absolutely abused chandler in that series didnt he shoot like 53% from the floor and get like 19 pts and 14 rebs a game?

I will give chandler this, when he goes up against guys like biedrins or somebody else small he puts up good numbers, still cant guard them but gets good numbers. But against guys like dampier, howard, shaq, perkins, chandler does nothing offensively nor defensively because they just throw him around like a rag doll.

I was reading Realgm and it seems that a Pistons beat writer has said that Dumars wouldnt trade Kwame for Chandler given Chandlers contract & injuries.

Maxiel I think makes 5 mil and if Detroit has 4 mil in capspace that means they need to include some filler to make it work.

Found this spipet on the Piston's forum on realgm.com:

"Valenti
    by JK47 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:47 pm

The rumor I heard today on Live 97.1FM, Mike Valenti said a source indicated a strong possibility Chandler will be a Piston soon.

Valenti then added, he would be shocked if Chandler wasn't a Piston by the time Valenti got back from his vacation next week.

The deal he mentioned would have Kwame Brown AND Maxiell going to NOH for Chandler.

Brown's contract is for $4 mil

Maxiell's is for $5 mil.

$9 mil total in contracts, plus the $3-4 mil left in cap space after signing Gordon and Charlie V, equals exactly the $12 mil on Chandler's contract.

Hornets shed $3-4 mil in salary this year, but next year Kwame's contract expires, leaving them w/ Maxiell at only $5 mil/yr, saving them $7 mil/yr compared to Chandler's $12 mil/yr.

So, its a win-win for both teams. Hornets get their cap relief, which is their motive for trading him. They're not looking for equal talent in return, just cap space.

And the Pistons get their starting center without having to give up any main core pieces.

Using that $3-4 mil left in cap space would, however, prevent them from re-signing Dyess, and thin their bench significantly in the frontcourt, but if letting a 35 yr old backup and a couple go role players in Kwame and Max go is the price to land a 7 foot defensive anchor in his prime, then its a no-brainer.

Lineup could look like,

PG Stuckey
    SG Rip
    SF Tay
    PF Villanueva
    C Chandler

With Gordon and Bynum as the main scorers off the bench, they would probably then pick up another big or two with the veterans minimum, and along with the rookies have a 7-8 deep rotation in quality players."
    ----

I didn't think Detroit would part ways with Maxiell, but apparently they think highly of Chandler as a fit there. Also, Chandler played with Orince in high school and could help ease his transition there.

But Jason Maxiell would be the real prize here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3__...ature=quicklist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJ40Diwp4o

He is a gritty, tough-as-nails defensive presence at the back-up PF spot and with his bulk and wingspan, can see time at back-up C, as well. Gettin all excited just thinking about the possibility of having him here.' This trade would cut costs and eliminate the need for signing for big man help all in one clever swoop.

TRADE:

Chandler
    -
    Kwame Brown
    Maxiell

F/A Signings:

Jannero Pargo

Resign:

Sean Marks
    Ryan Bowen

To be Traded/ Odd Men Out:

Devin Brown (expiring)
    Antonio Daniels (expiring)
    Either Rasual Butler (expiring) or Morris Peterson

2009 line-up

Armstrong/ Kwame/ Marks
    West/ Maxiell -Bowen
    J-Wright/ Peja -Peterson
    Butler/ Posey -Thornton
    Paul/ Pargo/ Collison

2010 line-up

Armstrong/ Shaq/ Marks
    West/ Maxiell
    J-Wright/ Peja
    Peterson/ Posey
    Paul/ Pargo/ Collison

= New Orleans's first pro championship

wow, even a 45 year old Shaq would probably be able to start over Hilton.

Yea, it's a big joke to everyone that Hilton Armstrong could never possibly start at the Center position in the NBA, but the people who know anything about basketball and about player development will see that Hilton Armstrong has been learning and progressing along every year he has been in the league. Could it be that Hilton Armstrong may actually step it up this year with a new, focused mental approach to the game??? Afterall, this will be his fourth season in the NBA, and he has been participating in the same grueling workouts that 1st overall draft pick Blake Griffin has been in.

But don't take my word for it. Wait and see, wait and see........

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654
    Yea, it's a big joke to everyone that Hilton Armstrong could never possibly start at the Center position in the NBA, but the people who know anything about basketball and about player development will see that Hilton Armstrong has been learning and progressing along every year he has been in the league. Could it be that Hilton Armstrong may actually step it up this year with a new, focused mental approach to the game??? Afterall, this will be his fourth season in the NBA, and he has been participating in the same grueling workouts that 1st overall draft pick Blake Griffin has been in.

But don't take my word for it. Wait and see, wait and see........
    Oh, so I guess you are coming here telling everyone that only you know anything about basketball? Hilton's biggest problems are strength (he has yet to hit the weightroom like he needs to) and focus. Those are fixable if a player is willing to work towards it. After 3-4 years, the question becomes, does he want it enough to do so?

The answer: yes. Young players take time to develop. But I guess we'll see what happens on the court this season.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654
    The answer: yes. Young players take time to develop. But I guess we'll see what happens on the court this season.
    i have supported hilton in the past, but this is said every year. i said it last year. he had opportunities to set a niche in the league this year but failed to take advantage. he stills struggle to get into position to rebound and doesn't play with a constant motor/lack of fire. if he just decide to be an elbow jumper player, he has a spot in the league for a few years. yet he doesn't use it along with the rest of the tools he possess.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Hilton hasn't shown much outside of 3-4 games though, and he bas both problems mentally and physically. Maybe he's one of those guys who really can't get any bigger.

I'll give a ton of credit to Bower if he can nab Maxiell, it's probably unlikely but we'll see.

OMG I do not want Kwame
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Anyone ever think about if we got Maxiell and had d-west we would have to very good pf's making under $9 mil a season. That my friends is a steal. And as such we could see one of them get sent out for bigger and better. GM's go crazy for contracts like those.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias
    Anyone ever think about if we got Maxiell and had d-west we would have to very good pf's making under $9 mil a season. That my friends is a steal. And as such we could see one of them get sent out for bigger and better. GM's go crazy for contracts like those.
    sent out for what. or we could keep both as they would compliment each other well and are affordable. lack of depth is our current problem.

think of how sexy it could be. West/Maxiell/Bass/ Brown. While not all world Brown is very good in limited minuets, and Bass and Maxiell could just float for us.

Thread Information