Pelicans Report

Thread: 2008-09 Season in review

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar

2008-09 Season in review

A whole lot to say, I am sure. At least the pain is over.

Time for some football!!!

Well, we got off to a pretty good 3-0 start. But once we lost that first game to ATL, things just went downhill with losses to Charlotte and Sacramento. The problem was more than just injuries...I think at some point, the players starting losing confidence in the coach and his system. I don't really see our situation getting any better, given how Shinn wants to avoid paying the luxury tax...we probably won't be able to improve our roster until Peja and Chandler's contracts expire (unless we can miraculously trade one of them).
    go dores

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    It's easy to say this year was just bad due to injuries, but it wasn't. The Hornets never showed that drive or intensity that they displayed so many times last year. In the last month of the season+playoffs the wagon just de-railed. I think this roster isn't going to change much either. We just don't have the trade chips or cap space to rebuild overnight like we did in 2004, this will be a long and painful 2-3 process most likely. question is, will CP3 be patient with the franchise?

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    this wasn't the same team from last year. cp3 and rasual were the only players that improved. everyone else regressed and were injured. we had chemistry last season. last seasons bench would torch this years version in a pickup game. our defense was non existant, we lost athleticism, got older and bought into the offseason hype. we fell apart and backed into the playoffs.

from the start.

missing pargo.

tyson hurting from the start.

mike james sucked

ad didnt do much more

ju ju regressed in scotts mind

mo pete no where to be found

thank goodnes the butler improved

to much on chris pauls hands

not enough rest for paul

posey over played

bad coaching all year long. we got lucky a lot of the time, and we lost at least 10 games that show how bad we are coached.
    Micheal Jordan my all time favorite player, only watched him play 1 time in my life. We are lucky to have the opportunity to watch Chris Paul and now Anthony Davis!!!

A bench that got WORSE instead of better. And add the fact that TC's foot just started disintegrating and Peja had a pretty bad season injury wise. And no help from anyone else apart from DW and CP3, which not only tired them out but messed with their heads.

We imploded, worse than the 03-04 season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

now that it's over, let's remember the good times...

IMO the NBA is the league where you hear the most about good teams that weren't quite good enough. people remember teams like phoenix in the early 90s or even now fondly even though they were just contenders, or like when golden state was "Run TMC" or the late 90s Knicks and Heat, people remember that more than baseball and football teams that achieved at a similar level.

i mean we did win 50 games.

my 5 best wins of the season: 11-21 @ OKC- we whooped them on ESPN in our first game back there and got their coach fired, 12-17 SA- chris paul set the consecutive games with a steal record, 11-1 CLE- after the home opener we thought posey would be worth every penny of his deal, 1-2 @ POR- the game where tyson chandler got ejected and surprisingly we went on the decisive run to win in a very tough building, and 1-6 @ LAL- we thought this win would give us momentum and reestablish us as the contender to the lakers.

plus the game-winning shots like DX at Indiana, CP3 at home vs. Indiana and at OKC, Rasual at Sacramento and Miami, and Tyson's tipin vs. Milwaukee
    Last edited by SuperBMG; 04-30-2009 at 05:40 AM.
    WELCOME TO NOISE ORLEANS

Hornets season in hindsight:

Expected to be top 3 out west again.

Thought they could cruise..

Wow, how did you get that pineapple inside your ankle Tyson?

DX!!, you smoked the whole spliff again? You're gonna regret it come tip-off...

Hey Peja, why you only score 20ppg when West is injured?

You *******s tried to trade Tyson, We're not in Kansas anymore..

Tyson's healthy, we kick *** (7 game streak)

Tyson put a pumpkin in his ankle this time, you're a ****ing magician Tyson...

Yay, we made the playoffs, we still kick ***, Denver aren't real contenders either..

Ouch, my *** hurts, I only bent over for a second and...

Oh, it's the offseason already?

Better than last year! :yes:

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    Better than last year! :yes:

Hell yea!! Now lets blow it up in the offseason and get even better!

How is staying pat going to help?

/NIH was right.

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    How is staying pat going to help?

/NIH was right.

Haha, the story isn't over yet
    Last edited by Impose; 04-30-2009 at 10:12 PM.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose
    Hornets season in hindsight:

Expected to be top 3 out west again.

Thought they could cruise..

Wow, how did you get that pineapple inside your ankle Tyson?

DX!!, you smoked the whole spliff again? You're gonna regret it come tip-off...

Hey Peja, why you only score 20ppg when West is injured?

You *******s tried to trade Tyson, We're not in Kansas anymore..

Tyson's healthy, we kick *** (7 game streak)

Tyson put a pumpkin in his ankle this time, you're a ****ing magician Tyson...

Yay, we made the playoffs, we still kick ***, Denver aren't real contenders either..

Ouch, my *** hurts, I only bent over for a second and...

Oh, it's the offseason already?
    LMAO

I'm not angry, I am sad, the team was not able to keep the games they lost close, all blowouts, and even though they are humans, it sucks for the fan to watch it happen.

I just hate when your underrated team exceeds expectations one season, and then an year later the media, and even us, the fans, overrate the squad... so then if it doesn't reach the finals, it fails to meet expectations, this is what happened this season, and it became something to be sad about.

I actually feel good that this season is over, the team needs to be fixed and improved, I don't think it needs any mayor changes like some of you point out, and even with me thinking this, there is a big chance that the team could very well get worse during the offseason... I hope it doesn't.

I hope next year the team that made me believe returns, the 2007-2008 New Orleans Hornets were something to be proud of, this one... I don't really know.

It's gonna be a long wait.

Thread Information