Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: TYSON FAILS PHYSICAL; BACK WITH HORNETS {merged - post 401 medical update}

If you read the other YHT articles on the trade rescission, they got an outside opinion also to confirm this.

Chandler's been hindered by that toe injury and it's just a matter of time before it gets re-injured and worse.

His foot condition is not a good thing and will continue to limit his play the rest of his career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3917505
    After examining Chandler's left big toe, Dr. Carlan Yates, Oklahoma City's team physician, determined that the risk of re-injury was too great to give Chandler a clean bill of health. He therefore advised the Thunder to rescind Tuesday's trade that landed them Chandler for Joe Smith, Chris Wilcox and the rights to Devon Hardin.

"This is absolutely crazy," Chandler said in a telephone conversation Wednesday night. "I'm super shocked. This is nuts."

Chandler, 26, was baffled by Yates' ruling in part because Yates performed surgery on Chandler's big left toe in April of 2007 when the Hornets were playing in Oklahoma City. Chandler played 79 games the following season and while he's missed 19 games this season, none have been because of his toe.

"He said he doesn't know how long I'll last," Chandler said in reference to Yates. "He told me, 'I have no doubt you can play on it. I'm just saying it could take a turn for the worse if you come down on somebody's foot or hyperextend it or something.'"

Chandler was bothered by the toe in last season's playoffs and withdrew from Team USA over the summer.

Chandler said he initially planned to return from his ankle injury within the next three games because he felt the Hornets were slipping in the standings without him.

"But after all this, I'm not rushing back," he said. "I'm not 100 percent yet, so I think its best just to get healthy."

>------------------------------<
    http://www.newsok.com/okc-thunders-t...asthead_topten
    "There were some things in the medical process, and outside consultants, that gave us some concern.”

I don't like that last quote but in the end that might the right thing to do. If that injury has still not healed, maybe we'd better of letting it healed "completely" (if that's possible) so starting next year, he can play up to the end of his contract relatively injury-free. I'd rather see that than watch him rushing back and get injured again and rush back again and get injured again and again and again... and in the end play around 50% of the season and bring not much because he is not healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by thefuture
    Time to prove them (and me) wrong, Tyson

and on a side note, why not just amputate that damned toe

"If you want a toe, I can get you a toe"

Welcome back TC. I think the blunder simply had buyer's remorse with TC. I don't doubt his injury is a cause for concern. But I think they looked a gift horse in the mouth and got scared. Their loss is our gain.

Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    If you read the other YHT articles on the trade rescission, they got an outside opinion also to confirm this.

Chandler's been hindered by that toe injury and it's just a matter of time before it gets re-injured and worse.

His foot condition is not a good thing and will continue to limit his play the rest of his career.

"This is absolutely crazy," Chandler said
    "He said he doesn't know how long I'll last," Chandler said in reference to Yates. "He told me, 'I have no doubt you can play on it. I'm just saying it could take a turn for the worse if you come down on somebody's foot or hyperextend it or something.'"

Chandler was bothered by the toe in last season's playoffs and withdrew from Team USA over the summer.
    Speculation.

Chandler said he initially planned to return from his ankle injury within the next three games because he felt the Hornets were slipping in the standings without him.

"But after all this, I'm not rushing back," he said. "I'm not 100 percent yet, so I think its best just to get healthy."

"There were some things in the medical process, and outside consultants, that gave us some concern.”[/QUOTE]

I don't understand how people can see that this trade was killed by the Thunder because of injury concerns and STILL say this move was about money.

Houston tried to do the same thing with McGrady until he went on national tv and said he was having season ending surgery. Was Houston trying to cut salary as well?

Now Tyson says it will take him longer than 3 games to get back. Is anyone surprised?

So wait... he said that he planned to come back in 3 games or so... now the doctor says his toe will be a porblem (which NOW ITS NOT THE PROBLEM)... he says he'll go ahead and get healthy.

While I agree that he should wait til he's ready... I do believe he should have kept this information to himself, because now it sounds like he has resentment, and we don't need that.

Please trade this bum to somebody I don't care if we only get cash considerations and a king-sized bag of Skittles...

Quote Originally Posted by kidjock
    I don't understand how people can see that this trade was killed by the Thunder because of injury concerns and STILL say this move was about money.

Houston tried to do the same thing with McGrady until he went on national tv and said he was having season ending surgery. Was Houston trying to cut salary as well?

Now Tyson says it will take him longer than 3 games to get back. Is anyone surprised?

You know I never thought about it. I kinda just thought the team really didn't think McGrady had an injury. You are right though, Houston was trying to do exactly what we tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is once you have a condition (like in Dale Earnhardt's case, death), you can't change it. In TC's case, I'm sure he will play at some point...maybe even play well (like he did prior to going down again)....and then be hurt...and then play...and then be hurt. Maybe I'm reading too much into what seems to be a trend (lingering injuries) but I just have a hard time seeing TC stay healthy for long periods. Big men with lingering wheel problems struggle to stay healthy and play consistently when they can play.
    HH I really value your opinions and posts on these boards. But, comparing a foot injury to the death of the best stock car driver in history is reaching a little.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3917505
    After examining Chandler's left big toe, Dr. Carlan Yates, Oklahoma City's team physician, determined that the risk of re-injury was too great to give Chandler a clean bill of health. He therefore advised the Thunder to rescind Tuesday's trade that landed them Chandler for Joe Smith, Chris Wilcox and the rights to Devon Hardin.

"This is absolutely crazy," Chandler said in a telephone conversation Wednesday night. "I'm super shocked. This is nuts."

Chandler, 26, was baffled by Yates' ruling in part because Yates performed surgery on Chandler's big left toe in April of 2007 when the Hornets were playing in Oklahoma City. Chandler played 79 games the following season and while he's missed 19 games this season, none have been because of his toe.

"There were some things in the medical process, and outside consultants, that gave us some concern.”
    the league should look into the doctors decision. OKC was already on my hate list, now they are going to stay there.

ESPN has a blog going today covering the trade deadline, and Chad Ford had this to say...

"Finally, this question, after the Tyson Chandler trade was rescinded: Is there any chance that Chandler could be traded again by Thursday?

One GM, speaking on condition of anonymity, told me he spoke with the Thunder and thought they were extremely conservative in their diagnosis of Chandler. Although he hadn't seen the medical evidence, he felt, based on his conversations with the Thunder, that the team might have overreacted to the center's turf toe issue."

Interesting....
    the Legend has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam the Legend
    ESPN has a blog going today covering the trade deadline, and Chad Ford had this to say...

"Finally, this question, after the Tyson Chandler trade was rescinded: Is there any chance that Chandler could be traded again by Thursday?

One GM, speaking on condition of anonymity, told me he spoke with the Thunder and thought they were extremely conservative in their diagnosis of Chandler. Although he hadn't seen the medical evidence, he felt, based on his conversations with the Thunder, that the team might have overreacted to the center's turf toe issue."

Interesting....

Great News if it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam the Legend

Interesting....
    I wonder if that means they may have gotten an offer they like better for the expiring contracts. I would bet you see one of both of those expiring contracts dealt today.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzking22
    I wonder what Shinn is thinking right now?
    I wonder what he's DRINKING right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mankind2706
    I wonder what he's DRINKING right now.

Reply of the day.

I was waiting til I saw the Orlando game (absolutely great game btw) before I went back on the internets ... and than I see this. WTF? I was actually looking forward to Wilcox and Smith ... especially after last nights game. And now? We have TC back and we don't know when he'll be back on the floor and how good he is ...

This kinda sucks ...

Talk about a team guy...screw my teammates, the ones that were sad when I left because I'm pissed that the front office traded me. Nice.

I too had started to look forward to having 2 healthy players players on the court

instead of 0.

I'm happy cause the team is too.....

but when I think of Chandler on the court.....

I see him holding his arms out, walking towards the bench,arguing his second foul in the first 6 minutes

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    I dont necessairly think TC's quote about not rushing back is because he has resentment for the HORNETS. Tyson is not that kind of guy.

I think its probably that he is shell shocked right now by the whole situation, especiallly they fact that the OKC doctors basically told him "YOU ARE DAMAGED GOODS FOR THE REST OF YOUR CAREER!" Right or wrong, (as its been reported they may have overreacted) thats enough to scare a guy whose jobs on the line if he gets hurt again.

OF course he's gonna say, "I better be completely healthy when i come back!"

Now we learn a few things. For one, that it might be a tad awkward for Smith, Wilcox and Chandler to head home -- their teams just celebrated their departures!

And don't you think the Hornets wish, now, that they would have admitted the trade was about money? Instead, they told everyone they really wanted Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox. But hey, Tyson, buddy ... we didn't really mean that.

I wonder if perhaps we also learn a little something about why the Hornets may have been willing to make a lopsided trade. Not that they were trying to dupe the Thunder, but if the medical staff has long-term worries about Chandler, then that might be one more reason to make a move.

And while Thunder fans are the ones hanging their heads tonight, I wonder whether it isn't Hornets fans who find themselves in the bigger pickle. Now we know the Hornets -- a team on delicate financial footing -- are likely to be spending more than they think they should, and a lot of that will be going to a big man who has some kind of long-term health concerns. And even with a healthy Chandler, the Hornets needed another quality big man. The future was annoying after the cost-cutting trade that would cost the team a year of contention. But now, with money and health problems, the joy of Chandler's return has to be laced with a couple of profound new worries.

Peja Stojakovic, anyone?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...-Chandler.html
    How true this is...

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    I wonder if that means they may have gotten an offer they like better for the expiring contracts. I would bet you see one of both of those expiring contracts dealt today.
    Same here. It would suck because I think those two would have been nice additions to the team. Just more reasons fro me to hate the Okies.

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481
    I think its probably that he is shell shocked right now by the whole situation, especiallly they fact that the OKC doctors basically told him "YOU ARE DAMAGED GOODS FOR THE REST OF YOUR CAREER!" Right or wrong, (as its been reported they may have overreacted) thats enough to scare a guy whose jobs on the line if he gets hurt again.
    This is a very good point. I was completely against the trade, but hearing the report from the doctors has me concerned with what we're stuck with.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg
    So wait... he said that he planned to come back in 3 games or so... now the doctor says his toe will be a porblem (which NOW ITS NOT THE PROBLEM)... he says he'll go ahead and get healthy.

While I agree that he should wait til he's ready... I do believe he should have kept this information to himself, because now it sounds like he has resentment, and we don't need that.

Please trade this bum to somebody I don't care if we only get cash considerations and a king-sized bag of Skittles...
    i wish this trade would have went thru. TC is not that good of a basketball player
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Lafayett(school), Pineville (temporary), New Orleans(home sweet home)
    Championship!

Ahhhh Physicals! I was on the fence about the trade anyways, so my thoughts haven't changed.

Let's get that BUZZ goin again

he can still be traded by 3, so lets not get too emotional either way yet

Lafayett(school), Pineville (temporary), New Orleans(home sweet home)
    SABOTAGE BY THE OKIES?

Thread Information