Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder acquires Tyson Chandler from the Hornets {multi-merged reactions}

Quote Originally Posted by stbviper22
    The news just said we did it for depth on the frontline like i have been saying. If it was a salary dump, it could have been done in the offseason but it wasnt because they feel wilcox/smith gives us a better shot at winning than just chandler.
    You can't trade Chandler for an expiring contract during the offseason since that contract pretty much already expired, unless you want to postpone that for a year or find a team that is way under the salary cap.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    Wanting to see CP3 on the big stage and will give him a title are two different things. Really. They are. I mean really. For real.
    We'll have a chance to win a title then won't we?

Here are a few key things I heard Bower say in his interview.

1. The Tyson trade was purely a basketball decision (Laughing)
    2. He didn't believe we were on track with the current team to make a run at a title

I'm going to stop there...with that said...does he think the current team can make a run at the title? And if the trade was a basketball decision to make us better contenders this year then I think we have to make another deal; acquiring a wing that can create his own shot before we can actually call this team a contender. IMO.

I love this trade Chandler is nothing special wilcox is a better player, joe smith is a good back up, we got better not worse. Chandler was a good guy but he was just not doing it.

i think what he is saying is that the pre-tyson team wasnt a contender and there was no need to pay luxury for a non title contending team. thats my take

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjones
    I love this trade Chandler is nothing special wilcox is a better player, joe smith is a good back up, we got better not worse. Chandler was a good guy but he was just not doing it.
    He's like the 5th backup center we have though. We have way too many centers and forwards.

Where fairies happen Contributor whoah whoah's Avatar
    Gerry V's take from his forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Vman
    *New Edition as of trade :

Thoughts on the Tyson Trade...

1- Good luxury cap move which is part of the new reality with the crazy economy.

2- Wilcox is athletic and Smith can decently shoot the ball

3- Both bring depth and size.Which is sorely needed.

4- Both can Pick and roll and run the floor.

5- Gives you more bigs to battle the frontlines of the West

6- Million dollar question will be are the Hornets a better team ?
    Will our defense suffer ?......answer........makes you a lil more rugged and deeper... you are not worse off with the deal.....Wilcox can pick and catch lobs....you get two experienced bigs for one and saves your luxury cap ( expiring contracts) As far as defense that we'll have to evaluate once they dress out. I want to see them blend in this area...Tyson is a terrific person and I will miss not having him around. A pleasure to have spent time with him. But I cannot break my FIRST COMMANDMENT when it comes to players...."Never get emotionally attached to a player for the wrong reasons"

the 32 game run is here !

GV
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3
    you eat so good. you're always gonna eat good. I kid a lot, everything is spicy, the fruit loops even have some kick to em
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James
    We played pretty good defense. We bottled him [Paul] up, but with eyes in the back of his head, he found David West"

Quote Originally Posted by jmaninc68
    i hate it when people try to predict the future, just chill out watch the games and lets see what happens
    I agree. People saying both guys we acquired will leave, saying we won't do this and won't do that. Just chill out and enjoy the rest of the season. You won't be able to properly assess this trade for another year or two anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA Champs
    Here are a few key things I heard Bower say in his interview.

1. The Tyson trade was purely a basketball decision (Laughing)
    2. He didn't believe we were on track with the current team to make a run at a title

I'm going to stop there...with that said...does he think the current team can make a run at the title? And if the trade was a basketball decision to make us better contenders this year then I think we have to make another deal; acquiring a wing that can create his own shot before we can actually call this team a contender. IMO.
    Good to know he realizes his own failure.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispaulCP3
    He's like the 5th backup center we have though. We have way too many centers and forwards.
    Of course but Wilcox can play and so can Joe Smith, Bowen, Marks, Armstrong are all useless if they are not having a career night. I really dont even care about Smith in this deal Wilcox is a steal, he can be a 20 10 guy Tyson never could, he may not be as good on the defensive end but im sure it wont be as apparent. Not to mention he is still very young this trade is a steal

The fact of the matter is we were NOT going to win a championship with the team we had. West, Paul, Peja, and Chandler were not going to be able to beat Kobe and Company in a 7 game series period.

So once we realized that what do we do? Start over and build around our two All-Stars (Cp3, D-West) Shedding Chandlers contract was a step in the right direction for our future. Tyson will never give you a better year then he had last year and from here on out he will be an *overpaid* average center with above average defense and subpar offense.

We have over 12 Million dollars worth of expiring contracts for the famous 2010 Free Agency Period this is where we will be able to aquire some value through trading these contracts or keeping them and signing some players via FA. Not to mention we will have more money then we can handle for the 2011 Free Agency Period (The year before we need to resign CP3.) This gives us a chance to have two consecutive summers to put pieces around Cp3 to try and keep him in NO for the remainder of his career.
    Had we kept Tyson's contract around we would have been restricted to make any kind of moves until at least 2011 and would have been 1 and done every year in the playoffs until then. This trade put's us in position to build a better team then what we wouldve had with tyson by the time CP3 needs to sign his extension with us.

Love it or hate it we would not have won with Tyson. And his contract was restricting us from adding any addititonal pieces that could help us win until he came off the books in 2011.

Im happy with the trade. Yes we won't win this year anymore, but we werent going to with tyson either way. So why not move on and give us some flexibility to make moves for the future and trade Tyson while his value is the highest it ever will be. Besides Wilcox will give us decent production from C and our backup C just got 10x better and depth was really killing us at that position.

And we got a promising young prospect who has the "Potential" to be a contributer in 2 or 3 years. This kid has huge upside and playing overseas will really help him develop his game and be able to come and and contribute as soon as he comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilder
    The fact of the matter is we were NOT going to win a championship with the team we had. West, Paul, Peja, and Chandler were not going to be able to beat Kobe and Company in a 7 game series period.

So once we realized that what do we do? Start over and build around our two All-Stars (Cp3, D-West) Shedding Chandlers contract was a step in the right direction for our future. Tyson will never give you a better year then he had last year and from here on out he will be an *overpaid* average center with above average defense and subpar offense.

We have over 12 Million dollars worth of expiring contracts for the famous 2010 Free Agency Period this is where we will be able to aquire some value through trading these contracts or keeping them and signing some players via FA. Not to mention we will have more money then we can handle for the 2011 Free Agency Period (The year before we need to resign CP3.) This gives us a chance to have two consecutive summers to put pieces around Cp3 to try and keep him in NO for the remainder of his career.
    Had we kept Tyson's contract around we would have been restricted to make any kind of moves until at least 2011 and would have been 1 and done every year in the playoffs until then. This trade put's us in position to build a better team then what we wouldve had with tyson by the time CP3 needs to sign his extension with us.

Love it or hate it we would not have won with Tyson. And his contract was restricting us from adding any addititonal pieces that could help us win until he came off the books in 2011.

Im happy with the trade. Yes we won't win this year anymore, but we werent going to with tyson either way. So why not move on and give us some flexibility to make moves for the future and trade Tyson while his value is the highest it ever will be. Besides Wilcox will give us decent production from C and our backup C just got 10x better and depth was really killing us at that position.

And we got a promising young prospect who has the "Potential" to be a contributer in 2 or 3 years. This kid has huge upside and playing overseas will really help him develop his game and be able to come and and contribute as soon as he comes back.
    This is all that needs to be said, excellent post.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    After reading all posts, I agree that Cwilder. TC definitely has to produce more for the contract. I think Wilcox can blossom here. Let's wait and see how the team jells. Yes, Cp loved playing with TC, but he is all about winning. If this helps us in the long run, he'll be happy.

lol how in the hell do any of you know if we werent gonna win a championship with Tyson? Thats so mind boggling how people are trying to justify this pointless act with that logic. Reality is, ITS ONE HALF of a season.....Secondly TYSON was coming around before he got injured, but no one notices that, THIRD I garauntee you that whatever BS motive this franchise is trying to accomplish, WONT WORK, because we are a worse team than we were with tyson, and WE WONT win a championship because of frikin first round picks, we win a championship with A SOLID POISED EXPERIENCED CENTER....even if you dont think tyson is any of that, a frikin first round pick DEFINATELY isnt that no matter what the hell he has potentially, and who even knows if we even get anyone worth it....its sad to say but it is what it is. Everyone knows the hornets for doing stupid moves in their history...this is another one and CP is not going to stay with an organization that does stupid moves...enjoy him while hes here

Banned
    why are poeple acting like Tyson wasD Howard...he only avg 8 pts and 8 reb a game...chill out..I like the trade we now have a little depth at the big man spots.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I wonder, are we posturing ourselves to make a run at the big bunch that'll be free agents in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805
    I wonder, are we posturing ourselves to make a run at the big bunch that'll be free agents in a year?
    No, as we will not have the cap room.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    No, as we will not have the cap room.
    Why won't we? I've broken down the contracts and numbers that fall off in the next two years. So again, why won't we?

Gerry's tune sure has changed....

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    Why won't we? I've broken down the contracts and numbers that fall off in the next two years. So again, why won't we?
    The Hornets are in worse shape for next season than we were/are for this season.

We're still over the cap and NOW we don't have a legit center on our roster.

Next year will be really rough.

Banned
    say bye-bye to julian wright and peja ))

David Lee is a FA next year right?

I know that's like an utopia if it happens..... but maybe we could get him for the full MLE?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven79
    The Hornets are in worse shape for next season than we were/are for this season.

We're still over the cap and NOW we don't have a legit center on our roster.

Next year will be really rough.
    Wilcox is actually more of a center than chandler. Chandler is a good center but has horrible size to play center.
    HORNETS ALL THE WAY IN 08!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supermati
    David Lee is a FA next year right?

I know that's like an utopia if it happens..... but maybe we could get him for the full MLE?
    Lee is easily getting a 10+mil year contract, an MLE wouldn't even sniff that.

Quote Originally Posted by stbviper22
    Wilcox is actually more of a center than chandler. Chandler is a good center but has horrible size to play center.
    Again, Wilcox is gone after 30 games. He won't be here next year. We traded Chandler for nothing.

Thread Information