Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder acquires Tyson Chandler from the Hornets {multi-merged reactions}

go look um up. last year we finished 16th in rebounding.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statis...ue&season=2008

we probably were not ranked any better than 16th this season. go and pull up the stats for how we were ranked this year.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    And Peja, Posey, and Mo aren't worth their contracts either. TC's isn't that bad for a 26 year old center who's been among the league's leading rebounders. Centers are paid higher than most players and this was true with TC.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I kind of like the trade. First off, I love Wilcox. He will bring something this team just straight up did not have.

He is a month older than Chandler, so we didn't get younger or older. He will most likely be our starting C. He is a better scorer than Tyson, and I think he could match or outproduce his rebounding. Maybe.

Joe Smith. The vet, I think people are underestimating him. I think he will come in and be a good reserve for these final games. He is averaging 7 points and 5 boards a game in 19 minutes.

The key is that neither of these guys may be back next season. That is what gets at me.

but $10 mil, can get depth and better production for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias
    go look um up. last year we finished 16th in rebounding.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statis...ue&season=2008

we probably were not ranked any better than 16th this season. go and pull up the stats for how we were ranked this year.
    So you support going form mediocre to awful? It's really a shame that this trade is being defended, New Orleans will never hold its teams to a higher standard.

Also, OKC has 5 1st round picks, that's right 5. How the hell did we not aquire one?

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    Not a fluke but heavily CP3/DW influenced. TC isn't the rebounder he was 2 years ago and he's only 26. Maybe, injuries were the problem. Either way, he wasn't worth $12M per.
    You won't hear me say that he was worth the money. But to belittle what he did and his impact is uncalled for. He played a crucial role in our success last season. To say Chandler had no effect in the team's success is ignorant.

wilcox avg. 22 min a game 9.5 pts, and 5.4 rebs a game without cp3. look forward to even better numbers now that he will get the lions share of minuits, he is in a contract year, and he is playing with a better cast than ever.

wilcox avg. 22 min a game 9.5 pts, and 5.4 rebs a game without cp3. look forward to even better numbers now that he will get the lions share of minuits, he is in a contract year, and he is playing with a better cast than ever.
    That's great and all but did you consider the pace difference and the type of offense he was in compared to the one he's in now?

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    So you support going form mediocre to awful? It's really a shame that this trade is being defended, New Orleans will never hold its teams to a higher standard.

No, I am just calling you out on your bogus claim that we were a great rebounding team with tc. Fact proves we were not even middle of the pac. drop the unbased claims.

I don't know why we couldn't land a pick. That upsets me as well.

We're not saying Wilcox won't be a good player for us, UNO. The problem is we aquired no picks from OKC, and we will most likely lose both of these guys in the offseason. The remant of this trade will be Devon Hardon.

No, I am just calling you out on your bogus claim that we were a great rebounding team with tc. Fact proves we were not even middle of the pac. drop the unbased claims.

I don't know why we couldn't land a pick. That upsets me as well.
    Can you point to where I said this was a great rebounding team?

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet
    Y'all are seriously overrating tc defensive presence. For 27 million over the next 2 I expect the guy to have some type of post game. He doesn't. And whoever said tc post game is better than wilcox I'd completly wrong. TC is also have injury problems. I don't blame shinn for dumping salary. We are going to playoffs and will be eliminated in the first or second round. This is going to happen with of without tc on the team.

Not me! 1.4 blocks per game doesn't really scare the crap out of guys coming to the basket. There were NUMEROUS times guys would get layups, and TC would be just standing there watching. I'll bet Camby wouldn't stand there and watch... neither would Wilcox...

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet
    That's great and all but did you consider the pace difference and the type of offense he was in compared to the one he's in now?

Yeah, I even posted it. He is coming into an organization with better players, better coaching, and more chances to excell.

What's a shame is short-sightedness. Or settling for mediocre instead of making a painful move now for better options later. Sounds like your "higher standard" is the glorious satisfactions of an immediate second round exit rather than an eventual NBA championship.

But rest assured, the league wants to see CP3 in the finals, and they want him to do it in New Orleans. They push him more than almost any other player in the league. They already have the press releases diagrammed for how they supported New Orleans after Katrina and such and such...

We dropped to 30th in rebounding without TC, 26th in offensive rebounding, and were giving uo 49-50% of the oppositions points in the paint. If you say TC didn't make a difference you don't know basketball.

like this?

We're not saying Wilcox won't be a good player for us, UNO. The problem is we aquired no picks from OKC, and we will most likely lose both of these guys in the offseason. The remant of this trade will be Devon Hardon.

Last time I saw we held some players rights we landed the guy in your avater.

NIH ... calm down a bit, or you're getting a heart attack .

On the surface, this an absolute punch to the gut of the New Orleans Hornets fanbase. We trade away our only seven-footer, the only guy on the roster who could lock up the Tim Duncans or Pau Gasols. We traded away Chris Paul's friend, half of "The Crescent City Connection." From the average fan's standpoint, this trade hurts.

It's not that I don't like the players we get in return. Both are capable big men that offer things Tyson did not. But both are free agents at the end of the season. So what good, on the court, does this serve for this basketball team this year or next? Not much. That's why this pill is so tough to swallow, even if from a financial standpoint it helps the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dat 3
    people are missing the point. its not about tyson leaving. its about the way the team ahs been run.

we went from young and promising to old, unathletic and in trouble. and fast. now we have a ton of holes to fill this season and in the offseason, and now we have to be concerned with keeping cp3 happy.

At least with chandler we knew we had a chance to reach the conf. finals....now we are hoping to make the playoffs.

These are my concerns. Although, I don't think CP will be too disgruntled if they make a move for a big man in the offseason.

The hornets are a smart team. people want to bash on the front office and bs as much as they want but remember the work they did to get from 4 years ago to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube
    The right, how to say, mindset? Or do you think, just when a team is sixth (with all the injuries etc etc) in its conference, this will automatically make it a contender? Seriously? In this western conference? Or even in the eastern? Who's sixth there? The pistons? Hail to the new contenders! No, really, this maybe could have been true last year, where there were teams like houston and utah at 4th and 5th, or even the suns at the 6th, but this year i do sincerely see as contenders the celtics, the cavs, the lakers, the spurs and maybe the magic. Other teams? Unlikely to happen. And we would have been blown out with that chandler even by the nuggets, probably; this team struggled all season long, and the feeling about it was clearly of disappointment, and much of it had to do with chandler, who has been underperforming since his, what, 3rd game? Posey brought often not much more other than treys, maybe defense and a fat overpaid contract (but we're used to overpay players), actually, the team seemed to have the wrong mindset if compared to the one of the last year. And about the contender thing, remember what phil jackson said, that a contender is the team that reaches 40 wins before reaching 20 losses. And I think he knows the game better'n anyone on this board. Now, sorry but it's late here, i'm gonna sleep a bit, this trade has really made me tired, somehow..goodnight
    You said all of that but the fact remains. If you're in the playoffs you're contending for a title. I've seen teams that were 1st record-wise in their respective conference and take a first round exit. Why? Because anything can happen once teams 1-8 are playing for that ring. Now if the Hornets take a nose dive in the standings because of this trade then I will look back at this trade and question it. But until then, you can't sit there and say the Hornets (when playing good team basketball) can't get to the NBA Finals. They have just as many good players as some of the other Wester Conference teams. Not to mention, this gives Scott and the FO some time to evaluate the big men we do have here and see which guys we wanna offer money to in the offseason. At least we have depth at the 4 and 5 positions like we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    What's a shame is short-sightedness. Or settling for mediocre instead of making a painful move now for better options later. Sounds like your "higher standard" is the glorious satisfactions of an immediate second round exit rather than an eventual NBA championship.

But rest assured, the league wants to see CP3 in the finals, and they want him to do it in New Orleans. They push him more than almost any other player in the league. They already have the press releases diagrammed for how they supported New Orleans after Katrina and such and such...
    Short sightedness? Jeff Bower is ALL about the short term. This is why we've been stuck with Peja, Mo, and Posey's huge contracts.

Also, do you know this move is for Shinn to simply get under the salary cap? We still don't nearly have enough cash to make any big signings.

As for that last paragraph, just wow. lol

Wilcox use to be real good actually - now he's not so good. Pretty bad trade. I have never even heard of Joe Smith? Overall, bad trade.

The hornets are a smart team. people want to bash on the front office and bs as much as they want but remember the work they did to get from 4 years ago to now.
    They drafted CP3.

Thread Information