Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder acquires Tyson Chandler from the Hornets {multi-merged reactions}

I would have rather traded west for those 2 guys....

glad to see we care more about money than being competitve. what has the NBA come to?

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias
    Hilton can't be the answer because after 3 years he is showing more than just promise...he is showing results?

This move shouldn't be shocking, or considered bad if you know the cap dealings.

I think we got fair market value for a guy who in 8 years had 2 good years. Lets see how he does without cp3.
    We didn't get fair market value for him unless he is damaged goods. This is like the BD trade in the sense that we cleared cap space. The two guys coming in likely won't be here beyond this season. Fair market value does not equal a salary dump, at least not in this case.

Time for some football!!!

Why can't Hilton be the answer? How long did it take tyson to become something? Hilton is only in his 3rd year. If your going to say TC had a world of potential after 8 seasons you need to give the same amount to Hilton.

I like Hilt.
    Are you kidding me? Do you watch the players play at all? Chandler became very good when placed on this team. He did it his first year here. Armstrong has been here 3 years and shows little progress. He needs to get stronger and more focused. He will have one great game and three terrible games. He loses focus and seems lazy at times. Wilcox should do pretty well in this offense, but it will not be for long.

Swaggin' ya face off Contributor Dollar Theater's Avatar
    Why can't Hilton be the answer?

There are old women that are stronger than Hilton.

Saints and Hornets in cost cutting mode ===

me in cost cutting mode. I've cancelled my season tickets to save money. I can use the extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    We didn't get fair market value for him unless he is damaged goods. This is like the BD trade in the sense that we cleared cap space. The two guys coming in likely won't be here beyond this season. Fair market value does not equal a salary dump, at least not in this case.
    WCH, you don't think the Hornet's FO are interested in re-signing either guy?
    "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" Muhammad Ali

I think most people are over reacting. Tyson is good but i believe most of that is because of Chris. He wasn't anything really spectacular in Chicago and i remember how the buzz around him was that they were surprised by the way he was playing. As for next season we will have to see what the front office does. But we have 2 big men that at least have some sort of offensive presence. Tyson is not worth 27 million or so for the next 2 years. 27 million for defense? Not really worth it. Although i like Tyson i'm not so concerned with losing him. I don't think anyone would really give up a first rounder for a one dimensional player. This will all pan out when we start winning again. I promise you Tyson will not be the same player with OKC. Chris elevates everyone's game. The definition of a true MVP! That being said......Geaux Hornets!!!!!
    BLESS

Hall of Famer Contributor Ry4598's Avatar
    On a side note, I actually like Wilcox a lot...

He is 10x better offensively than Tyson is...defensively is another story...

Plus...

Joe Smith >>>> Hilton/Marks/Bowen/Ely

Defense is gonna take a hit with this trade. But offense should get a boost..

But as someone said - short term fix to what is gonna be a long term problem...

Tyson is not even in the top 20 rated Centers based on John Hollingers stats.
    Win shares based on basketball ref 2006 7.7; 2007 9.7; 2008 2.7

Like it or not his stats are down. I'm still not for this trade, just wanted to get some stats out there.

Quote Originally Posted by djbless77
    I think most people are over reacting. Tyson is good but i believe most of that is because of Chris. He wasn't anything really spectacular in Chicago and i remember how the buzz around him was that they were surprised by the way he was playing. As for next season we will have to see what the front office does. But we have 2 big men that at least have some sort of offensive presence. Tyson is not worth 27 million or so for the next 2 years. 27 million for defense? Not really worth it. Although i like Tyson i'm not so concerned with losing him. I don't think anyone would really give up a first rounder for a one dimensional player. This will all pan out when we start winning again. I promise you Tyson will not be the same player with OKC. Chris elevates everyone's game. The definition of a true MVP! That being said......Geaux Hornets!!!!!
    Well he is not a miracle worker as he has not elevated Hilton's game to that of a starting center. Also, we are not talking about just offense. Defense is where we will suffer.

I think it's the implication that we're giving away another player to save money. One who is still young, and still developing. That bothers alot of people and rightfully so. Was he overpaid, of course! 95% of the guys in professional sports are overpaid. Seeing a young promising player basically given away, to OKC of all places rubs alot of Hornets fans the wrong way for a bevy of reasons, most notably the idea that the team is giving up on this season for the sake of saving money on the back end. It may help us on the balance sheets, but it will not help us on the court or at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Keewon
    What I don't understand is how they didn't see that coming. If our team has no financial problem as some of our wisest posters are saying, then what is that all about? Didn't they realize when then signed Posey that we would have to pay the luxury tax near? I means if they didn't then we must really have some of the biggest dummies ever in our Front Office. And if it's not about that luxury tax, then what has changed between then and now that forces us to give up on the season without giving it a real shot? Chandler play has decreased this year, nobody denies that but he is not the only one, you can argue that West (rebound?), Peja (ppg?), JuJu (everything it seems?) aren't at the top of their game this year, so why trading him when he plays one of the most difficult positions to fill with a potent player. I just really hate that trade right now. Hopefully Wilcox will be a great match and he's going to make me eat my crown real soon.
    Well thats easily explained. Last summer everybody believed we were this close to a championship, that only Posey was missing. Apparently right now they see, that it ain't happening ... so Shinn said "no way I am going to pay the luxury tax if we are not seriously competing for a championship".

A look at the roster reveals that besides Chris Paul, David West and Tyson Chandler noone had any trade value. Paul and West are untouchable, so Tyson had to go ... its not that his production is the worst of all players. You said it right, Peja, West and Wright all had decreased production. But noone was gonna take Peja and Wright wouldn't have brought the needed financial relief. So again ... Tyson had to go.

That said ... I don't really like this trade. I don't mind trading Tyson. I don't mind getting Smith and Wilcox in return ... but with their abundance of 1st round picks there was no way they could have gotten them to throw one in? Not even the Nuggets or Spurs 2009 picks, which would be in the high 20s?

Thats what bothers me about this trade ...

Was this really the BEST deal out there? Wilcox and Joe Smith? What is he about 45 now? I mean really!?!

Hall of Famer Contributor Ry4598's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigEasy
    Well thats easily explained. Last summer everybody believed we were this close to a championship, that only Posey was missing. Apparently right now they see, that it ain't happening ... so Shinn said "no way I am going to pay the luxury tax if we are not seriously competing for a championship".

A look at the roster reveals that besides Chris Paul, David West and Tyson Chandler noone had any trade value. Paul and West are untouchable, so Tyson had to go ... its not that his production is the worst of all players. You said it right, Peja, West and Wright all had decreased production. But noone was gonna take Peja and Wright wouldn't have brought the needed financial relief. So again ... Tyson had to go.

That said ... I don't really like this trade. I don't mind trading Tyson. I don't mind getting Smith and Wilcox in return ... but with their abundance of 1st round picks there was no way they could have gotten them to throw one in? Not even the Nuggets or Spurs 2009 picks, which would be in the high 20s?

Thats what bothers me about this trade ...
    I agree with this entire post

What a joke and a slap to the face....CP is not going to be happy, way to waste such a talented players years with some bs salary luxury bs talk...get real, its a sport, you play to frikin win...this franchise has proven again it wants to stay mediocre....Cp wont buy it, pray he stays, seriously pray

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven79
    Shinn flat out told season ticket holders at the lunch 2 weeks ago that we were playing to win, that he was in better financial shape than ever before, and that he would never again acquire guys with criminal records or bad apples.
    You need to understand the difference. The organization may be in good financial health from an operational standpoint (revenue, etc.). It has nothing to do with the salary cap. The league establishes that. You could be a Mark Cuban making billions. If the league says the cap is 100 million for example with the tax threshold at 150, Cuban could be making 250 million off of the squad and still pay the tax. Revenue does not control the salary cap.

David West did not want the trade

Swaggin' ya face off Contributor Dollar Theater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigEasy
    Last summer everybody believed we were this close to a championship, that only Posey was missing. Apparently right now they see, that it ain't happening ... so Shinn said "no way I am going to pay the luxury tax if we are not seriously competing for a championship".
    Hey now, don't lump us all into that category. There were a few of us who knew this team needed more than Posey to be a championship team.

I agree with The Big Easy 100%

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Well he is not a miracle worker as he has not elevated Hilton's game to that of a starting center. Also, we are not talking about just offense. Defense is where we will suffer.

Right but when Tyson was in his third year he really wasn't that good either. didn't check the stats to compare the 2 but i think i will....kinda slow today at work. I actually like Hilton...not as our starter but i do like him. We are a pretty good defensive squad. I'd like to see how Joe Smith and Wilcox holds the lane down. Like i said i don't think Tyson is worth 27 mil for 2 more years.

12 million is a lot to pay someone to catch alleys.

2.5 left. CP3.....BOTTOM!!!
    I hope Hilton starts. He plays so much better as a starter.
    I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
    -Mitch Hedberg(R.I.P.)

"Still here dancing with the Googrux King, we'll be drinking Big Whiskey while we dance and sing..."
    -R.I.P. LeRoi Moore(1961-2008)

we trade tyson. now we struggle the rest of the season. barely make the playoffs and lsoe in first round to a bigger team (spurs or lakers or blazers). we then fire scott in the offseason, and bring in a new coach and sign a middle of the road free agent. we then struggle that year and trade peja and posey (who demands a trade to a contender).

this spirals us into rebuilding mode with CP3 looking at the end of his contract. He waits until his deal is done, and then hits the road to a big team in a big market. 4 years later the hornets are struggling looking like we were in 2004.

This was a huge domino, and a huge mistake....simply because we got NOTHING in return.

Thread Information