Pelicans Report

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: Thunder acquires Tyson Chandler from the Hornets {multi-merged reactions}

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP
    The people higher up in the Front Office do not want to win. That is why this team will never win a championship.
    You couldn't be any further from the truth with that statement. While you may disagree with the Chandler trade, it doesn't mean the team doesn't want to win.

How long has Chandler been out with his sprained ankle? Has Chandler's performance dropped this year? Will we have a better chance to win by trading for 2 players who can give us at least what Chandler has this season?

The answers to those questions have just as much to do with the trade as shedding salary to get under the luxury tax threshold. Chandler's injuries are taking longer to heal, his performance has decreased this season and the team believes that the addition of 2 players who can produce at least as well as Chandler did when on the court this season will give us a better chance at winning than keeping Chandler.

I understand the emotional reaction to the trade. I'm not thrilled by it, but I don't think the team is throwing in the towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    They were out of the race 20 games ago. We're a six seed in the west, not to mention the best teams in the east. It's not the NCAA tournament where you can go on a freaky run and all of a sudden, you're Syracuse in the title game. We can't beat the Lakers, Spurs, Cavs, Celtics, or Magic in a seven game series. I'm sure there are a few other teams that would usher us out. Sucks, I know, but reality is what it is. We weren't good enough. The other teams improved more than we did or were already better than we were.
    20 games ago? Gimme a break. Plenty of teams get hot in the second half and some get better with solid moves made at the trade deadline. To say we were out of this 20 games ago is ridiculous. If that were the case, maybe we should never try to make the playoffs because we all know the Lakers should be crowned now. I guess they do not have the possibility of injuries or slumps, only us.

Looking at ESPN's comments, then combining it with what I know; I think the trade is somewhat unfortunate; but could become somewhat savy.
    Believe me, I'm a Hornets fan through and through; but I never drink the turquise kool-aid nor look through the tinted glasses. It did add depth, the Crescent City Connection had been figured out, Chandler was in constant foul trouble ect.

My question is- to Harvey or Gerry is-

Do you think we will bring Devon Hardin in and actually give him a look (given Scott's dispostion w/ younger players)?

per ESPN
    That said, I don't know whether they screwed up their hopes for this season as badly as people think. One of the Hornets' biggest problems was frontcourt depth, so doing a two-for-one deal actually addresses one of their biggest weaknesses. Additionally, Wilcox is a monster finisher on pick-and-roll plays, and I expect to see him and Chris Paul hook up regularly for some thunderous highlight-reel dunks.
    The Hornets should still make the playoffs, but this deal likely does condemn them to a low seeding and a first-round exit. In truth, that's probably where they were headed anyway, and if that's the case, the real cost of this deal won't be until next season, when Smith and Wilcox come off the books and the Hornets will have precious few resources available to conjure up adequate replacements. Grade: C

They were out of the race 20 games ago. We're a six seed in the west, not to mention the best teams in the east. It's not the NCAA tournament where you can go on a freaky run and all of a sudden, you're Syracuse in the title game. We can't beat the Lakers, Spurs, Cavs, Celtics, or Magic in a seven game series. I'm sure there are a few other teams that would usher us out. Sucks, I know, but reality is what it is. We weren't good enough. The other teams improved more than we did or were already better than we were.
    this is the loser mentality that is killing this team....how do u know we cant beat them? Our starting five healthy with tyson is probably the best in the league....CP3 is one of or if not the most competitive player in the NBA....he damn well wouldnt sit here and say. We cant beat this team or that team...Hes not like that...and to have that mentality around a player like this is causing him to think twice about this team...because too many people on this organization make comments like that...now im hearing people say Tyson was never gonna bounce back, when he was averaging a double double RIGHT before he got hurt...but no one notices that...or about our 21-11 record with him, and our under 500 record without him, This is why everyone is disappointed. We dont even get a chance to see what this team can do THIS YEAR, because of something that we have to worry about 3 years later?...How do you even know if CP3 is 100 percent by that time? God forbid he has a horrible injury, then what next? you throw away a chance for him to win a championship because of a business move?....If basketball was such a business, why are there small market teams? Why not just leave it to LA , miami, CLe, Chi, and Boston? The game is played to win, maybe most people dont understand that concept clearly, but its players like Chris Paul with a competitive nature that think that way...and throwing away a season for something really irrelevant to THESE TIMES AT THE MOMENT is not something hes impressed with, and I agree with him

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    What frustrates me the most is how it's being portrayed in the national media. No one, and I mean no one, sees this as a smart basketball move. Not one single sportswriter has tried to look at the other side of this deal, and at this point I really can't blame them.

Has anyone heard anything from the org about this trade? I haven't and that is unacceptable.

Quotes from last night were awful. Coach Scott, West, CP, etc. Not one positive thing was mentioned last night by anyone immediately connected to the franchise. Scott said this was the worst trade in the last nine years. West said he was upset and that we now have a huge question mark in the middle. Paul said we traded away a player that made him better. And it's only going to get worse.

Usually after a controversial trade the franchise will dress up the trade, even if it's impossible to do so. Most of all the coach and players will try to say all the right things, instead they said all the wrong things. Last night Scott and the players should have been reassuring fans and themselves that their goals are not lost this season, that they will do whatever it takes to prove themselves ... instead, they just sulked and complained about it "being a business". Thank you Shinn!

I will be very interested to see how Shinn and company answer for this trade, better yet it will be even more interesting to see how this team reacts.

Not a loser mentality at all...I just want real winning as opposed to the short term view displayed by the two of you. While you pray that the team "gets hot" during the second half, I simply don't think that the team had it this year with little ability to improve the team and when they were at their hottest last year, they still weren't good enough. Furthermore, other teams have gotten better. Call it what you want. But the fact is, some can see past their own hand and some can't see the forest for the trees. To each their own though.

bower said, we were 30th in rebounding and lacked depth....in an email to season ticket holders. he said that played into the trade, and that they studied how smith and wilcox played against portland, lakers and spurs.

but the sad thing is he said "30th in rebounding" at the all star break. he failed to mention that before tyson went down we were not 30th. we sucked, but without tyson we are last. somehow i dont see wilcox and smith saving a last place rebounding team.

Swaggin' ya face off Contributor Dollar Theater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    You couldn't be any further from the truth with that statement. While you may disagree with the Chandler trade, it doesn't mean the team doesn't want to win.

How long has Chandler been out with his sprained ankle? Has Chandler's performance dropped this year? Will we have a better chance to win by trading for 2 players who can give us at least what Chandler has this season?

The answers to those questions have just as much to do with the trade as shedding salary to get under the luxury tax threshold. Chandler's injuries are taking longer to heal, his performance has decreased this season and the team believes that the addition of 2 players who can produce at least as well as Chandler did when on the court this season will give us a better chance at winning than keeping Chandler.

I understand the emotional reaction to the trade. I'm not thrilled by it, but I don't think the team is throwing in the towel.
    The team wants to win and pinch pennies at the same time. It's hard to do both.

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    Jeez Louise. Some of you guys are starting to act like a bunch of whiny children. This team is not going to hell in a haybasket. This was something that had to be done. You haven't even given the guys a chance to put on the uniform and many of you are ready to make us a lottery team. I doubt many of you have basketball operations experience beyond realgm.com so before jumping off the bandwagon and off a cliff why don't you all wait and see what happens first.

Is anyone feeling like the Hornets cannot afford a winning team?

in my opinion this whole thing comes down to peja.
    he is the overpaid one who is not earning his checks.
    old, and injury prone...think we are stuck with him.

would have rathered him and mo pete go then tyson..lets be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet
    would have rathered him and mo pete go then tyson..lets be honest.
    Well duh..... but no one was offering to trade for Peja and his contract that calls for about $30M the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAdmiral
    Jeez Louise. Some of you guys are starting to act like a bunch of whiny children. This team is not going to hell in a haybasket. This was something that had to be done. You haven't even given the guys a chance to put on the uniform and many of you are ready to make us a lottery team. I doubt many of you have basketball operations experience beyond realgm.com so before jumping off the bandwagon and off a cliff why don't you all wait and see what happens first.
    I agree 100% but the franchise is not exactly giving fans a lot to go on, or even something to feel good about.

Last night before the game I was fine with the trade, after the game I read quote after quote of disappointed coaches and players from the Hornets. I watched a 1/2 hour NBATV show where they beat the hell out of the Hornets for making this deal and for "giving up". I read some articles before I went to bed and couldn't find one positive thing about the trade.

I want to support this trade and believe we can make a run and be better ... but when Hornets players are talking down the deal and Coach Scott is calling this the worst trade in 9 years, it's hard to see it as positive.

I'm willing to give Shinn and company the benefit of the doubt, but they simply have to present deals like this better than they did yesterday. The hornets are taking a beating in the press for trading Chandler ... an overrated Center that won't be nearly as good without CP throwing him passes, yet the Hornets came out of yesterday looking like a broke loser.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    What frustrates me the most is how it's being portrayed in the national media. No one, and I mean no one, sees this as a smart basketball move. Not one single sportswriter has tried to look at the other side of this deal, and at this point I really can't blame them.

Has anyone heard anything from the org about this trade? I haven't and that is unacceptable.

Quotes from last night were awful. Coach Scott, West, CP, etc. Not one positive thing was mentioned last night by anyone immediately connected to the franchise. Scott said this was the worst trade in the last nine years. West said he was upset and that we now have a huge question mark in the middle. Paul said we traded away a player that made him better. And it's only going to get worse.

Usually after a controversial trade the franchise will dress up the trade, even if it's impossible to do so. Most of all the coach and players will try to say all the right things, instead they said all the wrong things. Last night Scott and the players should have been reassuring fans and themselves that their goals are not lost this season, that they will do whatever it takes to prove themselves ... instead, they just sulked and complained about it "being a business". Thank you Shinn!

I will be very interested to see how Shinn and company answer for this trade, better yet it will be even more interesting to see how this team reacts.
    Where/when did Scott say this? I know he said it was the "hardest" because of the emotional factor but I didn't hear him say it was the worst.

maybe bower should go?

lets see peja and mo pete contracts. mike james / bonzi wells debacle
    now this tyson trade?

what exactly has he done well? (bower that is)

he got posey....that hasn't really worked as well as planned either (don't get me wrong i love the pose but it looks like thats not what we needed)

i just dont get how this dude is not taking any heat for his financial blunders.

if it was me he would be gone next year....

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB
    Where/when did Scott say this? I know he said it was the "hardest" because of the emotional factor but I didn't hear him say it was the worst.
    Well, that's on me I took hardest and made it worst. Either way Scott didn't say anything positive about the deal, in fact he made comments that make the franchise look bad. He said he didn't want to lose Chandler and that it was going to be tough to continue without him. I thought those were some pretty strong words for a coach to say about the franchise that has hired him, and some might say Scott is underperforming this year.

Either way, Scott's comments are not good and do not reflect positively on the franchise. No coach should talk like that unless he knows his time is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAdmiral

I wasn't around here at the time but how was this place when Baron left? Did everyone think the Hornets were doomed forever?

This is funny... people throwing in the towel because the team traded a center that people thought was a bust until he joined forces with CP3.

We traded 1 "big man" for 2... we just got deeper... we just got stronger (TC was light in the loafers)... we just got some luxury relief... y'all act like we just traded CP3 for goodness sake.

Put down the cough syrup folks the Hornets will be just fine without TC.

lol tyson weighs more than wilcox my friend..we didnt get stronger or bigger or heavier..

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    Well, that's on me I took hardest and made it worst. Either way Scott didn't say anything positive about the deal, in fact he made comments that make the franchise look bad. He said he didn't want to lose Chandler and that it was going to be tough to continue without him. I thought those were some pretty strong words for a coach to say about the franchise that has hired him, and some might say Scott is underperforming this year.

Either way, Scott's comments are not good and do not reflect positively on the franchise. No coach should talk like that unless he knows his time is limited.
    I'm pretty sure he indeed didn't want to lose Chandler. He liked him as a player and a person but unless I missed something, his quotes don't sound all that negative.

“First off, I want to wish Tyson the best of luck in OKC, he is an outstanding person and we thank him for his service as a Hornet.” said Hornets Head Coach Byron Scott. “I am excited to be able to get more frontcourt depth in bringing Chris and Joe in, they are experienced NBA players who will be able to step right in and help us. In addition, we get a promising young post player in Hardin.”
    Hornets Coach Byron Scott said the biggest challenge after completing the trade is getting his players to understand why the trade was done with 32 games remaining in the regular season.

"We still have to move forward, and we still feel we have an opportunity to be a contender in the Western Conference, " Scott said. "But I've been doing this for nine years, and this was the toughest one to handle. I know we as coaches are not supposed to be emotionally involved, but I've seen the development of that young man, and knowing what type of person he is made it very difficult."

Not a loser mentality at all...I just want real winning as opposed to the short term view displayed by the two of you. While you pray that the team "gets hot" during the second half, I simply don't think that the team had it this year with little ability to improve the team and when they were at their hottest last year, they still weren't good enough. Furthermore, other teams have gotten better. Call it what you want. But the fact is, some can see past their own hand and some can't see the forest for the trees. To each their own though.
    You want to bash others for a "crystal ball mentality" yet somehow you KNOW that we could not compete with LA and SA. So, last year was a fluke? 30-20 sucks? One game out of home court (4 seed) is terrible and we had no possibility of improving in the second half even though the first half was riddled with injuries. How is that NOT a loser mentality? Trading a starting center for two expiring contracts is not the way to cement that run for the championship IMO. To think that this was done in an effort to make that 2010 run at the great FAs is a pipe dream as well. We will be competing with much more attractive situations and not have nearly the money to spend as those that have prepared for years. Will the fan base wait until 2010 or will we lose the fantastic momentum we gained in ticket sales this year if fans feel this was a money move only. It is not simply about Chandler (although he was a big fan favorite) but as much about the perception of Shinn and his commitment to winning here. I agree with NYKF in that whether we agree on the trade or not, the front office needs to at least do some damage control to appease the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg
    Put down the cough syrup folks the Hornets will be just fine without TC.
    Tell that to West, Paul and Scott.

I've given up on catching the Lakers... but we have a legit shot at getting the #2 seed. We are 3 1/2 games back of San Antonio, and 4 games back of Denver for that 2nd spot. 1/2 of a game is where we're at to get to the 4th spot. Why on earth are so many people thinking the team won't be good without TC?

We'll be fine... I like TC and I wish him luck in the future, but TC doesn't have a PG like Chris Paul at OKC, so don't expect much from him.

Western Conference
    W L PCT GB HM RD CONF DIV PF PA DIFF STRK L10
    LA Lakers 43 10 .811 - 25-4 18-6 26-4 9-1 108.4 100.0 +8.4 Won 1 8-2
    Denver 36 17 .679 7 20-6 16-11 22-11 7-2 103.5 99.9 +3.6 Won 2 8-2
    San Antonio 35 17 .673 7 ½ 18-7 17-10 23-8 7-3 98.0 94.8 +3.1 Lost 2 6-4
    Portland 32 20 .615 10 ½ 20-5 12-15 15-15 5-4 98.9 95.3 +3.5 Lost 1 7-3
    Houston 33 21 .611 10 ½ 20-6 13-15 21-10 4-5 98.6 95.4 +3.3 Won 2 6-4
    New Orleans 31 20 .608 11 18-9 13-11 20-12 5-3 95.4 93.2 +2.2 Won 1 4-6
    Dallas 31 21 .596 11 ½ 17-8 14-13 17-14 4-4 100.8 99.7 +1.1 Lost 1 7-3
    Utah 31 23 .574 12 ½ 22-6 9-17 22-11 7-3 102.8 100.0 +2.9 Won 2 6-4

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by say-what

When the first ankle happened, he was struggling, no doubt. But as of late, before the most recent, he was regaining form. It was all about getting his head in the game and getting back into basketball shape. Before his injury he was back. The 5 games before his injury, he was averaging nearly 12 rebounds and 10 points a game.

Realistically, we may not have thrown in the towel. But you can not say the team did not take a step back by trading a proven C, one of the best at that, for two career backups and busts. Who won't even be back with the team next season. The trade didn't really help us cap wise, as we are still over.

The trade was made so that Shinn did not have to pay the luxury tax. I understand why the trade was made, but that does not mean I have to agree with it. This team basically took themselves out of the hunt.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Tell that to West, Paul and Scott.
    If West, Paul and Scott are professionals, they'll show up and give it their best. When they do so, and if Wilcox and Smith bring rebounds, toughness, scoring, etc. from their positions, these three would be incredible idiots to be pouting.

HH, it's a social club. You just don't understand.

Thread Information