Pelicans Report

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: Thunder acquires Tyson Chandler from the Hornets {multi-merged reactions}

Those aren't CP's true feelings yet.

His body language last night wasn't great at the beginning. Neither was Byron's.

I'm SO HAPPY that David came out and said what he did. Longer than any other Hornet, David has been on lockdown as far as what he's been allowed to say to the media.

Anybody who knows anything about basketball realizes how important a young, athletic center who plays good D with. I'm glad DX spoke his mind. I'm sure CP will follow at some point, because what he's said so far is not his true feelings.

I think people overrate Tyson's defense. He gets in foul trouble too early too often to even be a factor. He's not blocking shots as he did in the past... he's not changing shots as he did in the past... he only scores off feeds from CP3... I can go on but I won't.

I say give this trade about a month... you may not agree with the trade now because alot of folks are putting their hearts into this.

The deal gives us some luxury tax flex as well as opens the door for more moves. Give the front office a chance I'm sure they mapped this out before they made this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetHaven
    ?

because i call this trade what it is (a salary dump that won't make things any more flexible) i'm "on the radar?"
    David West is on the radar too

The Swagger
    i think CP3 and DX, though upset, ultimately understand the decision and will accept it I dont think one trade will have that many negative implications

i dont like this trade either but lets look at the glass half full

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    Good job, I liked the way you used facts and analysis to debate my posts.
    I mean, it is a fact that you just don't know. You're not psychic.

All I'm saying is I really don't like when people make hasty opinions about a trade when you don't know what the team is gonna do from now until the trade deadline of next season.

Looks like the Hornets tried to unload Chandler to the Bulls for Gooden and Noah. It doesn't say if the Bulls rejected it or if the Hornets prefered the Thunder offer, my guess would the former since Chandler doesn't really bring a new dimension to their interior game, they seem to be looking for interior scoring hence the Bosh / Amaré rumors.

I would have prefer that trade as well because even if Noah might not be the next big thing, he is alright, he is developping and we would have been able to keep him for at least the next 2 years because he is on his rookie contract. Unfortunately, it takes 2 willing teams to make a trade.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...dler_to_bulls/

The Franchise    Contributor   

DWest has never been on lockdown about what he "could" say. He just doesn't talk. I don't think anybody, anywhere, could tell him what to do or say, ever. It's just his nature to not comment. The fact that he did comment, and comment like he did, says a lot about how he feels. And I completely agree with the above about CP. Hopefully he was at least given all the information, even if what he would prefer wasn't what happened, he should be in the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II
    DWest has never been on lockdown about what he "could" say. He just doesn't talk. I don't think anybody, anywhere, could tell him what to do or say, ever. It's just his nature to not comment. The fact that he did comment, and comment like he did, says a lot about how he feels. And I completely agree with the above about CP. Hopefully he was at least given all the information, even if what he would prefer wasn't what happened, he should be in the loop.
    George Shinn told everybody in the organization that if one bad comment about either Oklahoma City (in 2005/2006/2007) or New Orleans (2007/2008) was attributed in the press to ANY Hornets employee or player, he would be traded or fired.

I heard that straight from the horse's mouth. Shinn actually takes CREDIT for this and wears it as a badge of honor. It's part of his "aww shucks I'm in this with ya'll" routine that he had going for so long in Charlotte. Everybody abided by that dictum until West and Scott broke free yesterday.

Nobody included Byron Scott's quote, incidentally...

"But I've been doing this for nine years, and this was the toughest one to handle. I know we as coaches are not supposed to be emotionally involved, but I've seen the development of that young man, and knowing what type of person he is made it very difficult."

this goes back to some bad contracts, which a lot of teams end up with, they look good for the moment, but end up not turning out so good. Now to Tyson, for the love of God, he is not that great. He is OK, but come one, did you hear any Bull fans moaning when he put up 11 and 11 last year, no, they in turn said, it was a one year wonder. We will recover from losing the Hall of Fame player, known as Tyson Chandler. We need to do a better job scouting, we suck at it, and figure out how to move at least Peterson and his contract. Peja, well we can only hope he and Posey start playing good, because they are ours for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg

I say give this trade about a month... you may not agree with the trade now because alot of folks are putting their hearts into this.

The deal gives us some luxury tax flex as well as opens the door for more moves. Give the front office a chance I'm sure they mapped this out before they made this deal.
    I agree with this part of your statement, especially the last little paragraph. With the abundance of Bigs we have now, don't be surprised if the FO makes another move by thursday or before the start of next season. We could very well move Marks, Bowen, Ely, and/or Mopete.

All of the initial comments coming from the players, and Coach Scott, have indicated some displeasure with the trade. Whether it's just the tip of the iceberg and it plagues the team's psyche the rest of the season, or if it's just a necessary part of dealing with the replacement of one of your most popular and integral teammates remains to be seen. I just hope every one can remain professional about it and not end up putting this team in total meltdon by season's end.

Sec. 110 - You know me! Contributor roturn's Avatar
    I would love to see us move Mo Pete. With Daniels having an expiring contract next year, this would give us another 12 million to flex with.

I wonder if their is any chance of Salmons being traded for anything we have. I could see Peja or Butler moving to the bench to accomodate Salmons. An expiring contract would be nice too. I think if we could get 8 million in cap space we could find a decent center in FA in the offseason.

Hall of Famer Contributor Ry4598's Avatar
    Shocking for a guy with a "bad attitude" who "the locker room was not upset to see go"

Starter

Where are the Loyal Hornets Fan???

You guys have got to be kidding about this trade of Tyson Chandler. I have had enough of the dark and gloom thread of the Hornets falling out of playoffs contention, folks threatening to return their season tickets and talks about CP and D-West wanting to leave now that Tyson is gone. This is getting to be silly. Tyson was good guy and did help with the success of this team, but c'mon, this team will only go as far as CP and D-West take them.

I'm willing to bet that Tyson Chandler will never be an all-star, a hall of famer and/or a major contributor to any team. With that said, he should be expendable. This was a smart move by the Hornets, considering the situation. And I think OKC will soon find out that Tyson was only as good as CP made him.

I wish Tyson well and the best of luck in OKC. Now lets move on, because we still have a very competitive team.

Juz my two cents.

we are, as we have self-criticism.

Trade's done - gotta hope for the best.

As I look at this, Wilcox and Smith are better than an injured and/or under performing Tyson.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead311
    Yeah like how? No one wants Peja, Mo Pete or Posey. Even if we gave other teams draft picks and Julian no one else is going to take on any of those 3 horrible contracts. Unless you want to take on worse contracts like Jamal Tinsley or Eddy Curry we're up sh1ts creek without out a paddle. Peja and Mo are seriously untradeable and Posey is close to being untradeable.
    Actually, we have $12M in contracts that expire by the 2010 offseason, the offseason that teams are preparing for. That would be how.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry4598
    Shocking for a guy with a "bad attitude" who "the locker room was not upset to see go"
    I saw that comment also...i was thinking I've seen it all when the hornets traded tyson....until i read that

Quote Originally Posted by Keewon
    Looks like the Hornets tried to unload Chandler to the Bulls for Gooden and Noah. It doesn't say if the Bulls rejected it or if the Hornets prefered the Thunder offer, my guess would the former since Chandler doesn't really bring a new dimension to their interior game, they seem to be looking for interior scoring hence the Bosh / Amaré rumors.

I would have prefer that trade as well because even if Noah might not be the next big thing, he is alright, he is developping and we would have been able to keep him for at least the next 2 years because he is on his rookie contract. Unfortunately, it takes 2 willing teams to make a trade.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...dler_to_bulls/
    I would assume the Bulls turned it down as that would have been a better trade for the Hornets. At least they would have had a young big under a reasonable contract for a long term.

Shinn opening night" We will do whatever it takes to win a Championship"

I was there, I heard him say it. Opening night Shinn came center court and told the fan's thank you for the support and "we will do whatever it takes to win the NBA championship"

Oh really George! You should have said " We will do whatever it takes to win a championship except pay the luxury tax"

Way to go George, way to alienate all your new season ticket holders! It will be interesting to see what happens next year. Im still renewing but I have already talked to alot of people who are not renewing.
    Bringing it back to the bottom of the map!

Cause the team as presently constructed could get out of the second round...

I'll was certainly renewing before the all-star break, now less sure.

You know, a lot changed from opening night to now - including injuries and sub-par play. Tyson has been hit with both.

Not to mention this little thing called a recession that has many NBA teams looking to cut player costs......

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    The people higher up in the Front Office do not want to win. That is why this team will never win a championship.

Has anyone read the article in the Times Picayune this morning? Or heard what ESPN said?

The Hornets took themselves out of the race for a championship, because they are cheap. They made the Thunder better while we took a step back.

We traded a good center, which is very hard to find, for two career backups who could not even start for the Thunder.

Come the Conference Finals, if the Hornets are still there we will be laughing, wondering how we got by. But if we aren't, every Hornet fan will be looking back at February 17, 2009.

They were out of the race 20 games ago. We're a six seed in the west, not to mention the best teams in the east. It's not the NCAA tournament where you can go on a freaky run and all of a sudden, you're Syracuse in the title game. We can't beat the Lakers, Spurs, Cavs, Celtics, or Magic in a seven game series. I'm sure there are a few other teams that would usher us out. Sucks, I know, but reality is what it is. We weren't good enough. The other teams improved more than we did or were already better than we were.

Thread Information